[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Trashed my hard drive

bchs1b@jetson.uh.edu (Benedik, Michael J.) (06/13/91)

I was getting smartdrv.sys set up as a disk cache on my system
when I got an error message that the system could not read the
FAT table for drive C. I rebooted the system and now it does
not recognize drive C at all, I get an error message
"Invalid Drive letter"

Can any one tell me what is the problem and what I can do about it?
Is there any way to save the stuff on the drive? Nothing is irreplaceable
but it would take hours to reload all the software and get everything
configured correctly. I have Norton utilities (i think version 4)
which I tried running from the floppy, but it would not recognize the
drive either.

All help greatly appreciated.
P.S. It is a 32 MB drive, I think RLL (but possible MFM).

	 Michael Benedik
	 Department of Biochemical and Biophysical Sciences
	 University of Houston
	 INTERNET: Benedik@UH.EDU	BITNET: Benedik@UHOU

		I have nothing cute to say today. Sorry.

ericb@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) (06/14/91)

bchs1b@jetson.uh.edu (Benedik, Michael J.) writes:

>I was getting smartdrv.sys set up as a disk cache on my system
>when I got an error message that the system could not read the
>FAT table for drive C. I rebooted the system and now it does
>not recognize drive C at all, I get an error message
>"Invalid Drive letter"

>Can any one tell me what is the problem and what I can do about it?
>Is there any way to save the stuff on the drive? Nothing is irreplaceable
>but it would take hours to reload all the software and get everything
>configured correctly. I have Norton utilities (i think version 4)
>which I tried running from the floppy, but it would not recognize the
>drive either.

>All help greatly appreciated.
>P.S. It is a 32 MB drive, I think RLL (but possible MFM).

  Sounds like you lost a partition. Use FDisk to recreate one. Boot off of a
floppy and see what's left. PCTools has a utility that will attempt to re-
construct the FAT (I have never been successful with this, but it's worth a
try) I am not familiar with Norton, I'm sure there's something available.
  Good luck.

-e.b.

  Eric Berggren             |         "Life is a Turing Test;
  Computer Science/Eng.     |           We're all automatons!"
  ericb@eecs.cs.pdx.edu     |              - (click, whir, buzz, chirp)