[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] PC-DOS 5.0??

ericf@seer.UUCP (Eric Findley) (06/16/91)

 I was wondering if there is PC-DOS 5.0??  I'd really like to get a hold
of it...PC-DOS 3.3 is getting boring.  Besides, I gotta keep up with
the times.

  And another question.  I have RBBS v17.3b.  I want to put an ANSI
graphic intro screen on my bbs.  Now, does anyone have any suggestions
on how I can go about this?  Is there a special drawing program I have
to use, or a converter program somewhere??  Any help is DEFINITELY
APPRECIATED!

  Thanks in advance...

-Eric Findley
ericf@seer.mystic.com

In article <887@seer.UUCP> ericf@seer.UUCP (Eric Findley) writes:

|  I was wondering if there is PC-DOS 5.0??  I'd really like to get a hold
| of it...PC-DOS 3.3 is getting boring.  Besides, I gotta keep up with
| the times.

  Yes, I got a copy from IBM at a meeting on June 12, just copies of
the disks and a xerox of the man pages. I also have MS-DOS 5.0. Since
the MS-DOS upgrade is $39.95 from Egghead ($59.95 less $20 instant
rebate) you can afford it. I haven't installed the PC-DOS version yet,
but the MS-DOS is great so far. I should post a review in a separate
message, so don't look for it here.

    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

edwong@bucsf.bu.edu (Edward Wong) (06/19/91)

Yes, it's now IBM DOS 5.0.  There are two different pakages available at
Egghead.  Since you already got dos 3.3, you can just buy the IBM DOS 5.0
upgrade for $39.99.  But you can buy the whole pakage for $99.99.  By the
way, I think you must have an IBM brand PC to run the dos.
--
8)
  _               _     | user's name:  Edward Wong

ralphs@halcyon.ogi.edu (06/19/91)

edwong@bucsf.bu.edu (Edward Wong) writes:

> upgrade for $39.99.  But you can buy the whole pakage for $99.99.  By the
> way, I think you must have an IBM brand PC to run the dos.

IBM would like you to think so.  It would be interesting to know if
there's a new operating system in the 'complete' 5.0 package, or if
it's 3.?? re-released.  It would appear that the 'upgrade' is not much
more than a user shell and command.com replacement, with a few extra
goodies to flesh out a few disks.