[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] DeskJet or Laser Printer

mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) (05/15/91)

What printers give the best quality output at the most reasonable price?

Should I get an ink jet or a laser?
It seems that drivers may not be available for the newer printers to go with
older software.  And, if I go with a laser, will I have to make expensive
upgrades?  This is for a home, and shouldn't be tremendous or noisier than a
dot matrix.

What is a good, cheap laser printer, anyway, which I should be able to get
drivers for for some time?

 * * * * * * *  ======================= Meir Green
* * * * * * * * ======================= mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
 * * * * * * *  ======================= N2JPG

PZ2@psuvm.psu.edu (David L. Phillips) (05/15/91)

For home use, the DeskJet is my choice.  Most eyes cannot see the difference in
print quality compared with laser...and it costs about a third as much. There
are drivers aplenty for virtually every application.

calloway@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Frank Calloway) (05/17/91)

I owned an HP DeskJet and now own an HP LaserJet IIP.  The DeskJet was
a very nice printer for the money, but I like the laser printer better
because it uses "dry" instead of "wet" technology.  The DeskJet deposits
wet ink on the paper, which causes no problems when printing letters and
such.  If, however, you are printing graphics that contain large amounts
of black, so much wet ink is deposited that the paper wrinkles quite a
bit.

Considering the reasonable cost of the DeskJet and the high quality of
its output, I considered this a reasonable trade-off.  But if printing
high-quality graphics is important to you, you may want to keep the
wrinkling in mind when choosing a printer.

Frank Calloway

ksteele@epas.toronto.edu (Ken Steele) (05/20/91)

There is no question that Laser printers offer superior print
resolution, on less expensive paper stock.  The printers themselves,
however, are generally twice the price of the new HP DeskJet 500
(taking student discounts into account) and replacement cartridges are
considerably more than the $19 for a DeskJet cartridge.

So I believe that there is also no question that "the best printer FOR
THE MONEY" is an inkjet.  The DeskJet 500 is about a third the size of
a laser, draws CONSIDERABLY less electricity, and offers much more
trouble-free operation.

And just the other day, I was reading an article on magnetic fields and
possible connections to cancer.  Now, granted, this whole subject is a
little controversial, and I'm no expert, but the figures are quite
astounding for laser printers and electric shavers, not to mention
colour monitors.  The conclusion: laser printers are not appropriate
to the home environment.  (I know, I know, many will disagree).

I've found the DeskJet produces some remarkable output, with the right
software, and I have only wished for a laser when preparing
camera-ready copy for offset printing.  (The DeskJet/PageMaker output
looks just great in photocopies, but in offset printing the resolution
seems to be a problem).  Of course, if I owned a Laser printer, I'd want
a full-fledged linotronic typesetter when it came to offset printing, anyway...

As I've said before, the DeskJet 500's output, with Lazer paper and
using Windows 3.0 and Adobe Type Manager, is truly astounding.  You'd
have to see it to believe it wasn't laser...

						Ken Steele
						University of Toronto

[This space intentionally left blank.]

dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com (Danny Low) (05/20/91)

>What is a good, cheap laser printer, anyway, which I should be able to get
>drivers for for some time?
> * * * * * * *  ======================= Meir Green

Having used both laser printers and ink jets, I can say that a GOOD
ink jet (e.g. HP Deskjet 500) will give you quality as good as
any laser printer for half the price. Ink jets are paper sensitive
so you may have to experiment to find a brand of paper that works
well. The paper does get wrinkled if you do a lot of dense graphics.

The best cheap laser printer is the HP IIP. HP laser printers are the
standard that all other laser printers compete against. Everyone
supports HP laser printers. There are more accessories (e.g.
font cartridges) available for the HP laser printers than for
all the others combined. There are HP laser printers clones
that emulate to various degres an HP laser printer. They are usually
cheaper. Just beware that the emulation on many of the clones is
NOT good enough to pass muster in all cases. PC Magazine in their
annual printer issues indicate how closely a HP Laserjet clone
comes to fully emulating the Laserjet.

			     Danny Low
	        North America Personal Computer Division
	               dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com
		          HP4200/29 720-3622

johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (05/22/91)

In article <5870043@pollux.svale.hp.com> you write:
>>What is a good, cheap laser printer, anyway, which I should be able to get
>>drivers for for some time?

>Having used both laser printers and ink jets, I can say that a GOOD
>ink jet (e.g. HP Deskjet 500) will give you quality as good as
>any laser printer for half the price. Ink jets are paper sensitive ...

This is entirely true, particularly the part about the paper.  The only
paper I could find that gave nice crisp results on my deskjet was cheap
envelopes.  I never found any 8.5 x 11 paper that didn't smudge a little,
not even the expensive special printer paper.

>The best cheap laser printer is the HP IIP. HP laser printers are the
>standard that all other laser printers compete against. Everyone
>supports HP laser printers. There are more accessories (e.g.
>font cartridges) available for the HP laser printers than for
>all the others combined. There are HP laser printers clones
>that emulate to various degres an HP laser printer. They are usually
>cheaper. Just beware that the emulation on many of the clones is
>NOT good enough to pass muster in all cases.

The IIP is a fine little printer, but I think you can do better.  (Then
again, I don't work for HP.)  I have an IBM 4019e which has flawless HP
emulation, both PCL which is the laser printer language and HPGL which is
the pen plotter language.  It is slightly faster, 6 PPM rather than 4, and
has at least as many font cards, including equivalents for all of HP's
cartridges as well as lots of foreign languages including Arabic and Hebrew.
It has better paper handing options than the HP, such as a 500 sheet paper
tray that snaps on underneath and an envelope feeder.  It lets you feed
paper straight through which is nice if you'r printing transparancies or
heavy stock.  (The IIP may do that, I haven't looked at one in detail.)  It
is cheaper to run, even though the toner cartridge costs over $100, since
you only have to change it every 15,000 pages, not the typical 3000.  I paid
$925 after an IBM rebate last December, slightly less than a IIP cost.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|world}!iecc!johnl

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (05/22/91)

In article <5870043@pollux.svale.hp.com> dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com (Danny Low)
>>What is a good, cheap laser printer, anyway, which I should be able to get
>>drivers for for some time?
>> * * * * * * *  ======================= Meir Green

>Having used both laser printers and ink jets, I can say that a GOOD
>ink jet (e.g. HP Deskjet 500) will give you quality as good as
>any laser printer for half the price.

>The best cheap laser printer is the HP IIP. HP laser printers are the
>standard that all other laser printers compete against. Everyone

   You must either be blind or in HP sales (or both ?).  The Deskjet 500 is
a very good ink jet, but it is a ink jet.  Anyone that can't identify/tell
Deskjet 500 (or any other inkjet available today) from a good, cheap laser
printer (like the IIp) is either blind or doesn't care.  There is a difference,
you can tell on ANY paper, the difference is fairly small, BOTH look very
good.  I love everybody going out of their way to recommend no name and clone
laser printers for cheap lasers.  The IIp is as good as ANY, in some cases,
somewhat slower, but the support is great and parts/repair availability is
second to none.  Who the hell is going to be able to get parts, schematics,
or do service on 'china-freds' laser printer in 5 years when it breaks.  I
can't even get most of the parts from apple to fix my apple laserwriter when
it breaks.  My service contract company must be losing their shirts, at $14
per month they have given me 2 new printers this year to replace broken ones
they can't get a stupid latch of something for.  I wouldn't consider anything
other than a name brand like HP, and both the Deskjet 500 & IIP are good,
and the IIp is better.
al
--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

dahosek@biivax.dp.beckman.com (05/23/91)

Regarding the 300dpi Inkjet vs. laser printer debate, for the
sort of work I do (largely TeX==much bitmapping and downloaded
fonts), Inkjet/dot matrix printers are far too slow. In fact,
you'll find that if you do much of anything that isn't printing
with internal fonts.

Also, if you want HP emulation, buy HP. As someone else pointed
out the service is superlative and the product is quality. Last I
checked the only true LaserJet compatibles were the LJ, LJ+,
LJII, LJIID and LJIIP (the III series had not been released yet).

