[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 386SX Motherboards

ambush@kk4fs.UUCP (Ambush Bug) (07/30/90)

Does anyone out there have any experience with JDR microdevice's 386SX
motherboard?  I'm planning on upgrading my clone with a 386SX motherboard.
First, is this one any good?
Second, does anyone know of a better one?

thanks!
Erik.

axaris@acsu.buffalo.edu (vassilios e axaris) (10/01/90)

Hello netters,

I'd like some suggestions regarding good (in terms of reliability and speed)
386SX motherboards. The only brand name manufacturers of such devices I know
of are Mylex and Cache.
I have used a Chicony based system in the past, but was not thrilled by its
performance. I am looking for a 20MHz system with cache and a reasonable (over
4Meg) memory expansion capability on the board itself.
Any pointers/experiences/suggestions will be most welcome.

Vassilios E. Axaris
SUNY Buffalo Electrical & Computer Engineering.

jlow@nntp-server.caltech.edu (J. Alan Low) (06/13/91)

I'm interested in purchasing a 386 SX motherboard.  I'll probably be buying
one of those "bare bones" systems which consist of only the motherboard, a
power supply and a case.  I already have a standard IBM running an NEC V20
processor and a CGA, and I hope to put all of this stuff into the 386.

So I flipped through the THICK June issue of Computer Shopper and found so
lots of advertisements for 386SX motherboards.  LOTS of ads.  Prices range
from $340 all the way up to $380 for 16 and 20 MHz boards.  Case and power
supply adds about another $100.

I haven't bought any PC equipment in over 2 years now, and I have no idea who
is a reputable dealer.  I also have no idea what the difference is between
these boards (if any).  Are some of them faster?  Better built?

If anyone has any suggestions as to who I should buy from, PLEASE e-mail
me or post.

jlow@tybalt.caltech.edu

- J. Alan Low

P.S.  Do any of you know of a good Super VGA (1024 x 768) monitor that ALSO
      accepts NTSC signals (for use with a VCR)?

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (06/13/91)

WHY BUY AN SX?

Have you checked DX prices lately?

Read between the lines....

--
He cleaned the victims' apartment and then killed them.

gale@virtech.uucp (Gale A. Botwick) (06/14/91)

jlow@nntp-server.caltech.edu (J. Alan Low) writes:

>I'm interested in purchasing a 386 SX motherboard.  I'll probably be buying
>one of those "bare bones" systems which consist of only the motherboard, a
>power supply and a case.  I already have a standard IBM running an NEC V20
>processor and a CGA, and I hope to put all of this stuff into the 386.

>So I flipped through the THICK June issue of Computer Shopper and found so
>lots of advertisements for 386SX motherboards.  LOTS of ads.  Prices range
>from $340 all the way up to $380 for 16 and 20 MHz boards.  Case and power
>supply adds about another $100.

>I haven't bought any PC equipment in over 2 years now, and I have no idea who
>is a reputable dealer.  I also have no idea what the difference is between
>these boards (if any).  Are some of them faster?  Better built?

>> The difference between mother boards these days seems to be compatibility.
>> You're pretty safe if you can go with a Chips & Technology chipset with
>> either a C&T or AMI BIOS.  Make sure that it has been "burned in" and
>> that there are warranties, etc.  You might want to try Pioneer out of
>> CA.

>If anyone has any suggestions as to who I should buy from, PLEASE e-mail
>me or post.

>jlow@tybalt.caltech.edu

>- J. Alan Low

>P.S.  Do any of you know of a good Super VGA (1024 x 768) monitor that ALSO
>      accepts NTSC signals (for use with a VCR)?
--
Gale A. Botwick			Software Engineering Resources, Inc.
uunet!virtech!gale		(703)830-5034

rice@ecn.purdue.edu (Ken Rice) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun14.031312.27960@virtech.uucp>, gale@virtech.uucp
(Gale A. Botwick) writes:
|> jlow@nntp-server.caltech.edu (J. Alan Low) writes:
|>
|> >I'm interested in purchasing a 386 SX motherboard.  I'll probably be
buying
|> >one of those "bare bones" systems which consist of only the
motherboard, a
|> >power supply and a case.  I already have a standard IBM running an
NEC V20
|> >processor and a CGA, and I hope to put all of this stuff into the
386.

|> >So I flipped through the THICK June issue of Computer Shopper and
found so
|> >lots of advertisements for 386SX motherboards.  LOTS of ads.  Prices
range
|> >from $340 all the way up to $380 for 16 and 20 MHz boards.  Case and
power
|> >supply adds about another $100.
|>
|> >I haven't bought any PC equipment in over 2 years now, and I have no
idea who
|> >is a reputable dealer.  I also have no idea what the difference is
between
|> >these boards (if any).  Are some of them faster?  Better built?

I purchased a DataExpert 386SX motherboard at the Dayton Hamfest in
April.
It uses the OPTI chipset and AMI bios.  I have not had the first
problem
with compatibility so far.  I have run a lot of different software,
including
Desqview and QEMM under MSDOS 3.21.  The ONLY gripe I have, so far, is
that
the manual that came with it does not explain the AMI bios options at
all.
It merely gives you the possibilities - no explanation as to what those
possibilities will do to you.  If anyone has info on these options, I
would
love to have some Email from you.

|> >If anyone has any suggestions as to who I should buy from, PLEASE
e-mail
|> >me or post.
|>
|> >jlow@tybalt.caltech.edu
|>
|> >- J. Alan Low
|>
|> >P.S.  Do any of you know of a good Super VGA (1024 x 768) monitor
that ALSO
|> >      accepts NTSC signals (for use with a VCR)?
|> --
|> Gale A. Botwick			Software Engineering Resources, Inc.
|> uunet!virtech!gale		(703)830-5034

--

	rice@orchestra.ecn.purdue.edu			...!pur-ee!rice
	Ken Rice, Computer Maintenance Engineer