[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Everex BIOS Password

TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu (Lou Anschuetz) (06/13/91)

Our university has been buying exclusively Everex PCs for about the
last three years.  Our lastest shipment for student PC labs came with
quite a surprise.  The new Setup routine lets you set a password on
the hardware.  The only way to remove this password is to take the
battery out of the machine and wait until the setup information is
lost.  As you can imagine, putting these machines in an unsupervised
student lab will soon lead to each and every one having a password
on it.  Argh!

I immediately contacted a sales rep at Everex (a Mr. Joe Herndon (sp?))
who reported that their industrial customers demanded this feature
and that they weren't about to change it for their educational
customers.  Well, as a first response we have cancelled all future
orders for Everex machines until/unless the problem is fixed.  The
State of Ohio will also be removing them from our state pricing
contract unless the problem is fixed (this will likely happen on
June 19, 1991).

In the interim, I and our purchasing department felt that other
folks may wish to be made aware of Everex' new BIOS routine and
the complication it may cause others where more than one person
needs to have access to the machine.  While I am sure this may even
be a desireable feature in some industrial settings, it is certainly
problematic in other settings.

As the situation changes we will post additional information.  You
may contact via email for further info, or is there is sufficient
interest, I will post more extensive information here.

Lou Anschuetz
Associate Director for Academic Consulting
(soon to be an expert at battery pulling  :-)
temngt23@ysu.edu

evan@neiman.east.sun.COM (Evan Marcus (Sun NJ Sys Cons)) (06/13/91)

In article <91163.205448TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu>, TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu (Lou Anschuetz) writes:
|> Our university has been buying exclusively Everex PCs for about the
|> last three years.  Our lastest shipment for student PC labs came with
|> quite a surprise.  The new Setup routine lets you set a password on
|> the hardware.  The only way to remove this password is to take the
|> battery out of the machine and wait until the setup information is
|> lost.  As you can imagine, putting these machines in an unsupervised
|> student lab will soon lead to each and every one having a password
|> on it.  Argh!

Seems to me, all you have to do is put your own password in first.

Am I missing something?
--
WHO: Evan L. Marcus			"It works!!"
WHAT: Sun Microsystems			 -- a friend of mine, after telling

TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu (Lou Anschuetz) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.105945@neiman.east.sun.COM>, evan@neiman.east.sun.COM
(Evan Marcus (Sun NJ Sys Cons)) says:

>In article <91163.205448TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu>, TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu (Lou
>Anschuetz) writes:
>|> Our university has been buying exclusively Everex PCs for about the
>|> last three years.  Our lastest shipment for student PC labs came with
>|> quite a surprise.  The new Setup routine lets you set a password on
>|> the hardware.  The only way to remove this password is to take the
>|> battery out of the machine and wait until the setup information is
>|> lost.  As you can imagine, putting these machines in an unsupervised
>|> student lab will soon lead to each and every one having a password
>|> on it.  Argh!
>
>Seems to me, all you have to do is put your own password in first.
>
>Am I missing something?
Indeed.  I put my password in first, then of course must give it to
the student.  One of the student's options is to CHANGE the password
since he knows the original one.  I'm right back to the beginning.
The salesman tried to play this fast one on me...   :-(

endter@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Bill Endter RCU/DEC) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.105945@neiman.east.sun.COM>, evan@neiman.east.sun.COM (Evan Marcus (Sun NJ Sys Cons)) writes:

|> Seems to me, all you have to do is put your own password in first.
|>
|> Am I missing something?
|> --
|> WHO: Evan L. Marcus			"It works!!"
|> WHAT: Sun Microsystems			 -- a friend of mine, after telling
|> WHERE: Paramus, New Jersey, USA		 me his wife was pregnant with their
|> HOW: marcus@neiman.East.Sun.COM	   	 first child.

   I think the problem is that if the instructor sets the password first, the
student (or instructor) will have to type the password in to access the machine. Once the student has access to the machine, they can change the password to anything they want.  Then only the student can log in.  The solution would be to disable passwords all together, or require that the old
password be typed in order to set a new password.  If the latter was the case, then an instructor would be required to type the initial password to allow the student access to the machine.  This could be undesirable.
   Actually I would be a little surprised if the password can be changed without requiring the old password.  This would be a lot fun for co-workers who found an unattended logged in PC.