Similarly, if you want PostScript, buy Adobe. I've seen too many
people encounter problems with third party "PostScript"
cartridges to recommend anything else with a good conscience. If
the cart wasn't released or licensed by Adobe, chances are it's
not 100% compatible. Do you want to be the one who finds
themselves looking a deadline in the face while your printer
refuses to function properly?

-dh

--
Don Hosek // Quixote Digital Typography   714-625-0147
     dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu

dahosek@biivax.dp.beckman.com (05/24/91)

In article <1991May20.131241.13043@epas.toronto.edu>, ksteele@epas.toronto.edu (Ken Steele) writes:
> I've found the DeskJet produces some remarkable output, with the right
> software, and I have only wished for a laser when preparing
> camera-ready copy for offset printing.  (The DeskJet/PageMaker output
> looks just great in photocopies, but in offset printing the resolution
> seems to be a problem).  Of course, if I owned a Laser printer, I'd want
> a full-fledged linotronic typesetter when it came to offset printing, anyway...

Actually, 300dpi output in general looks very bad when offset
print. I don't work with that end of the printing business
directly, so I only have the vaguest notion of the reasons for
this (problems with the dot coding in the offset process, I
believe). Anyone thinking about offset printing something should
seriously consider paying the few hundred dollars it would cost
to typeset their book instead of just laser printing it.

-dh

--

dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com (Danny Low) (05/24/91)

>(Allen J Michielsen)
>   You must either be blind or in HP sales (or both ?).  The Deskjet 500 is
>a very good ink jet, but it is a ink jet.  Anyone that can't identify/tell
>Deskjet 500 (or any other inkjet available today) from a good, cheap laser
>printer (like the IIp) is either blind or doesn't care.  There is a difference,
>you can tell on ANY paper, the difference is fairly small, BOTH look very
>good.

I'm just an HP employee who gets a great deal on HP Printers. I bought
both a IIP and a DJ 500.  The difference in quality is small as you wrote.
However even with my employee discount the price difference is BIG. The
price difference is even bigger with street prices that others have
to pay. If you do not have the bucks the DJ 500 gives you a better
deal for virtually the same quality. I would not buy a DJ 500 if
printing 300 dpi graphics was the main use. The DJ cannot compete with
a LJ for that but for text with some graphics, the DJ offers a good
deal for much less money.

mheyda@heyda.austin.ibm.com (Michael Heyda) (05/24/91)

> There is no question that Laser printers offer superior print
> resolution, on less expensive paper stock.  The printers themselves,
> however, are generally twice the price of the new HP DeskJet 500
> (taking student discounts into account) and replacement cartridges are
> considerably more than the $19 for a DeskJet cartridge.

It is true that the cartridge cost considerably less.  However, a study
was done and it was found that it cost about 4 cents/page to print on an
inkjet printer and only about 2-3 cents/page to print on a laser printer.
This was of course before the $5 refils for inkjets were offered (hey... now
I can get several different color ink cartridges and do some color
separations....)
						Mike Heyda

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (05/25/91)

Now most electronics houses in New York are offering the HP deskwriter
for $499.  I bought mine this week from 47Th Street Photo ($524
including shipping).  It is WONDERFUL.  It is much faster than any
macintosh printer I have ever used (well, I have a Mac II).  The
quality is very good, especially on Xerocopy 4024 paper.  The print
driver acts like a laserprinter!  25-400% magnification is available,
just like the laserwriter driver!  They even substitute some 300dpi
patterns for a few of the 72dpi grey patterns stored in the system
file (but not for the pie, or the diagonal line patterns,
unfortunately).  Not even the laserwriter driver does this!

My only regret is that color quickdraw doesn't produce grey patterns
when in b/w mode for mathematica 3-D plots.  I'm thinking about trying
to write a patch to quickdraw to do this: polygon fills really should
try to produce greys on the mac screen.  If quickdraw would only do
this, users could have all the features of the system 6.1 printing
tools with only a deskwriter.

