[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] help with soundblaster vs adlib

rgehring@roof.es.com (06/10/91)

A while back, someone posted an article comparing
the Soundblaster and Adlib cards.  If anyone saved
it or has good/bad experiences about them I would
like to hear from you.

Rick

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (06/11/91)

From article <1991Jun10.164804.5755@dsd.es.com>, by rgehring@roof.es.com:
> A while back, someone posted an article comparing
> the Soundblaster and Adlib cards.  If anyone saved
> it or has good/bad experiences about them I would
> like to hear from you.
>
> Rick

There you go.

From: hans@pine.circa.ufl.edu (Hans van Oostrom)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: Summary of which sound card to get
Date: 23 Apr 91 00:29:31 GMT
Sender: news@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU
News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.3-4

Summary of my posting about which sound card to get Adlib or
SoundBlaster.

Score:  Soundblaster 5 - Adlib 0

Thanks to everyone that replied, I'm gonna order a SoundBlaster

From: "Scott Preston" <sp4@reef.cis.ufl.edu>

   I have a Sound Blaster.  I used to have an adlib, the sound blaster has
many advantages, it has a joystick connector on it, a digitized sound
capability (play and record), and it IS 100% adlib compatable.  Go for the
Sound Blaster, it is a much better deal!

From: Jay Hofacker <jayh@ms.uky.edu>

I recently bought a Soundblaster for my '386.  The Soundblaster does everything
the Adlib does plus it has a single voice digital channel.  This DAC can be
used to play digitized samples from 5000Hz to 23000Hz.  Programs are available
that will play digitized sounds from Macintoshes, Amigas, Sparc Stations and
Next computers on the Soundblaster DAC.  The Soundblaster can also digitize
from nearly any audio source, which can later be played back on the
Soundblaster.  The SoundBlaster also has a joystick game port (which can be
disabled if you already have one).
For about $60 you can get an external Midi connector box with has 1 MIDI in and
5 MIDI out ports for connecting the Sound Blaster to electronic keyboards or
other MIDI Instruments.
For about $20 you can add two chips to the Sound Blaster which makes it
compatible with C/MS or Game Blaster.   The Game Blaster has 12 stereo voices,
as opposed to Adlib's 11 Mono voices.

From: Stephen M. Smith <smsmith@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu>

I have the soundblaster card and it's great.  All the games that
use the adlib will work on the soundblaster because the soundblaster
is 100% adlib compatible.  The soundblaster has added features,
though, like text to speech sythesis, digitizing features, stereo
sound, and other things.  Don't get an adlib--get the soundblaster.
You can also play Amiga files on the soundblaster with some
shareware software.   The Amiga files sound REALLY cool--they
use digitized voices for instruments!!

From: Mark Kern <mek4_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu>

        I think you will find the SoundBlaster card a much better investment
over the Adlib.  I have the  Sound Blaster, and it sounds great.  I read
several review of sound cards before making my decision, and all of them
agreed that the Sound Blaster sounded better than Adlib, even while emulating
it!   The Sound Blaster gives you a cleaner digital channel (8-bit 21khz),
and all the voices of the Adlib plus optional CMS compatabilty (you need to
add two small chips for this).  CMS is another sound card that isn't really
supported anymore.  The Sound Blaster will even give you MIDI if you buy
the optional MIDI box for the input and output.
        The Adlib is at the bottom edge of PC sound technology right now.
It will probably be worthless in a year, especially since there are many
new sound cards rumored to be coming out from Adlib,Sound Blaster and Roland.

From: ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG)

Sound Blaster.  You get 100% hardware Adlib compatible, joystick port,
option CMS 12-voice stereo, optional MIDI, 2x4watts power amplifier
(no need for external amplifier if you use headset or mini speakers,
Adlib I *think* has only 1 watt, correct me if I am wrong), and most
important of all, you get the 8-bit voice DMA input/output.  The new
games are beginning to use the 8-bit voice output.

The other cards are simply too expensive.  Even the new
souped-up "Adlib" card by a company called Multi-Media (I think)
wants $379 street-price (spoke to one guy in the company).

There are close to 100,000 Sound Blasters in the US and nearly as many
outside the US, game makers big and small cannot afford to ignore that
kind of popularity!

------
Hans van Oostrom
PO Box J-254, JHMHC                 hans@ufpine                (BITNET)
Gainesville, FL  32601, USA         hans@pine.circa.ufl.edu    (INTERNET)

------------------------------end_of_summary------------------------------

knudsen@cbnewsd.att.com (michael.j.knudsen) (06/14/91)

Say, how come I never hear about the IBM/Yamaha Music Feature Card
on these newsgroups, along with the Soundblaster and AdLib?

Is the MF old hat?  Discontinued?  Not supported by Sierra's games?
Too much oriented towards professionals (ie, overpriced)?

BTW I think it's kind of ironic that the PC is reversing the
previous trends in home computer music.  Way back when, there were
lots of plug-in music generator cards and even (piano-type)
keyboards, for Apple II, Commodore, Tandy Color Computer, etc.

Then MIDI caught on, and everyone got a MIDI interface and some
little synthesizer, and the specialized plug-in cards dried up
overnite.  Fun to see the PC world bringing them back, but
frustrating to see the MIDI standard being ignored except by
professional musicians.

BTW, I think Music Feature card included a MIDI interface too.
--
"What America needs is A Thousand Points When Lit..."
	knudsen@ihlpl.att.com