	Bill

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (06/14/91)

In article <91163.205448TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu> TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu (Lou Anschuetz) writes:
=Our university has been buying exclusively Everex PCs for about the
=last three years.  Our lastest shipment for student PC labs came with
=quite a surprise.  The new Setup routine lets you set a password on
=the hardware.  The only way to remove this password is to take the
=battery out of the machine and wait until the setup information is
=lost.  As you can imagine, putting these machines in an unsupervised
=student lab will soon lead to each and every one having a password
=on it.  Argh!

Zenith does a similar thing.  However, they were able to identify to us
the chip that the password is stored in and we had our tech simply
remove that chip from each Zenith.  Perhaps Everex has a similar scheme
that someone more technical than your contact knows about.

--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

hovanes@b17d.b17d.ingr.com (Ken Hovanes) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.105945@neiman.east.sun.COM>, evan@neiman.east.sun.COM (Evan Marcus (Sun NJ Sys Cons)) writes:
> In article <91163.205448TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu>, TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu (Lou Anschuetz) writes:
> |> student lab will soon lead to each and every one having a password
> |> on it.  Argh!
>
> Seems to me, all you have to do is put your own password in first.

That's what I thought.  I just thought I misunderstood the article.  Of
course, you know students.  They'll take the pc apart and take out the
jumper for the bios battery, damn them.

> Am I missing something?

Am I missing something as well?

> --
> WHO: Evan L. Marcus			"It works!!"

Ken Hovanes			Intergraph Corp.
				Huntspatch, AL
				"Home of the..., well nothing.  But it's ok."

TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu (Lou Anschuetz) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.184802.14562@b17d.b17d.ingr.com>,
hovanes@b17d.b17d.ingr.com (Ken Hovanes) says:

>In article <1991Jun13.105945@neiman.east.sun.COM>, evan@neiman.east.sun.COM
>(Evan Marcus (Sun NJ Sys Cons)) writes:
>>
>> Seems to me, all you have to do is put your own password in first.
>
>That's what I thought.  I just thought I misunderstood the article.  Of
>course, you know students.  They'll take the pc apart and take out the
>jumper for the bios battery, damn them.
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>
>Am I missing something as well?

To use the machine, according to the sales people, students have to
enter this hardware password.  This means I have to give them the
password.  Once you have the password you can change it to anything
you want.  So, now I've given them a password and made it clear that
they can change it to something else.  If I don't set it at all at least
only the ones who discover it will set passwords.  Also, I have to
merely notify 15,000 students each and every quarter as to what the
password is.  Plus, I now have to fix the ones with the changed
passwords just like not having one initially installed.  I think
this is a severe problem at a very minimum.  As it is now I have to
run setup on about 50% of our machines each and every day since
students change it.  To remove the password means having the machine
battery out for 2 hours!  With 63 of these machines already on campus
in labs  it could take 40-50 hours per day just to remove password.
Hmm, seems like a problem here....  :-)

Lou Anschuetz
temngt23@ysu.edu

asylvain@felix.UUCP (Alvin "the Chipmunk" Sylvain) (06/14/91)

Written in article <91163.205448TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu>
    by TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu (Lou Anschuetz):

> Our university has been buying exclusively Everex PCs for about the
> last three years.  Our lastest shipment for student PC labs came with
> quite a surprise.  The new Setup routine lets you set a password on
> the hardware.  The only way to remove this password is to take the
> battery out of the machine and wait until the setup information is
> lost.  As you can imagine, putting these machines in an unsupervised
> student lab will soon lead to each and every one having a password
> on it.  Argh!

I'd say at first glance, that unless you have some compelling reason to
stick with Everex (other than "we always have") that you go ahead and
shop around for a different company.

I'm assuming this is an IBM clone, yes?  I'd daresay you'll find that
Everex has quite a bit of competition out there.  Dell has a good
reputation, as does AST.  I have no idea what their policy is re. sales
to educational institutions, however.