Thanks, apple for the stylewriter.  It caused HP to reduce the price
of its deskwriter, and will make thousands of new HP customers very
happy.

Don Gillies	     |  University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
gillies@cs.uiuc.edu  |  Digital Computer Lab, 1304 W. Springfield, Urbana IL

--

whitney@reed.cs.unlv.edu (Lee Whitney) (05/29/91)

HP's Laser Printers are one of the few products that are relentlessly
cloned and still manage to offer one of the best
price/performance/reliability ratios.

Although, I would agree in recomending HP Printers, you should at
least mention the IIIP, successor to the IIP.  Which is far superior
to the IIP and at a resonable price.  It is basically a 4ppm Series
III.  It has resolution enhancement, twice the memory (1 meg), and
actually processes pages faster than the series III (due to some
hardware obscurity I can't remember).

As far as the Deskjet, I consider a toy whose days are numbered.  How
irritating to have to wait forever for printing and to walk on eggs
just so you dont smudge important documents.  The Laser Printer is
becoming a commodity item and when it does the Deskjet will obsolete
along with a significant part of the dot-matrix market.  It's already
tough to justify a Deskjet even for home use when a laser is only
about 15-20% more.

lsh@polari.UUCP (Lee Hauser) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.201446.8595@unlv.edu> whitney@jimi.cs.unlv.edu (Lee Whitney) writes:

>As far as the Deskjet, I consider a toy whose days are numbered.  How
>irritating to have to wait forever for printing and to walk on eggs
>just so you dont smudge important documents.  The Laser Printer is
>becoming a commodity item and when it does the Deskjet will obsolete
>along with a significant part of the dot-matrix market.  It's already
>tough to justify a Deskjet even for home use when a laser is only
>about 15-20% more.

Gee, my documents, draft or finals, don't smear, since HP reformulated the ink.
Neither do I wait forever for a printout.  I bought my DJ+ for $300, about
50% or better the price of a series P LaserJet.  I agree that if laser keep
going down in price the deskjets and dot matrixes will be a thing of the past,
but I had $300 to spend on a printer three months ago, not $400-$600 to spend
on a laser a year from now.  It wasn't tough at all to justify the DJ, with
non-smearing, 120cps, near-laser final output and non-smearing, 240 cps,
better-than-the-nlq-on-my-last-dot-matrix printer draft mode.  Amazing, isn't
it, how I manage to have a practical computer system for about $1000.
About 30% of what a large number of the attorneys I work for (who aren't even
computer literate) think is absolutely necessary to get done half of what I
do every day...

--
------- ======= ------- ======= ------- ======= ------- ======= ------- =======
                  uw-beaver!sumax!polari!lsh -- lsh@polari

scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.201446.8595@unlv.edu> whitney@jimi.cs.unlv.edu (Lee Whitney) writes:

>As far as the Deskjet, I consider a toy whose days are numbered.  How
>irritating to have to wait forever for printing and to walk on eggs
>just so you dont smudge important documents.  The Laser Printer is
>becoming a commodity item and when it does the Deskjet will obsolete
>along with a significant part of the dot-matrix market.  It's already
>tough to justify a Deskjet even for home use when a laser is only
>about 15-20% more.

This is baloney.  Why would H-P have just introduced a new model in the
DJ 500?  The ink doesn't smudge now.  The machine is utterly silent.
And with ATM, I can have all the fonts I want.  And, very importantly,
there is *no* warm up time to print.  With both ser. and par. connectors,
You can even drive one printer from 2 computers!

For low volume use, like a page or 3 each day or so, this is the most
sensible printer you can get for the money.  It absolutely takes care
of all of my home office requirements.

Now, please- can you let us all know where to pick up that laser printer
you mentioned for $570?  (1.2 times $475 for a DJ500)...

