[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Diagnostics with AMI BIOS

Robert_Bell@mindlink.bc.ca (Robert Bell) (06/18/91)

Inorder to invoke the diagnostics press the delete key after the computer has
finished its ram check.
Robert Bell                       uunet!van_bc!rsoft!mindlink!a1076
Benndorf-Verster                  a1076@mindlink.uucp
Vancouver Canada                  voice 604-853-5870

ker@cbnewsj.att.com (kenneth.roser) (06/19/91)

My 386-33 machine has an AMI bios dated 5/91.  I thought that one of the
features of an AMI BIOS was built in diagnostics.  How does one invoke
these diagnostics?   It's not specified in my motherboard documentation.

On the other hand, is it possible my BIOS doesn't have this feature?

Ken Roser - WA2VCI - ker@mtgzy.att.com - AT&T Bell Laboratories - 908-957-5822

reisert@mast.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.170421.26077@cbnewsj.att.com>, ker@cbnewsj.att.com (kenneth.roser) writes...
>My 386-33 machine has an AMI bios dated 5/91.  I thought that one of the
>features of an AMI BIOS was built in diagnostics.  How does one invoke
>these diagnostics?   It's not specified in my motherboard documentation.

I have an older AMI BIOS in my Northgate, and during the boot process,
before it access the disks, there is a prompt to hit DEL to get to the
SETUP/DIAGNOSTICS menu.  Yours should have the same.

- Jim

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

James J. Reisert                Internet:  reisert@mast.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:      ...decwrl!mast.enet!reisert
146 Main Street			Voice:     508-493-5747
Maynard, MA  01754		FAX:       508-493-0395

ker@cbnewsj.att.com (kenneth.roser) (06/19/91)

I thank everyone for the responses that indicate I should be able to run
diagnostics after hitting DEL at boot time, but it just isn't true with
my BIOS.  I can only enter SETUP after hitting DEL.

My motherboard uses a chipset called "TI Tiger" and possibly AMI doesn't
support the diagnostics for this particular motherboard/chipset.

chaz@chinet.chi.il.us (Charlie Kestner) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.170421.26077@cbnewsj.att.com> ker@cbnewsj.att.com (kenneth.roser) writes:
>My 386-33 machine has an AMI bios dated 5/91.  I thought that one of the
>features of an AMI BIOS was built in diagnostics.  How does one invoke
>these diagnostics?   It's not specified in my motherboard documentation.
>
>On the other hand, is it possible my BIOS doesn't have this feature?

  You can get to the diagnostics (provided your BIOS has them), by
doing whatever is required to get to the CMOS setup program at
bootup.
  On my AMI BIOS (dated 4/90), I get there by hitting the delete key
at bootup.  The BIOS then presents me with a choice of "SETUP" or
"DIAGS".

harbula@edinboro.edu (Dave Harbula) (06/19/91)

In article <23619@shlump.lkg.dec.com>, reisert@mast.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) writes:
> In article <1991Jun18.170421.26077@cbnewsj.att.com>, ker@cbnewsj.att.com (kenneth.roser) writes...
>>My 386-33 machine has an AMI bios dated 5/91.  I thought that one of the
>>features of an AMI BIOS was built in diagnostics.  How does one invoke
>>these diagnostics?   It's not specified in my motherboard documentation.

> I have an older AMI BIOS in my Northgate, and during the boot process,
> before it access the disks, there is a prompt to hit DEL to get to the
> SETUP/DIAGNOSTICS menu.  Yours should have the same.

Hmmm...   The AMI bios in my ARES is dated 3/91 wants me to hit ESC.

  - Dave

cg108w3@ucsd.edu (Steve - Happy Hacker) (06/21/91)

--=}>> On 19 Jun 91 03:48:26 GMT, chaz@chinet.chi.il.us (Charlie Kestner) said:

CK> In article <1991Jun18.170421.26077@cbnewsj.att.com> ker@cbnewsj.att.com (kenneth.roser) writes:

>My 386-33 machine has an AMI bios dated 5/91.  I thought that one of
>the features of an AMI BIOS was built in diagnostics.  How does one
>invoke these diagnostics?  It's not specified in my motherboard
>documentation.
>
>On the other hand, is it possible my BIOS doesn't have this feature?

CK> You can get to the diagnostics (provided your BIOS has them), by
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
CK> doing whatever is required to get to the CMOS setup program at
CK> bootup.  On my AMI BIOS (dated 4/90), I get there by hitting the
CK> delete key at bootup.  The BIOS then presents me with a choice of
CK> "SETUP" or "DIAGS".

I have seen several (including my own) AMI BIOS's that DO NOT have the
diagnostics program in them.  AMI offers the same diagnostics on disk,
and I was able to find them on a local BBS.  Although, it would be
nicer to be able to use them when the computer won't boot at all.

