[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] CAN ANYONE HELP WITH A PRINTER SHARING PROBLEM????

bnk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Bob N Keenan) (06/12/91)

Hello-

   I am responsible for the computers in our department, and they threw
   me a problem last week that I need some help on.  What they are planning
   on doing is:  they want to hook up (1) laser printer and (1) dot matrix
   to be shared between (2) different computers (pc's).  Is this possible
   with a combination of switch boxes?   Some one in the electronics shop
   said that if switches were used, a electrical switch - not a mechanical
   switch would have to be used for the laser (why I dont know).  The guy
   said an electrical switch cost between $500-$1000.  They want to do
   this in three different offices. I need to know the solution to this
   problem.  If anyone can offer me any help I would appreciate it!

		  Thank you,
		    bob keenan

~ Bob N. Keenan                     | DISCLAIMER?? I don't even KNOW HER!!
~ University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee |
~ bnk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu              |

jal@acc.flint.umich.edu (John Lauro) (06/13/91)

In article <13028@uwm.edu> bnk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Bob N Keenan) writes:

>Hello-
>
>   I am responsible for the computers in our department, and they threw
>   me a problem last week that I need some help on.  What they are planning
>   on doing is:  they want to hook up (1) laser printer and (1) dot matrix
>   to be shared between (2) different computers (pc's).  Is this possible
>   with a combination of switch boxes?   Some one in the electronics shop
>   said that if switches were used, a electrical switch - not a mechanical
>   switch would have to be used for the laser (why I dont know).  The guy
>   said an electrical switch cost between $500-$1000.  They want to do
>   this in three different offices. I need to know the solution to this
>   problem.  If anyone can offer me any help I would appreciate it!

I would recommend putting in a Campus network, and some Novell servers.
If that's not possible, don't expect to pay more than $200 unless the
switch has buffering.  I seem to recall seeing a two in, two out switch
box for under $100.

   - John_Lauro@ub.cc.umich.edu

quimby@madoka.its.rpi.edu (Quimby Pipple) (06/14/91)

jal@acc.flint.umich.edu (John Lauro) writes:

>I would recommend putting in a Campus network, and some Novell servers.
>If that's not possible, don't expect to pay more than $200 unless the
>switch has buffering.  I seem to recall seeing a two in, two out switch
>box for under $100.

That would work fine, if Novell were more than a client/server network.
Local shared printers with Novell is somewhat mickey mouse, and requires
additional third party TSR software.  It would make more sense, and cost
much less money, to simply put in a network that had the normal network
features built in.  Novell's strength is server file security.

Quimby

--
quimby@mts.rpi.edu, quimby@rpitsmts.bitnet