[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Boot Problem

MLWLG@CUNYVM.BITNET (06/21/91)

Hello.
Resently, I added a S-VGA card and monitor to  my system and, it worked fine.

Then I added a combination I/O Card with 2 serial, 1 Parellel, and 1 Game port
to the system.......:-(

Now the system will not always boot, either from the Hard or floppy drives. So,
I then removed the multiport card. But still the problem remains; I can live
the problem because it is intermittent, yes, sometimes the system will boot
cold or warm, but not consistently.

Any theories?

Thank you,
Larry Muller

ericb@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) (06/21/91)

MLWLG@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:

>Hello.
>Resently, I added a S-VGA card and monitor to  my system and, it worked fine.

>Then I added a combination I/O Card with 2 serial, 1 Parellel, and 1 Game port
>to the system.......:-(

>Now the system will not always boot, either from the Hard or floppy drives. So,
>I then removed the multiport card. But still the problem remains; I can live
>the problem because it is intermittent, yes, sometimes the system will boot
>cold or warm, but not consistently.

   Hmmm... Can you be a little more specific when you say it doesn't boot?
Does it get through POST? Does it attempt to boot off the drive then stop?
etc...

-e.b.

  Eric Berggren             |         "Life is a Turing Test;
  Computer Science/Eng.     |           We're all automatons!"
  ericb@eecs.cs.pdx.edu     |              - (click, whir, buzz, chirp)

<MLWLG@CUNYVM.BITNET> (06/24/91)

What Do I mean by 'boot', I mean:

  1) POST is completed.
  2) It seems to start to read from the HD, then the system stops.
     The result is a blank screen except for a flashing cursor in the
     upper left-hand corner. By 'seems,' I mean that the drive makes the
     usual (ie, the sounds prior to this new Svga-card) sounds to my ear.
  3) I replaced the old graphics card, and now the system works again; sounds
     and all.

  2.1) The same holds true for when I try to boot from the fd.

  ---Could the Vga card be desigend to interfere w/ the HD/DH card?

  ---Are there no standards to adhere to when it comes to peripheral
     add-ons?

  ---And if the dealer does not take back/exchange this card, I hope
     MasterCard interfaces well with this. :-)