You might want to post and ask for opinions on what machine to buy
_instead_ of the Everex.  Be warned, tho, your mailbox may overflow!
--
Alvin ===== asylvain@felix.UUCP ===== hplabs!felix!asylvain =====
"hplabs!felix!asylvain"@uunet.uu.net

koerber.sin@sni.de (Mathias Koerber) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.105945@neiman.east.sun.COM> marcus@neiman.east.Sun.COM writes:
|In article <91163.205448TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu>, TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu (Lou Anschuetz) writes:
||> Our university has been buying exclusively Everex PCs for about the
||> last three years.  Our lastest shipment for student PC labs came with
||> quite a surprise.  The new Setup routine lets you set a password on
||> the hardware.  The only way to remove this password is to take the
||> battery out of the machine and wait until the setup information is
||> lost.  As you can imagine, putting these machines in an unsupervised
															^^^^^^^^^^^^
||> student lab will soon lead to each and every one having a password
||> on it.  Argh!
|
|Seems to me, all you have to do is put your own password in first.
|
|Am I missing something?

Yes, the word *unsupervised* in the original post. What stops students from
pulling the batteries and putting their own password...

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) (06/14/91)

>>Seems to me, all you have to do is put your own password in first.
>>
>>Am I missing something?
>
>Indeed.  I put my password in first, then of course must give it to
>the student.  One of the student's options is to CHANGE the password
>since he knows the original one.  I'm right back to the beginning.
>The salesman tried to play this fast one on me...   :-(

Clearly the problem is the same kind of problem you have with letting
multiple people use one single userid on a multiuser system.  Many of
the problems, such as file sharing, have been worked out for PC lab
situations.  But certainly anyone who knows the password can change
the password.

It seems to me that Everex did a very poor job of planning out this
feature change.  You could certainly take this to mean that they have
written off the educational lab market.  You should talk DIRECTLY TO
THE VP OF MARKETING at Everex and see if he understands what his
company has done.

Be sure to tell him that what they SHOULD have done was to contact a
wide diversity of their customers in order to design this feature
correctly.  I shall describe a better way that might even work in the
labs:

    The password control system would have at least two categories of
    access to the machine.  Category A allows access to the setup data
    for changes.  Category B allows access to boot the machine and use
    the keyboard and mouse.

    The password, or lack thereof, should be settable separately for
    these categories.  You can set a password for category A and keep
    that to yourself, or only tell the lab support staff.  For category
    B you can either set a DIFFERENT password, or set none at all.

    Students will be able to access the machine via the category B password
    or lack of one, but will not have access to the setup data.  This will
    solve one problem you actually had before, that of students running
    setup and screwing the machine (rare, but some do).

Tell the Everex VP OF MARKETING that this way of doing the password is
much better suited to the educational lab environment, as well as having
added functionality for business and industrial customers.  Tell him you
expect a new set of ROMS within 2 weeks.

If you are unable to reach the VP of MARKETING, then write Everex off.
--
 /***************************************************************************\
/ Phil Howard -- KA9WGN -- phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu   |  Guns don't aim guns at  \

pal@brahms.amd.com (WHO?) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun13.174004.17784@mccc.edu> pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>In article <91163.205448TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu> TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu (Lou Anschuetz) writes:
>Our university has been buying exclusively Everex PCs for about the
>last three years.  Our lastest shipment for student PC labs came with
>quite a surprise.  The new Setup routine lets you set a password on
>the hardware.  The only way to remove this password is to take the
>battery out of the machine and wait until the setup information is
>lost.  As you can imagine, putting these machines in an unsupervised
>student lab will soon lead to each and every one having a password
>on it.  Argh!

The password is stored in the EEPROM so is some of the configurations.
even if the batery is removed the password and these conf. will not be
erased or reset.

rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun13.105945@neiman.east.sun.COM> marcus@neiman.east.Sun.COM writes:
>In article <91163.205448TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu>, TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu (Lou Anschuetz) writes:
>|> Our university has been buying exclusively Everex PCs for about the
>|> last three years.  Our lastest shipment for student PC labs came with
>|> quite a surprise.  The new Setup routine lets you set a password on
>|> the hardware.  The only way to remove this password is to take the
>|> battery out of the machine and wait until the setup information is
>|> lost.  As you can imagine, putting these machines in an unsupervised
>|> student lab will soon lead to each and every one having a password
>|> on it.  Argh!
>
>Seems to me, all you have to do is put your own password in first.
>
>Am I missing something?

Well, then you need to give the students the password so they can use the
computers.  And once you have the password, you can also change the password!

--
Standard disclaimer applies, you legalistic hacks.     |     Ron Dippold

kize@cup.portal.com (Brian L Kaisner) (06/15/91)

Recent Dell systems also have a password feature that is enabled via the
built-in Setup program.  HOWEVER, the password can be permanently disabled
by removing a jumper on the motherboard.  If you keep the case locked, there
is no chance a student can enable a password.  If the system is later moved
to a location where a password is desired, just re-install the jumper.

Dell's prices are competitive with Everex's.  Dell can be reached at (800)
426-5150.  As an employee, I will also state that Dell will try quite hard to
tailor a product to your needs.  It isn't a fluke that Dell is #1 in customer
satisfaction (recent J.D. Powers survey).

- Brian

quimby@madoka.its.rpi.edu (Quimby Pipple) (06/15/91)

Well, I finally made it work work, we faxed some stuff to Everex,
and now we have some more information.  I'll just do this in question
and answer format.

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) writes:

>It seems to me that Everex did a very poor job of planning out this
>feature change.  You could certainly take this to mean that they have
>written off the educational lab market.

Everex introduced a new model motherboard with some new features, one
of which is password protection.  The initial response to passwords
was entirely positive -- users were able to protect their machines
from other workers if they wished, and shared machines with 'keyed
alike' passwords worked to keep the non-office people.  The blind
spot was an installation with shared machines and *hostile* users
that all have to be able to use the machines.  This kind of thing
doesn't happen too much in a normal environment, fortunately, or
mouse ports would have weld tabs.

Anyway, Everex is aware of and working on the problem.  They
haven't forgotten the educational market, they merely underestimated
the destructive tendencies of the average 20 year old.

If anyone has questions about the fix, or the status of the fix
please send a message to Tom Duchesneau, at duchesneau@mts.rpi.edu.
(I'm letting my employer handle this one.)  Please limit this
to exclude random curiousity.  I'll post any information of
major importance here, but if you're having a problem, email
is fine.  Note that this is not the address of Everex, Inc.

I probably shouldn't speculate here, but it seems to me that
since this is a new board, the simple fix of using an old
version BIOS won't work.  I would also guess that in the near
future the machines will be available in either a passworded
or non-passworded version.  Again, this is just my daydreaming.

>                                         You should talk DIRECTLY TO
>THE VP OF MARKETING at Everex and see if he understands what his
>company has done.

I suppose this kind of thing works fine in a K-mart, or a McDonald's,
or something, but it really doesn't apply here.  Besides, they're
really a nice bunch of people over there.

Quimby

--
quimby@mts.rpi.edu, quimby@rpitsmts.bitnet

jnemeth@cue.bc.ca (John Nemeth) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun14.201315.15848@amd.com> pal@brahms.amd.com (WHO?) writes:
>The password is stored in the EEPROM so is some of the configurations.
>even if the batery is removed the password and these conf. will not be
>erased or reset.

     IBM PC's and clones do NOT use EEPROM's.  They use battery backed
up CMOS RAM (which is often buried in one of the ASIC's).  Removing
the battery will cause the password (and all the setup information) to
be lost.  It usually takes anywhere from a couple of hours to a day
for the the information to be lost.  Most machines have a jumper or a
switch you can use to zap the CMOS RAM.

     Most machines I've seen that have password protection have the
option of just protecting the system setup, or protecting system setup
and booting.
--
John Nemeth                                                   jnemeth@cue.bc.ca
System Administrator                                {uw-beaver,ubc-cs,ssc-vax}!