[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Looking for a 130MB IDE Drive

idb@eng.cam.ac.uk (Ian Braithwaite) (06/11/91)

I'm looking to buy a 100+ MB ide hard drive, and have come up with a
couple of low cost alternatives.

a) Seagate ST1144A	(A lot of bad things seem to get said about
   130MB, 17ms		 Seagate drives)
and
b) Maxtor 7120A		(Havn't heard anything about these)
   130MB, 15ms, 32K cache

Both are available in the UK for around 300 pounds.

If anyone has any good or bad stories about either of these, I'd
be interested to hear them.

Thanks,
Ian (idb@eng.cam.ac.uk)

tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) (06/12/91)

In article <IDB.91Jun10200649@tw800.eng.cam.ac.uk>, idb@eng.cam.ac.uk (Ian Braithwaite) writes:
> I'm looking to buy a 100+ MB ide hard drive, and have come up with a
> couple of low cost alternatives.
>
> a) Seagate ST1144A	(A lot of bad things seem to get said about
>    130MB, 17ms		 Seagate drives)
> and
> b) Maxtor 7120A		(Havn't heard anything about these)
>    130MB, 15ms, 32K cache
>
> Both are available in the UK for around 300 pounds.
>
> If anyone has any good or bad stories about either of these, I'd
> be interested to hear them.
>
> Thanks,
> Ian (idb@eng.cam.ac.uk)

I have played with the Maxtor 40 and 80 MB IDE drives.  They are _very_ fast
and quiet.  To be fairly untechincal,  they are great!

(I'm biased against Seagate drives so I wont say anything about them.  However,
their Wren line and Imprimis Line are great!)

Jason Garms
tgoose@eng.umd.edu

eejsc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (John Croft) (06/12/91)

In <1991Jun12.001339.19633@eng.umd.edu> tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) writes:

>In article <IDB.91Jun10200649@tw800.eng.cam.ac.uk>, idb@eng.cam.ac.uk (Ian Braithwaite) writes:
>> I'm looking to buy a 100+ MB ide hard drive, and have come up with a
>> couple of low cost alternatives.
>>
>> a) Seagate ST1144A	(A lot of bad things seem to get said about
>>    130MB, 17ms		 Seagate drives)
>> and
>> b) Maxtor 7120A		(Havn't heard anything about these)
>>    130MB, 15ms, 32K cache
>>
>I have played with the Maxtor 40 and 80 MB IDE drives.  They are _very_ fast
>and quiet.  To be fairly untechincal,  they are great!
[deleted]
>Jason Garms
>tgoose@eng.umd.edu

I have a Maxtor 7120AT, and it is great! _FAST_! I've only just bought
the machine - so no idea on reliability - although my friend with a
Maxtor 7080AT (80Meg IDE) hasn't had any problems with his.

The 7120 refers to DOS thinking it is ~120 * 2^20 (i think), a chkdsk
returns about 129,9xx,xxx bytes. Specs are:
	16 heads, 936 cyls, 17 sects and 130.3 MB (AMI 386sx Bios)

Cheers JohnC
--
John Croft      eejsc@marlin.jcu.edu.au -or- zolos@paladine.jcu.edu.au
         Tutor, Dept EE Engineering, James Cook Uni, Townsville,Q 4811

mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) (06/13/91)

In article <IDB.91Jun10200649@tw800.eng.cam.ac.uk> idb@eng.cam.ac.uk (Ian Braithwaite) writes:
>I'm looking to buy a 100+ MB ide hard drive, and have come up with a
>couple of low cost alternatives.
>
>a) Seagate ST1144A	(A lot of bad things seem to get said about
>   130MB, 17ms		 Seagate drives)
>and
>b) Maxtor 7120A		(Havn't heard anything about these)
>   130MB, 15ms, 32K cache
>
>Both are available in the UK for around 300 pounds.
>
>If anyone has any good or bad stories about either of these, I'd
>be interested to hear them.
>
>Thanks,
>Ian (idb@eng.cam.ac.uk)

Without any other knowledge of these drives, I would definitely get the Maxtor!

 * * * * * * ====================== (Internet) mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
* * * * * *  ====================== meir@msb.com  mig@asteroids.cs.columbia.edu
 * * * * * * ====================== (Amateur Radio) N2JPG