[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] "darkening" colors on VGA cards?

s_rohrbacher (06/11/91)

Hi!

Is there a way to compute to a given color a darker one on a VGA card (256
color modes preferred)?
E.g., given "white" as input, the algorithm should output "gray" and so on.
Up to now, I'm using an ad-hoc lookup-table, but this approach relies on the
standard palette...

*ANY* ideas welcome,

TNXIA,
         Kai

Kai Rohrbacher                             | "(West-)Berlin war ein sur-
Internet : S_ROHRBACHER@IRAV1.IRA.UKA.DE   |  realistischer Kaefig: die
Bitnet   : UKB8@DKAUNI2.BITNET             |  drinnen sassen, waren frei!"

ins845b@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr k.l. lentin) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.132516.5643@ira.uka.de> s_rohrbacher@iravcl.ira.uka.de writes:
>Hi!
>
>Is there a way to compute to a given color a darker one on a VGA card (256
>color modes preferred)?
>E.g., given "white" as input, the algorithm should output "gray" and so on.
>Up to now, I'm using an ad-hoc lookup-table, but this approach relies on the
>standard palette...
>
>*ANY* ideas welcome,

Try subtracting a constant amount from all three colour planes or reducing
them by a percentage. This will maintain the colour and adjust the brightness.

--
|\evin (ins845b@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au)  | All reasonable offers accepted