For the interested, I have an Amstrad 386/33 motherboard with the VLSI
brand chip set.  Hitting Del at boot time gives me the choice of RUN
SETUP or REBOOT.  Also, it has no extended BIOS configurations.
Things like bus speed and wait states are all jumper controlled.

Looks like there are different types of AMI BIOS's.

-Steve
--
}>> Steve Haehnichen <<{
  shaehnichen@ucsd.edu      Disclaimer: UCSD and I do not share any opinions.

rice@ecn.purdue.edu (Ken Rice) (06/21/91)

Kestner) said:

|> CK> In article <1991Jun18.170421.26077@cbnewsj.att.com>
ker@cbnewsj.att.com (kenneth.roser) writes:

|> >My 386-33 machine has an AMI bios dated 5/91.  I thought that one
of
|> >the features of an AMI BIOS was built in diagnostics.  How does one
|> >invoke these diagnostics?  It's not specified in my motherboard
|> >documentation.
|> >
|> >On the other hand, is it possible my BIOS doesn't have this
feature?

|> CK> You can get to the diagnostics (provided your BIOS has them), by
|>                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|> CK> doing whatever is required to get to the CMOS setup program at
|> CK> bootup.  On my AMI BIOS (dated 4/90), I get there by hitting the
|> CK> delete key at bootup.  The BIOS then presents me with a choice
of
|> CK> "SETUP" or "DIAGS".
|>
|> I have seen several (including my own) AMI BIOS's that DO NOT have
the
|> diagnostics program in them.  AMI offers the same diagnostics on
disk,
|> and I was able to find them on a local BBS.  Although, it would be
|> nicer to be able to use them when the computer won't boot at all.

I agree.  My DataExpert 386SX has the OPTI chipset with AMI bios.  When
I hit DEL, after RAM tests, I get the choice of SETUP or Extended
SETUP.
No diagnostics.

|> For the interested, I have an Amstrad 386/33 motherboard with the
VLSI
|> brand chip set.  Hitting Del at boot time gives me the choice of RUN
|> SETUP or REBOOT.  Also, it has no extended BIOS configurations.
|> Things like bus speed and wait states are all jumper controlled.
|>
|> Looks like there are different types of AMI BIOS's.
|>
|> -Steve
|> --
|> }>> Steve Haehnichen <<{
|>   shaehnichen@ucsd.edu      Disclaimer: UCSD and I do not share any
opinions.

--

	rice@orchestra.ecn.purdue.edu			...!pur-ee!rice
	Ken Rice, Computer Maintenance Engineer

dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Darmawan Ludirdja) (06/21/91)

cg108w3@ucsd.edu (Steve - Happy Hacker) writes:

>--=}>> On 19 Jun 91 03:48:26 GMT, chaz@chinet.chi.il.us (Charlie Kestner) said:

>CK> In article <1991Jun18.170421.26077@cbnewsj.att.com> ker@cbnewsj.att.com (kenneth.roser) writes:

>>My 386-33 machine has an AMI bios dated 5/91.  I thought that one of
>>the features of an AMI BIOS was built in diagnostics.  How does one
>>invoke these diagnostics?  It's not specified in my motherboard
>>documentation.
>>
>>On the other hand, is it possible my BIOS doesn't have this feature?

>CK> You can get to the diagnostics (provided your BIOS has them), by
>                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>CK> doing whatever is required to get to the CMOS setup program at
>CK> bootup.  On my AMI BIOS (dated 4/90), I get there by hitting the
>CK> delete key at bootup.  The BIOS then presents me with a choice of
>CK> "SETUP" or "DIAGS".

>I have seen several (including my own) AMI BIOS's that DO NOT have the
>diagnostics program in them.  AMI offers the same diagnostics on disk,
>and I was able to find them on a local BBS.  Although, it would be
>nicer to be able to use them when the computer won't boot at all.

>For the interested, I have an Amstrad 386/33 motherboard with the VLSI
>brand chip set.  Hitting Del at boot time gives me the choice of RUN
>SETUP or REBOOT.  Also, it has no extended BIOS configurations.
>Things like bus speed and wait states are all jumper controlled.

>Looks like there are different types of AMI BIOS's.

>-Steve
>--
>}>> Steve Haehnichen <<{
>  shaehnichen@ucsd.edu      Disclaimer: UCSD and I do not share any opinions.

There are some variety of AMI BIOSes!.
If you would like to know boot your computer before the system information
(while memory checking) on the left bottom of the screen you could read a line
Depending on what type of AMI bios you have if it is begin with
letter E ==> extended follow by chipset type of your motherboard and release
             date of BIOS.
          i.e. ESIS ==> Extended CMOS setup with SIS chipset.
                   if you press del after memory checking you will find
                   XCMOS on the third line.
letter D ==> diagnostics. follow by chipset type and date of release of the BIOS
          i.e  DINT ==> Diagnostics setup with Intel compatible.
               DC&T ==> Diagnostics setup with C&T chipset.
etc.....

Darmawan
dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu