[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 256K SIMMs with 1M SIMMs?

sam4628@rigel.tamu.edu (MCCLUNEY, STEVEN ALEXANDER) (06/13/91)

I have a computer (well, a Golstar GT316 at any rate) with two 1 MB SIMMs
in it. I also have several 256K SIMMs available. Can both be used in the
same computer at the same time? If it makes any difference, the computer
is a 16 MHz 386SX. Thanks in advance (or in retreat, for that matter...)

       Steven M.
       "The Flying Hacker"

goldberg@iastate.edu (Adam Goldberg) (06/13/91)

In <17218@helios.TAMU.EDU> sam4628@rigel.tamu.edu (MCCLUNEY, STEVEN ALEXANDER) writes:

>I have a computer (well, a Golstar GT316 at any rate) with two 1 MB SIMMs
>in it. I also have several 256K SIMMs available. Can both be used in the
>same computer at the same time? If it makes any difference, the computer
>is a 16 MHz 386SX. Thanks in advance (or in retreat, for that matter...)

It would depend on the particular motherboard.  Consult your motherboard
manual (if you have one..).

I have heard of some motherboards accepting both 1M & 4M SIMMs simultaneously,
but I rather doubt if a low-end (SX) motherboard would be designed to use
low-end (256k) SIMMs in conjunction with 1Ms.  The boards I've heard of that
allow you to do this are high-end 386 or 486 machines, but again, they're
designed for 1M/4M not 256k/1M.

Any hardware types wanna confirm this?

--
 Adam Goldberg             ! "It's simple! Even a PASCAL programmer could do
 goldberg@iastate.edu      !   it!"

ressler@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu (Mike "IR" Ressler) (06/13/91)

In article <goldberg.676754503@du248-16.cc.iastate.edu> goldberg@iastate.edu (Adam Goldberg) writes:
>In <17218@helios.TAMU.EDU> sam4628@rigel.tamu.edu (MCCLUNEY, STEVEN ALEXANDER) writes:
>
>>I have a computer (well, a Golstar GT316 at any rate) with two 1 MB SIMMs
>>in it. I also have several 256K SIMMs available. Can both be used in the
>>same computer at the same time? If it makes any difference, the computer
>>is a 16 MHz 386SX. Thanks in advance (or in retreat, for that matter...)
[stuff deleted]
>The boards I've heard of that
>allow you to do this are high-end 386 or 486 machines, but again, they're
>designed for 1M/4M not 256k/1M.

My "high end" 386 (33MHz) takes 256K and 1M - but not 4M, according to the
motherboard docs. I guess it really depends on what the board maker felt like
doing at the time ...

--
  Mike Ressler - Infrared Photon Jockey     ressler@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu

  Some people like music they can brush their teeth to in the morning.
  Me? I like music I can brush my teeth with ...

jdi@postgres.uucp (John Irwin) (06/13/91)

In article <13431@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> ressler@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu (Mike "IR" Ressler) writes:
>My "high end" 386 (33MHz) takes 256K and 1M - but not 4M, according to the
>motherboard docs. I guess it really depends on what the board maker felt like
>doing at the time ...

Actually it depends on at what time the board maker felt like doing.  :-)

(Only the newer chip sets, such as the Chips&Tech Peak/386 set have
DRAM controllers that can handle 4MB Simms).

Speaking of which, the Amptron 386/33 motherboard I just bought (after my
old crufty motherboard just wouldn't cut it) has been a delight.  The
Peak/386 chipset does pretty much everything you could want -- settable
bus speeds, wait states, precharge times, bus delays, etc, etc, etc.

I've been using ISC2.2 with no problems whatsoever, and am switching to
ESIX V4 tomorrow -- I'll speak up if there are any problems.  (The old
motherboard used to freeze up when the system got hot)

	-- John
	   jdi@postgres.berkeley.edu

vcl@mimas.UUCP (Victor C. Limary) (06/14/91)

ressler@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu (Mike "IR" Ressler) writes:

> In article <goldberg.676754503@du248-16.cc.iastate.edu> goldberg@iastate.edu
> >In <17218@helios.TAMU.EDU> sam4628@rigel.tamu.edu (MCCLUNEY, STEVEN ALEXANDE
> >
> >>I have a computer (well, a Golstar GT316 at any rate) with two 1 MB SIMMs
> >>in it. I also have several 256K SIMMs available. Can both be used in the
> >>same computer at the same time? If it makes any difference, the computer
> >>is a 16 MHz 386SX. Thanks in advance (or in retreat, for that matter...)
> [stuff deleted]
> >The boards I've heard of that
> >allow you to do this are high-end 386 or 486 machines, but again, they're
> >designed for 1M/4M not 256k/1M.
>
> My "high end" 386 (33MHz) takes 256K and 1M - but not 4M, according to the
> motherboard docs. I guess it really depends on what the board maker felt like
> doing at the time ...

I've got a 386 machine that the manual says accepts 1meg x 9 SIMMS
(although it also takes 256k x 9 SIMMs).  I haven't tried mixing the 256k
SIMMs with the 1 meg ones, for fear that something might happen.

On a slightly different note, my computer was designed before 4meg SIMMs
came out.  I've got a Leading Edge 386 16Mhz (NOT SX), with Phoenix BIOS
and Chips and Tech chipset.  The motherboard's madeby Daewoo I think.
Does anybody know if the 4meg strips will/might work in my machine?

       _______
      /       \
     |  O   O  |         Victor Limary
    <|    <    |>        mimas!vcl@bbx.basis.com