-scott

mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May28.201446.8595@unlv.edu> whitney@jimi.cs.unlv.edu (Lee Whitney) writes:
>As far as the Deskjet, I consider a toy whose days are numbered.  How
>irritating to have to wait forever for printing and to walk on eggs
>just so you dont smudge important documents.  The Laser Printer is
>becoming a commodity item and when it does the Deskjet will obsolete
>along with a significant part of the dot-matrix market.  It's already
>tough to justify a Deskjet even for home use when a laser is only
>about 15-20% more.
Huh?
Deskjet $450
Laser   $800

 * * * * * * *  ======================= Meir Green
* * * * * * * * ======================= mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
 * * * * * * *  ======================= N2JPG

lair@ellis.uchicago.edu (Scott A. Laird) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May29.193122.22293@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) writes:
>In article <1991May28.201446.8595@unlv.edu> whitney@jimi.cs.unlv.edu (Lee Whitney) writes:
>>As far as the Deskjet, I consider a toy whose days are numbered.  How
>>irritating to have to wait forever for printing and to walk on eggs
>>just so you dont smudge important documents.  The Laser Printer is
>>becoming a commodity item and when it does the Deskjet will obsolete
>>along with a significant part of the dot-matrix market.  It's already
>>tough to justify a Deskjet even for home use when a laser is only
>>about 15-20% more.
>Huh?
>Deskjet $450
>Laser   $800
>
> * * * * * * *  ======================= Meir Green
>* * * * * * * * ======================= mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
> * * * * * * *  ======================= N2JPG

That's more like $490 for the DeskJet and $630 for the Laser, from where I
look at it from.  Those are the best prices I saw in a quick scan I just
did through the June 11, 1991 PC Magazine.  Not the best prices available,
I'm sure, but that's a lot closer than $450 and $800.  The laser was the
Okidata 400, which isn't technically a laser, but you'd never know unless
you opened it up and checked.  That's about 30%.  It's still a contest,
but the laser's only $140 more expensive, and should print much faster.

Of course, I still have a dot matrix, so what do I know?

Scott.

--
Scott A. Laird            |  Any semblance of the above to anything is purely
lair@midway.uchicago.edu  |  coincidental, as it was the result of an infinite

dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com (Danny Low) (05/30/91)

>(Lee Whitney)
>As far as the Deskjet, I consider a toy whose days are numbered.  How
>irritating to have to wait forever for printing and to walk on eggs
>just so you dont smudge important documents.  The Laser Printer is
>becoming a commodity item and when it does the Deskjet will obsolete
>along with a significant part of the dot-matrix market.  It's already
>tough to justify a Deskjet even for home use when a laser is only
>about 15-20% more.

The street prices for HP lasterjet vs. HP Deskjet is a lot more than
15-20% difference. Besides, the DJ is much better for envelopes. I
have tried every laserjet HP makes and cannot get envelopes done on
them with the same speed, convenience and quality I get from a DJ.
I have tried every type of envelope including ones made specifically
for laser printers.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
	     HP NPCD   dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com

whitney@reed.cs.unlv.edu (Lee Whitney) (05/30/91)

Sorry if I got the pricing wrong on the for the Deskjet, I was estimating
according to prices in PC Mag June 11.

Deskjet 500   $499

OkiLaser 400  $629  (Not low-line junk either as it won Editor's Choice)

As for graphics speed, which almost everybody uses, I know the Deskjet
is so slow it would make me wait and save the $150-$200 if I could
only afford $450-$500 for a Deskjet.

Also the price for the HP IIP was dropped significantly with the
introduction of the HP IIIP.  This should put more pressure on the
Deskjet.

If anyone gets a guage of the new retail and street prices for the
IIP, please post.

robertt@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Bob Taylor) (06/13/91)

s for graphics speed, which almost everybody uses, I know the Deskjet
| is so slow it would make me wait and save the $150-$200 if I could
| only afford $450-$500 for a Deskjet.

BZZZT! Wrong!
The original DeskJet was a graphics dog, but the DeskJet 500 is actually
faster than most lasers in graphics, due primarily to advanced graphics
compression.  The LaserJet III, IIIP, & IIID all have the newer graphics
compression, but any of the LaserJet II clones (OKI, etc.) donUt.

Bob Taylor
HP Vancouver