[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 2.88 Mb floppy drives for PC

hpa@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (H. Peter Anvin) (06/13/91)

Now when MS-DOS 5.00 is out, and supports the new, nifty Extended Density
(ED) 3.5" floppy disks with 2.88 Mb capacity, is there somewhere one can
get a drive and controller for such a beast?

            /Peter

--
MAIL: hpa@casbah.acns.nwu.edu   (hpa@nwu.edu after this summer)
"finger" the address above for more information.

ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) (06/15/91)

hpa@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (H. Peter Anvin) writes:

>Now when MS-DOS 5.00 is out, and supports the new, nifty Extended Density
>(ED) 3.5" floppy disks with 2.88 Mb capacity, is there somewhere one can
>get a drive and controller for such a beast?

	Can't help on the hardware, but I'll warn you that I saw an article
qouting prices for 2.88 MB media that were *very* high- looks like a replay
of the scenario we had when 1.44 3 1/2" drives came out- blank floppies were
going for $5-6 *each*.
--
Ray Berry  kb7ht  uucp: ...sumax!ole!ray CIS: 73407,3152 /* "inquire within" */

hpa@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (H. Peter Anvin) (06/17/91)

In article <2002@ole.UUCP> of comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,
  ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) writes:

> 	Can't help on the hardware, but I'll warn you that I saw an article
> qouting prices for 2.88 MB media that were *very* high- looks like a replay
> of the scenario we had when 1.44 3 1/2" drives came out- blank floppies were
> going for $5-6 *each*.

Of course: currently only brand name diskettes are available, and since
only NeXT and a few similar system have been using them so far, it has not
been a mass market.  The University store sells them for $29 in 5-pack, I
think.  But prices will drop, and if I am getting a new 3.5" drive anyway I
want to avoid getting one that will become obsolete.

                  /Peter
--

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (06/18/91)

From article <1991Jun16.232753.27867@casbah.acns.nwu.edu>, by hpa@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (H. Peter Anvin):
> In article <2002@ole.UUCP> of comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,
>   ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) writes:
>>
>> 	Can't help on the hardware, but I'll warn you that I saw an article
>> qouting prices for 2.88 MB media that were *very* high- looks like a replay
>> of the scenario we had when 1.44 3 1/2" drives came out- blank floppies were
>> going for $5-6 *each*.
>
> Of course: currently only brand name diskettes are available, and since
> only NeXT and a few similar system have been using them so far, it has not
> been a mass market.  The University store sells them for $29 in 5-pack, I
> think.  But prices will drop, and if I am getting a new 3.5" drive anyway I
> want to avoid getting one that will become obsolete.

I doubt the 2.8MB will become a standard anywhere close to 1.44MB now
due to the lack of a single major move (IBM adopting 1.44MB for its PS/2's)
towards that direction.  Besides, most PC users IME (in my estimation)
still does not have 1.44MB.

rob@cad4.lbl.gov (Barracuda) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.163955.20140@d.cs.okstate.edu> ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) writes:
>From article <1991Jun16.232753.27867@casbah.acns.nwu.edu>, by hpa@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (H. Peter Anvin):
>> In article <2002@ole.UUCP> of comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,
>>   ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) writes:

[stuff about 2.88 meg disks deleted]

>I doubt the 2.8MB will become a standard anywhere close to 1.44MB now
>due to the lack of a single major move (IBM adopting 1.44MB for its PS/2's)
>towards that direction.  Besides, most PC users IME (in my estimation)
>still does not have 1.44MB.

And...why go with a stinkin 2.88 meg drive when Insite Peripherals will be
coming out with a 20 meg 3.5" floppy in August? It'll be backward compatible
with the 1.44 meg and 720k disks too!

+-----------------------+--------------------------+-------------------------+
| Rob McNamara          | This space intentionally | Lankhmar BBS            |
| rob@cad4.lbl.gov      |        left blank        | (415) 930-9319          |
| Lawrence Berkeley Lab |                          | 1200/2400/9600 HST      |
+-----------------------+--------------------------+-------------------------+

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (06/19/91)

From article <14466@dog.ee.lbl.gov>, by rob@cad4.lbl.gov (Barracuda):
> In article <1991Jun18.163955.20140@d.cs.okstate.edu> ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) writes:
>>From article <1991Jun16.232753.27867@casbah.acns.nwu.edu>, by hpa@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (H. Peter Anvin):
>>> In article <2002@ole.UUCP> of comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,
>>>   ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) writes:
>
> [stuff about 2.88 meg disks deleted]
>

>>I doubt the 2.8MB will become a standard anywhere close to 1.44MB now
>>due to the lack of a single major move (IBM adopting 1.44MB for its PS/2's)
>>towards that direction.  Besides, most PC users IME (in my estimation)
>>still does not have 1.44MB.
>
> And...why go with a stinkin 2.88 meg drive when Insite Peripherals will be
> coming out with a 20 meg 3.5" floppy in August? It'll be backward compatible
> with the 1.44 meg and 720k disks too!

Well, the last time I heard, the 20meg floppy drive cost $800, with
each disk at $25.  I doubt it can be popular at that price (or even
1/2 that price)!

There is however another alternative.  The Syquest 40meg removable
hard drive (SCSI) price has come down some what.  The last time I
flipped thru the magazine, there was an ad that sells the drive
(probably w/o the SCSI card) for $350.  The setback is the price
of each cartridge.  Most shops seems to be selling it at $75 each.

rjmanno@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Richard Joseph Manno) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun19.040845.25553@d.cs.okstate.edu> ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) writes:
>From article <14466@dog.ee.lbl.gov>, by rob@cad4.lbl.gov (Barracuda):
>> In article <1991Jun18.163955.20140@d.cs.okstate.edu> ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) writes:
>>>From article <1991Jun16.232753.27867@casbah.acns.nwu.edu>, by hpa@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (H. Peter Anvin):
>>
>> [stuff about 2.88 meg disks deleted]
>>

>There is however another alternative.  The Syquest 40meg removable
>hard drive (SCSI) price has come down some what.  The last time I
>flipped thru the magazine, there was an ad that sells the drive
>(probably w/o the SCSI card) for $350.  The setback is the price
>of each cartridge.  Most shops seems to be selling it at $75 each.

If you consider what it would cost per disk to buy 40megs worth of
1.44 meg disks at a total price of $75, it would come to about $2.67
per disk ($75 / 28 disks --> 28 1.44meg disks is approx. 40megs).  This
doesn't sound too outrageous when you consider that what your getting
is really a hard disk with considerable speed advantage over the
equivalent floppies.  Not to mention that it's a lot easier to deal with
1 40meg cartridge than 28 1.44meg floppies.

                                               Rich  :-)
Don't believe anything I say.
I'm just a student, so none of my knowledge is official.