[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 1.4M floppy on IBM AT

arlo@wucs1.wustl.edu (Arlo T. Hasselbring) (06/18/91)

I am trying to install a 1.4M floppy on an IBM AT.  The setup only
allows for a 1.2M floppy.  I identified the 1.4 floppy as a 1.2 in
setup, and it seemed to work okay at first.  In formatting floppies,
it would only give me 1.2M of space, which is fine, and it seemed
to read and write to both 1.4M and 720 floppies okay.  However, now
it is only reading and writing intermittently.  It looks to me like
it is a timing problem.  Does anyone know how to install a 1.4M
floppy on an IBM AT?

arlo

email if desired: arlo@wucs1.wustl.edu

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun18.145457.28629@cec1.wustl.edu> arlo@wucs1.wustl.edu (Arlo T. Hasselbring) writes:
>I am trying to install a 1.4M floppy on an IBM AT.  The setup only
>allows for a 1.2M floppy.  I identified the 1.4 floppy as a 1.2 in
>setup, and it seemed to work okay at first.  In formatting floppies,
>it would only give me 1.2M of space, which is fine, and it seemed
>to read and write to both 1.4M and 720 floppies okay.  However, now
>it is only reading and writing intermittently.  It looks to me like
>it is a timing problem.  Does anyone know how to install a 1.4M
>floppy on an IBM AT?

What is the date of your BIOS?
The 11/15/85 BIOS will work with a 1.44 is you use a third-party setup
program like GSETUP, and tell it that you have a 1.44.

--
                Mike Schuster                      |   -CIS: 70346,1745
-NY Public Access UNIX:  schuster@panix.com        |   -MCI Mail, GENIE: