[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] <None>

basil@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (08/20/90)

> I saw the sound blaster hardware in an electronics store (here in Pgh)
> for $299 about 2 weeks ago and it looked so neat that I had to buy one.

I hope $299 is a type as they are readily available for under $200

> Also, if anyone else wrote a program for this board, I'd love to see it,
> too.  Anyone buy the "Programmer's Toolkit" that they sell for $100?

I've seen a decent text reader program, if you're interested  I'll post it.

*** On the SoundBlaster the MIDI port is a ~ $40 option

                             --- Aaron

wwong@nas.nasa.gov (Wai K. Wong) (01/20/91)

Hi everyone,

        I need to get some information from the collective minds of the
the net.  I recently had some problems with my hard drives so I am looking
for a tape backup system.

requirements:
        1) price ($200-$400)
        2) Comes with its own controller ( I need both floppies)

would like (but not important):
        1) uses 1/4" tapes
        2) Uses Central Point Backup software or other major backup software.
        3) speed
        4) above 60 megs capability
        5) internal

Thanks in advance for any info and I will post a summary in about a week
or so.

Email or posting to the net is fine.

Thanks again
wai...

corywest@spotted.rice.edu (Cory Richard West) (05/03/91)

I'm the proud (?) new owner of an Equity II (with no documentation
of course) and was wondering if anyone who had the documentation
would post the dip switch settings.  I am having problems getting
it to remember that it has a hard drive.  If you're in the Houston
area, perhaps I could even borrow the doc's from you.

Thanks a lot.....
corywest@rice.edu

(Sorry if this is a duplicate post, but I am losing stuff on this end)

timmons@atccad.enet.dec.com (06/18/91)

Subject:AMD 386-40, Forex memory questions
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 91 17:57:21 GMT

Just got a noname motherboard with AMD 386 40 Mhz using Forex chip
set.  I have had strange memory problems.  The manual says that 80
nsec chips are required.  With 70 nsec SIMMS, it would not boot or
run at 40 Mhz, but worked fine at 20 Mhz.  I called where I got it
from - they said try another brand/type of memory.  I borrowed a
set of working SIMMs from a 33mhz 386 and they would not boot at
40 Mhz or 20 Mhz.  But strangely, the different SIMMS did start
memory tests on both 20 and 40 Mhz (BIOS gives buzz in speaker to
indicate tests).  So, I put the original SIMMS back in, but in a
different order.  Now the system boots at 20 Mhz only but runs at
both 20 Mhz and 40 Mhz.  So the system never even gets to memory
test with original SIMMS, but now it will run with them at both
20 and 40 Mhz.  So I think I am happy, but confused. It also passes
all test at 20 and 40 Mhz with fast bus and minimum wait states.

I think the moral of this is to always buy the chips where you buy
the board, then let them fix it!  But can anyone shine some light
on the situation?

Ray T.