[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Serial ports and mice

mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun10.153842.12545@midway.uchicago.edu> valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) writes:
>hanj@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jining Han) writes:
>

>>I have a very standard 286 (AMI bios), with 2 parallel ports and
>>2 serial ports.  The problem is, when I put a modem in, one of the
>>serial ports is disabled (com1 if I set modem to use com1 or com3,
>>com2 if I set modem to use com2 or com4).
>
>You have to disable one of the on-board serial ports when you install an
>internal modem.  Else you end up with two devices trying to be the same
>COM port.  (I.e., I think the thing you don't realize is that the
>internal modem has a built-in serial port)

Is the situation with a bus mouse similar?  Specifically, is there an advantage
to getting a motherboard which includes a PS/2 style mouse port, and is there
any effective difference between this type of port, a bus-mouse, and a serial
mouse?  Do they use the same interrups?

* * * * * *  ====================== Meir Green
 * * * * * * ====================== (Internet) mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
* * * * * *  ====================== meir@msb.com  mig@asteroids.cs.columbia.edu
 * * * * * * ====================== (Amateur Radio) N2JPG

sorrow@oak.circa.ufl.edu (06/13/91)

I have two serial ports and just installed a Logitech MouseMan.  Not
a problem at all.  Modems and COM ports fight over addresses, whereas
a bus mouse creates its own (yeah, yeah, simplistic but close enough).

Anything that needs COM port when installed or when software is run (such
as a modem, digitizer, external mouse, etc.) can cause problems.

Bus mice tend to be fairly automatic with installation (no need to say
which com port, since they don't use one.)

Brian
/*
Brian Hook -- MS-DOS Programmer for Contract
"I was in the kitchen, Seamus, that's my dog, was outside....and buried
ALIVE....fritter and waste...but this one goes to 11!....anymore of that
plutonium nyborg?...Little guitars..This is home...this is Mean Street..
*/

jsims@vuse.vanderbilt.edu (J. Robert Sims) (06/14/91)

In article <0094A069.21705FC0@MAPLE.CIRCA.UFL.EDU> sorrow@oak.circa.ufl.edu writes:
>I have two serial ports and just installed a Logitech MouseMan.  Not
>a problem at all.  Modems and COM ports fight over addresses, whereas
>a bus mouse creates its own (yeah, yeah, simplistic but close enough).
>
>Anything that needs COM port when installed or when software is run (such
>as a modem, digitizer, external mouse, etc.) can cause problems.
>
>Bus mice tend to be fairly automatic with installation (no need to say
>which com port, since they don't use one.)
>
>Brian
>/*
>Brian Hook -- MS-DOS Programmer for Contract
>"I was in the kitchen, Seamus, that's my dog, was outside....and buried
>ALIVE....fritter and waste...but this one goes to 11!....anymore of that
>plutonium nyborg?...Little guitars..This is home...this is Mean Street..
>*/

This isn't quite accurate.  Bus mice use interrupts.  Sometimes you have
an available interrupt (such as 5), but if you have a network card or
second parallel port, etc. it is likely that you don't have any free
interrupts.  So, the interrupt setting on the mouse card works best on...
Interrupts 3 and 4!  Sure it conflicts with the serial ports! (but not
as badly as the mouse would conflict with an ethernet card, scanner,
whatever).  This interrupt sharing should not be a problem, except that
most mouse drivers are very unfriendly about sharing.

Rob