[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] resurrection of MFM drive formatted with RLL cont.

walt@brahms.udel.edu (Walter M Dabell) (06/20/91)

I picked up a known working MFM drive at a flea market. The paperwork
that came with the drive said the drive was compatible with MFM or RLL.
I was suspicious, but tried formating it with an RLL controller anyway.
I now suspect that the drive has two versions, one of each format. The
drive doesn't work with the RLL controller. I tried to re-format the
drive with an MFM controller and now the drive doesn't work on MFM
either. The formatter I am using is the debug callable one on the WD
controller. Anybody know of a way to get the thing working with the
MFM controller again?

walt@delocn.udel.edu

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (06/21/91)

In article <22251@brahms.udel.edu> walt@brahms.udel.edu (Walter M Dabell) writes:

>I picked up a known working MFM drive at a flea market. The paperwork
>that came with the drive said the drive was compatible with MFM or RLL.
>I was suspicious, but tried formating it with an RLL controller anyway.
>I now suspect that the drive has two versions, one of each format. The
>drive doesn't work with the RLL controller. I tried to re-format the
>drive with an MFM controller and now the drive doesn't work on MFM
>either. The formatter I am using is the debug callable one on the WD
>controller. Anybody know of a way to get the thing working with the
>MFM controller again?

Re-format it with a different MFM controller. The WD controller is
brain-damaged; this is precisely why Seagate had the policy of
invalidating the warranty on non-certified MFM drives that people
tried to format using an RLL controller. They didn't want to have to
deal with other people's finicky format routines.

--
                Mike Schuster                      |   -CIS: 70346,1745
-NY Public Access UNIX:  schuster@panix.com        |   -MCI Mail, GENIE: