[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Why a new harddisk drive fails file compare checking?

xjzhu@violet.waterloo.edu (XiaoJun Zhu) (06/09/91)

Dear Netters:

I just upgraded my harddisk drive, it's a CONNER120MB, but it gives me
lots of troubles since. Now, the most evident problem is that it fails
file compare checking, the error message I get is:

(i). End of file mark not found.
(ii). Compare Error at offset ...(address).

If anyone knows the cause of the problem, please reply to me as soon as
possible. Thanks in advance.

ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (06/11/91)

xjzhu@violet.waterloo.edu (XiaoJun Zhu) writes:

> I just upgraded my harddisk drive, it's a CONNER120MB, but it gives me
> lots of troubles since. Now, the most evident problem is that it fails
> file compare checking, the error message I get is:

I'd take a look at external cache configurations.  Barring that, you
may have one of the few faulty drives (actually, maybe the controller
on the drive).  This is a CP30104 drive?  Try getting another from your
distributor and try it.