[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Buying a Mouse: Serial or Bus?

newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu (Timothy Newsham) (06/15/91)

I'm going to buy a mouse for my system, and price is the determining
factor in which mouse I buy.

Of course, the cheaper mice are the serial mice.

Besides the obvious disadvantage of the mouse occupying a serial port,
are there any other disadvantages of serial mice versus bus mice?
There must be a reason why people are still buying bus mice when
they're soooo expensive compared to $30 serial mice.

sorrow@oak.circa.ufl.edu (06/16/91)

|In article <13487@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu (Timothy Newsham) writes:
|>I'm going to buy a mouse for my system, and price is the determining
|>factor in which mouse I buy.
|>
|>Of course, the cheaper mice are the serial mice.
|>
|>Besides the obvious disadvantage of the mouse occupying a serial port,
|>are there any other disadvantages of serial mice versus bus mice?
|>There must be a reason why people are still buying bus mice when
|>they're soooo expensive compared to $30 serial mice.

You're getting two things mixed up: interface and quality.  Yes, serial mice
are the cheaper mice.  But cheap serial mice are NOT the same expensive serial
mice.  There are two distinct types of mice: cheap mice and expensive mice.
Cheap mice are all serial interface and 200 dpi resolution.  Expensive mice
are 320-400dpi and have either serial or bus mice.

now to answer the original question, the bus mouse leaves a com port open,
and that is its primary advantage.  I like it because it's a "cleaner"
interface to the system and lets me keep a hand scanner and modem attached
at all times.

Brian
/*
Brian Hook -- MS-DOS Programmer for Contract
"Seamus, that's my dog...I saw her today at the reception...sorry, sixTEEN
inches....better save the women and children first...but this one goes to 11!
..anymore of that plutonium nyborg?....there can be only ONE!....like a
finger pointing to the moon....ease the seat back...one day closer to death
*/

boyd@cs.unca.edu (Mark Boyd) (06/16/91)

Cheap mice are available for both serial and bus interfaces. Cheap mice
are available with wide ranges of DPI. Take a look a the ads in
Computer Shopper. So <sorrow@oak.circa.ufl> says that all cheap mice
are serial and 200 DPI! Sheesh, that is simply not true.

Cheap mice are, probably, not as sturdy as expensive mice, but my
experience with them has been very positive! I have a cheap 3 button
mouse with widely variable DPI and a good ballistic response. It works
very well. I have a much more expensive two button mouse. It never
worked very well.

		Mark

gt4824a@prism.gatech.EDU (Paul Beker) (06/16/91)

I have a cheap ($30) serial, two-button, 200 dpi, mouse called OmniMouse
made by MSC Technologies (aka Mouse Systems, who makes standard mice for
Sun, SGI, etc.) and it works beautifully.  No need to throw money down the
tube.

Paul

--
Paul Beker                      Internet: gt4824a@prism.gatech.edu
24838 Georgia Tech Station      uucp: ..!{world}!gatech!prism!gt4824a

sorrow@oak.circa.ufl.edu (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun15.221055.7784@rock.concert.net>, boyd@cs.unca.edu (Mark Boyd) writes:
|>Cheap mice are available for both serial and bus interfaces. Cheap mice
|>are available with wide ranges of DPI. Take a look a the ads in
|>Computer Shopper. So <sorrow@oak.circa.ufl> says that all cheap mice
|>are serial and 200 DPI! Sheesh, that is simply not true.

Sorry if I was incorrect, but in my experience I have YET to see a cheap bus
mouse.  Hell, I haven't seen a bus mouse that was not made by a "big" company
such as Logitech or Microsoft.

|>Cheap mice are, probably, not as sturdy as expensive mice, but my
|>experience with them has been very positive! I have a cheap 3 button
|>mouse with widely variable DPI and a good ballistic response. It works
|>very well. I have a much more expensive two button mouse. It never
|>worked very well.

Well, if you are talking "Expensive two button mouse" you probably mean a
Microsoft.  It's a shame yours doesn't work well since everyone else I know
finds them one of the best, if not THE best.

As for a "widely variable DPI".  Well, you still probably have 200 dpi mouse
but you have the wonderful world of ballistic software that gives you the
range of 20-800 dpi.  To me, software accuracy is not as important as
hardware accuracy.  I like to have a consistent feel for my mouse instead
of having to move it at a crawl to get accuracy and then snapping it with
my wrist to get response.
/*

bartana@uni.Colorado.EDU (Ido Bar-tana) (06/18/91)

In article <0094A2A8.5A473A80@MAPLE.CIRCA.UFL.EDU>, sorrow@oak.circa.ufl.edu writes:
>|In article <13487@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu (Timothy Newsham) writes:
>|>I'm going to buy a mouse for my system, and price is the determining
>|>factor in which mouse I buy.
>|>
>|>Of course, the cheaper mice are the serial mice.
>|>
>|>Besides the obvious disadvantage of the mouse occupying a serial port,
>|>are there any other disadvantages of serial mice versus bus mice?
>|>There must be a reason why people are still buying bus mice when
>|>they're soooo expensive compared to $30 serial mice.
>
>You're getting two things mixed up: interface and quality.  Yes, serial mice
>are the cheaper mice.  But cheap serial mice are NOT the same expensive serial
>mice.  There are two distinct types of mice: cheap mice and expensive mice.
>Cheap mice are all serial interface and 200 dpi resolution.  Expensive mice
>are 320-400dpi and have either serial or bus mice.
>
>now to answer the original question, the bus mouse leaves a com port open,
>and that is its primary advantage.  I like it because it's a "cleaner"
>interface to the system and lets me keep a hand scanner and modem attached
>at all times.
>
>Brian
>/*
>Brian Hook -- MS-DOS Programmer for Contract

What do you mean by 'cleaner'. As for the scanner and modem, I have all three (scanner, modem mouse) living happily side by side, not disturbing each other.