[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] The dog ate it... Keyboard Port Failure

mds@duke.cs.duke.edu (Mark David Shattuck) (06/11/91)

	This weekend our dog bit through the keyboard cable.  I got
a new keyboard, but alas, it seems that something else is wrong.  I
get the message "keyboard error! user check".  Everything else works
fine. (With Windows and the mouse I can still do lots of things:)  I
would like to fix this without having to buy a new motherboard.  Any
suggestion would be appreciated!!

	I had one thought.  Does anyone know if there exists a keyboard
port on an expansion card?  I've called two places with no luck, but
you never know.

System:

	DTK PEM-2500 25Mhz 386 w/64K cache.
	new focus 5001 keboard.

Thanks Alot!
--
mark shattuck (mds@physics.phy.duke.edu)

mds@duke.cs.duke.edu (Mark David Shattuck) (06/12/91)

In article <676645314@globe01.cs.duke.edu> I wrote:

>	This weekend our dog bit through the keyboard cable.  I got

	Several people have suggested that I check to make sure
that the keyboard is set to AT not XT.  I have tried all possible
setting and I still get keyboard failure.  I also tested the new
keyboard on a 386 at work and found that it works fine.

Thanks again,

--
mark shattuck (mds@physics.phy.duke.edu)

josephc@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Joseph Chiu) (06/12/91)

mds@duke.cs.duke.edu (Mark David Shattuck) writes:

>	This weekend our dog bit through the keyboard cable.  I got

Gee, and if you'd had a cat, it'd have eaten up your mouse's tail!

>a new keyboard, but alas, it seems that something else is wrong.  I
>get the message "keyboard error! user check".  Everything else works
>fine.

>System:

>	DTK PEM-2500 25Mhz 386 w/64K cache.
>	new focus 5001 keboard.

Aha!  Turn your keyboard over, and there should be a sticker that tells you
the configuration for the dip-switches.  You may have to switch the keyboard
from the Enhanced-AT to the AT mode.  The dip switches are located underneath
the logo-panel on the left side of the keyboard (that's after you've turned
it right-side-up again).  Push down on the upper-edge of the logo-pad as if
you're trying to massage the thing, and the cover should lift-up enough for
you to pull it out of the way.

--Joseph

Unsolicited endorsement:  I'm the "rep" for my house (dorm).  I recently
acquired 2 of the Focus-5001 keyboards, and I have gotten relatively
good comments about it.  The only problem is that of the two keyboards, one
had a somewhat softer set of keys than the other (but consistent throughout
each of the keyboards).  While I strongly recommend the 5001 keyboard to
anyone who wants a 'better keyboard' and want a calculator (a simple dealy,
but handy when you forget bring yours to the computer room), ask to see
the keyboard and make sure it feels firm enough for you.  (Well, some people
like softer tacticle-feedback, but I was raised on the PC keyboards with
the weird return key.)

Just a satisfied customer, no financial interest.  Blah blah.
>Thanks Alot!
>--
>mark shattuck (mds@physics.phy.duke.edu)
--
Joseph Chiu, Dept. of Computer Science, Caltech | Rrr Redundant Tautology System
1-57 Fleming House, Caltech, Pasadena, CA 91126 | Ttt Triplicate Archival Backup

josephc@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Joseph Chiu) (06/12/91)

mds@duke.cs.duke.edu (Mark David Shattuck) writes:

>	Several people have suggested that I check to make sure
>that the keyboard is set to AT not XT.  I have tried all possible
>setting and I still get keyboard failure.  I also tested the new
>keyboard on a 386 at work and found that it works fine.

If the Extended-AT vs. AT setting doesn't work...  Perhaps you can get
updated BIOS for your system.