[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Ink jets - HP DeskJet 500 vs Canon BJ 300

herbie@sol0.cs.monash.edu.au (Andrew Herbert) (06/17/91)

I am currently trying to decide between these two printers, and would
welcome any comments people may have on them (or indeed, on any other ink
jet printer).

As I see it, the DJ has the advantage of cute cut-sheet paper handling, and
appears to be cheaper in the ink department - HP say 500 LQ pages per
cartridge, compared with Canon's 1 million LQ characters (which I guess is
about 350 pages).

The BJ is slightly faster for text, but may be slower than the DJ for graphics
(since the DJ supports graphics compression).  Paper feed is faster, and
the 360 dpi resolution results in slightly better print.

Thanks,
Andrew Herbert

Joel_Murray@mindlink.bc.ca (Joel Murray) (06/17/91)

> herbie@sol0.cs.monash.edu.au writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <herbie.677222271@sol0>
>
> Person: Andrew Herbert
>
> [...]  The HP tends to make its ink run along the paper fibres a little,
> whereas the Canons don't.  I attribute this to the HP using more ink per
> squirt.

I own a DeskJet Plus and have been really pleased with the output.  The
bleeding problem you mention is more due to the paper one uses than with the
printer or its ink.

It took me a little experimentation to find the right type of paper, but as the
manual states, "most cotton bond papers yield excellent results."  I have to
agree.  Any paper that has the word "bond" in its name has a high rag (cotton)
content and thus should yield excellent results.

Since using such paper, I've noticed NO bleeding whatsoever.  In fact, the
combination of the DeskJet and Windows 3.0 with Adobe Type Manager yields
almost laser-like quality--good enough for any professional documents I create
at home for work.  (In fact, many people at work ask me if I have a laser
printer when they see my documents).

    = Joel Murray / Vancouver, British Columbia  /  Canada, Eh? =
    = Joel_Murray@mindlink.bc.ca               "Kuso ga okiru." =

rob@cad4.lbl.gov (Barracuda) (06/18/91)

In article <herbie.677128348@sol0> herbie@sol0.cs.monash.edu.au (Andrew Herbert) writes:
>I am currently trying to decide between these two printers, and would
>welcome any comments people may have on them (or indeed, on any other ink
>jet printer).
>
>As I see it, the DJ has the advantage of cute cut-sheet paper handling, and
>appears to be cheaper in the ink department - HP say 500 LQ pages per
>cartridge, compared with Canon's 1 million LQ characters (which I guess is
>about 350 pages).
>
>The BJ is slightly faster for text, but may be slower than the DJ for graphics
>(since the DJ supports graphics compression).  Paper feed is faster, and
>the 360 dpi resolution results in slightly better print.

I've been looking at the same two printers, and I think I've pretty much
decided to go with the HP. Better print you say? Have you SEEN the
Cannons print? When I saw the print from one, I wasn't really impressed -- it
looked no better than an ordinary 24-pin dot matrix printer, with barely
visible white lines between each row -- yech! The print from the DeskJet 500,
on the other hand, looked pretty good. I still havn't seen graphics from the
Bubblejet, so I can't say how that looks.

Another appeal to anyone else who's compared these two printers -- what are
your observations about these two?

>Thanks,
>Andrew Herbert

Yeah, thanks.

--
+-----------------------+--------------------------+---------------------------+
| Rob McNamara          | This space intentionally | Lankhmar BBS              |

herbie@sol0.cs.monash.edu.au (Andrew Herbert) (06/18/91)

rob@cad4.lbl.gov (Barracuda) replied:

>I've been looking at the same two printers, and I think I've pretty much
>decided to go with the HP. Better print you say? Have you SEEN the
>Cannons print? When I saw the print from one, I wasn't really impressed -- it
>looked no better than an ordinary 24-pin dot matrix printer, with barely
>visible white lines between each row -- yech! The print from the DeskJet 500,
>on the other hand, looked pretty good. I still haven't seen graphics from the
>Bubblejet, so I can't say how that looks.

Yes, I have seen both printers perform, and on the same type of paper, with
both text and graphics.  The BJ 330 I saw printed near perfect graphics,
while the BJ 10e I was comparing it with did have a thin line between each
pass of the print head.  I think this really depends on the particular printer,
and have no idea which of the above is typical (hopefully the better example :).
Neither of the two HP deskjets I have seen were quite as good as the three
Canons I have seen (one BJ 330, one BJ 10e and one Apple StyleWriter [a 10e
engine]).  The HP tends to make its ink run along the paper fibres a little,
whereas the Canons don't.  I attribute this to the HP using more ink per squirt.

It's a pity that how these printers perform seems to be so variable.  I'm
also sort-of considering a LaserJet IIIP now, but that's another story.

Andrew Herbert

edwong@bucsf.bu.edu (Edward Wong) (06/19/91)

I would pick the Deskjet if I were you.  I have to roommates and they each
have a deskjet and a bubblejet.  Let me tell you, the bubblejet is good
for its weight, and portability.  Maybe the graphics is better too, 'cos it
doesn't pour out the ink as the DJ does.  However, it is slower than a
snail, even my dot-matrix is faster than that.  The most important of all,
BJ is not supported by a lot of things.  Pagemaker is one, the Avery Label
Pro is the other that I found.
--
8)
  _               _     | user's name:  Edward Wong

hdrw@ibmpcug.co.uk (Howard Winter) (06/19/91)

In article <6324@mindlink.bc.ca> Joel_Murray@mindlink.bc.ca (Joel Murray) writes:
> > herbie@sol0.cs.monash.edu.au writes:
> >
> > [...]  The HP tends to make its ink run along the paper fibres a little,
> > whereas the Canons don't.  I attribute this to the HP using more ink per
> > squirt.
> >
> I own a DeskJet Plus and have been really pleased with the output.  The
> bleeding problem you mention is more due to the paper one uses than with the
> printer or its ink.
>
> It took me a little experimentation to find the right type of paper, but as the
> manual states, "most cotton bond papers yield excellent results."  I have to
> agree.  Any paper that has the word "bond" in its name has a high rag (cotton)
> content and thus should yield excellent results.

Just a small nitpick:  I used to work for a paper company,
and I seem to remember that rag has just about ceased
to be used nowadays.  I believe something like Esparto
grass is used when long fibres are needed.

I'm not arguing that a Bond paper isn't good for inkjet
printers, but I think the surface finish has more to do
with it than the fibres.

The need is to stop the ink penetrating, and I'm
not sure that the fibres can affect this much.

If you look at the paper HP sells for the Paintjet,
you'll find that the surface is very much smoother and
more 'solid' than normal listing paper.  It's also
a darn sight more expensive... but the results are
very much better - darker and with no feathering.

Just my tuppenceworth,

Howard.

--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not