[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Soundblaster MIDI support Roland compatible?

jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Jason Merrill) (06/20/91)

I'm thinking about picking up a Soundblaster some time soon, but I was
wondering if the MIDI ports on the card are compatible with the industry
standard Roland card (the model number escapes me)?  If not, what
sequencers and such support it?

Jason Merrill
jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Jason Merrill) (06/20/91)

> I'm thinking about picking up a Soundblaster some time soon, but I was
> wondering if the MIDI ports on the card are compatible with the industry
> standard Roland card (the model number escapes me)?  If not, what
> sequencers and such support it?

Now I remember: the Roland MPU401.

Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu
jmerrill@hmcvax.bitnet			uunet!jarthur!jmerrill

woan@cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan) (06/21/91)

In article <JMERRILL.91Jun19210259@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Jason Merrill) writes:
>I'm thinking about picking up a Soundblaster some time soon, but I was
>wondering if the MIDI ports on the card are compatible with the industry
>standard Roland card (the model number escapes me)?  If not, what
>sequencers and such support it?

No they are not MPU-401 compatible and even worse they half duplex if I
remember correctly (can't output and record simultaneously)...

+ Ronald S. Woan                woan@cactus.org or woan@austin.vnet.ibm.com +
+ othernet                          Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +