[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Problem with harddisk not spinning at power up

scfsiu@watsol.uwaterloo.ca (Steven C. F. Siu) (06/19/91)

I purchased a new 386SX clone system about a month ago.  It has a 40meg IDE
hard drive (Western Digital, I think.)  Twice, when I powered it up (after a
few days while it was off), the hard disk wouldn't spin.  (i.e.  DOS tried to
boot from floppy drive A:, failed, and then nothing happened.  The hard disk
activity LED didn't ever light up, and I didn't hear the sound of the hard
disk spinning.)  In both case, a warm boot woke the drive up and solved the
problem.

I transport the system with me in/out of town (150km each way) every week.  I
always put it in its original packaging, but with no other special precautions
(for shock absorption etc.).

Questions:

- Does the problem have to do with the frequent transit?  If so, what special
  precautions do I need to take when transporting it?

- Will the problem get worse if I do nothing?  (i.e. Should I bring in the
  system for service before warranty expires?)  I can live with the situation
  if the problem will not get worse.

- And (of course) how to fix the problem?

Thanks,
Steven

mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun19.005824.7510@watdragon.waterloo.edu> scfsiu@watsol.uwaterloo.ca (Steven C. F. Siu) writes:
>I purchased a new 386SX clone system about a month ago.  It has a 40meg IDE
>hard drive (Western Digital, I think.)  Twice, when I powered it up (after a
>few days while it was off), the hard disk wouldn't spin.  (i.e.  DOS tried to
>boot from floppy drive A:, failed, and then nothing happened.  The hard disk
>activity LED didn't ever light up, and I didn't hear the sound of the hard
>disk spinning.)  In both case, a warm boot woke the drive up and solved the
>problem.
>
>I transport the system with me in/out of town (150km each way) every week.  I
>always put it in its original packaging, but with no other special precautions
>(for shock absorption etc.).
>
>Questions:
>
>- Does the problem have to do with the frequent transit?  If so, what special
>  precautions do I need to take when transporting it?
>
>- Will the problem get worse if I do nothing?  (i.e. Should I bring in the
>  system for service before warranty expires?)  I can live with the situation
>  if the problem will not get worse.
>
>- And (of course) how to fix the problem?
>

>Thanks,
>Steven

REPLACE the drive, while it is still under warranty!!!

* * * * * *  ====================== Meir Green
 * * * * * * ====================== (Internet) mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
* * * * * *  ====================== meir@msb.com  mig@asteroids.cs.columbia.edu
 * * * * * * ====================== (Amateur Radio) N2JPG

tony@clio.sts.uiuc.edu (Tony) (06/19/91)

scfsiu@watsol.uwaterloo.ca (Steven C. F. Siu) writes:

>Questions:

>- Does the problem have to do with the frequent transit?  If so, what special
>  precautions do I need to take when transporting it?

>- Will the problem get worse if I do nothing?  (i.e. Should I bring in the
>  system for service before warranty expires?)  I can live with the situation
>  if the problem will not get worse.

>- And (of course) how to fix the problem?
I have a drive that if it is left off for more than 20 minutes will not
restart.  To get it started again I have to open up the drive and spin it by
hand.  My solution is to just leave the computer on all the time.
My suggestion to you is to get a new drive or have yours fixed.

		  Tony Chen
		  tony@clio.las.uiuc.edu