[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] SCSI controllers - a summary

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (05/28/91)

A few days ago I posted a note asking about a controller for the 700Meg
SCSI disk I'm getting.

The responce was quite good, but I did not expect it to be as one-sided
as it turned out.  Practically everybody recommended the Adaptec controllers.

Here are some of the comments:

       I also use such Siemens drives, and the only controller that
       doesn't make any trouble is the Adaptec !
---------------
       I would stay away from Future Domain.  At a company where I used to
       work we had so much trouble with their drivers screwing up the FAT's
       and other things we wanted to write our own.  There is good support
       for Adaptec for other OS's other than DOS also (Unix, OS/2 1.1, etc.)
--------------
       On the other hand, I work with the Adaptec 154x-series controller all
       the time in everything from 16-MHz 386sx's to 25-MHz 486/EISA boxes,
       all under SCO Unix.  I *love* them.  Fast, reliable, extremely well
       supported, and inexpensive.  They've always been completely painless.
       The other controller that we have used extensively is the Western
       Digital WD7000FAAST.  Not as fast and not as well supported.
---------------
       I do happen to have a WD 7000FAST SCSI board which I'd recommend you
       stay away from  unless you're interested in losing 40-60K of
       RAM to load their drivers :-(

The rest of the comments went pretty much the same way - thanks to everybody
who responded to my question.

It should go without saying, that I ordered an Adaptec controller today. :-)

-frisk

Fridrik Skulason                 Technical Editor of the Virus Bulletin (UK)
(author of F-PROT)               E-Mail: frisk@rhi.hi.is    Fax: 354-1-28801

bking@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Barry King) (06/01/91)

> who responded to my question.
>
> It should go without saying, that I ordered an Adaptec controller today. :-)
>
> -frisk
>
> Fridrik Skulason                 Technical Editor of the Virus Bulletin (UK)
> (author of F-PROT)               E-Mail: frisk@rhi.hi.is    Fax: 354-1-28801

Gee, that's too bad.  You may have overlooked another viable alternative
in the DPT SmartConnex (PM2001/95 or 90).  I have an Adaptec 1540B
sitting on the shelf that, while a perfectly competent SCSI HBA, is
eclipsed by the DPT in both reduced SCSI overhead (ie lower seek times)
and increased throughput.  It's in the same price ballpark as the
Adaptec.  Oh well.  I'm sure you'll get a lot of use out of the Adaptec
unless you plan on using OS/2...

Barry King              bking@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

bob@uis-oc.UUCP (Robert J. Mathias Jr.) (06/08/91)

> sitting on the shelf that, while a perfectly competent SCSI HBA, is
> eclipsed by the DPT in both reduced SCSI overhead (ie lower seek times)
> and increased throughput.  It's in the same price ballpark as the
> Adaptec.  Oh well.  I'm sure you'll get a lot of use out of the Adaptec
> unless you plan on using OS/2...

What's the problem with OS/2 and the Adaptec 1542B.  We have been using
it quite successfully under OS/2.  In fact, we just switch to the new
LADDR driver (OS/2 1.21) for the Adaptec controller.  In fact, it seems
that Adaptec seems to be the best supported SCSI controller for non-MSDOS
OS'es.

--
Bob Mathias                          uucp: ccicpg!uis-oc!bob@uunet.uu.net
Unisys Corporation                   CServ: 70340,165

bking@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Barry King) (06/12/91)

bob@uis-oc.UUCP (Robert J. Mathias Jr.) writes:

> > sitting on the shelf that, while a perfectly competent SCSI HBA, is
> > eclipsed by the DPT in both reduced SCSI overhead (ie lower seek times)
> > and increased throughput.  It's in the same price ballpark as the
> > Adaptec.  Oh well.  I'm sure you'll get a lot of use out of the Adaptec
> > unless you plan on using OS/2...
>
> What's the problem with OS/2 and the Adaptec 1542B.  We have been using
> it quite successfully under OS/2.  In fact, we just switch to the new
> LADDR driver (OS/2 1.21) for the Adaptec controller.  In fact, it seems
> that Adaptec seems to be the best supported SCSI controller for non-MSDOS
> OS'es.
>
> --

Well, when I purchased the 1540B a year or so ago, noone at Adaptec I
spoke to on the phone nor anyone I communicated with via Compuserve were
able to come up with OS/2 drivers which worked with OS/2 1.2 at the time.
 I was told that the 1.1 drivers had been pulled from distribution and
were not ready for general consumption.  That was, like I said, about a
year ago.

If the LADDR drivers are now ready then I will try and get them.  How
long have you been running the 1542B with OS/2?