[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Adaptec 1542B and Fujitsu SCSI drive - won't BOOT!

michaelb@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Michael Bloxham) (06/20/91)

I am attempting to install a Fujitsu M2263S/H SCSI drive in a DTK 386/33
machine (with DTK BOIS) and a Trident 256kb SVGA card. I can boot from
floppy and create a partition on the HD, format it and put a SYStem on it,
but the machine will not boot from the drive.  The adaptec BIOS finds the
drive, and the DTK BIOS is configured for NO-DRIVe like the adaptec manual
says to do.  After looking for a floppy in drive A:, the system hangs.
The Adaptec BIOS is loading in a good memory location (video is not
interferring).  Any ideas??  Any help would really be appreciated.

mike

Michael L. Bloxham         | Real programmers don't comment their code.
michaelb@vms.macc.wisc.edu | If it was hard to write, it should be hard
michaelb@WISCMACC.bitnet   | to understand.

gemini@geminix.in-berlin.de (Uwe Doering) (06/22/91)

michaelb@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Michael Bloxham) writes:

>I am attempting to install a Fujitsu M2263S/H SCSI drive in a DTK 386/33
>machine (with DTK BOIS) and a Trident 256kb SVGA card. I can boot from
>floppy and create a partition on the HD, format it and put a SYStem on it,
>but the machine will not boot from the drive.  The adaptec BIOS finds the
>drive, and the DTK BIOS is configured for NO-DRIVe like the adaptec manual
>says to do.  After looking for a floppy in drive A:, the system hangs.
>The Adaptec BIOS is loading in a good memory location (video is not
>interferring).  Any ideas??  Any help would really be appreciated.

I had this problem some weeks ago. This is a problem with the DTK BIOS
release you use. There are several DTK BIOS releases all with the same
version number. It was pure luck that someone else told me that. I
hate DTK for this.

Try to get an up to date DTK BIOS from your computer dealer. Sorry that
I don't have this version number handy right now. I run UNIX on my 386
box, so I can't boot as easily as DOS users to look at the boot message.
But on the other hand, this number would tell you nothing, as I pointed
out.

      Uwe
--
Uwe Doering  |  INET : gemini@geminix.in-berlin.de
Berlin       |----------------------------------------------------------------

michaelb@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Michael Bloxham) (06/24/91)

In article <KE4R2JU@geminix.in-berlin.de>, gemini@geminix.in-berlin.de (Uwe Doering) writes...

>michaelb@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Michael Bloxham) writes:
>
>>I am attempting to install a Fujitsu M2263S/H SCSI drive in a DTK 386/33
>>machine (with DTK BOIS) and a Trident 256kb SVGA card. I can boot from
>>floppy and create a partition on the HD, format it and put a SYStem on it,
>>but the machine will not boot from the drive.  The adaptec BIOS finds the
>>drive, and the DTK BIOS is configured for NO-DRIVe like the adaptec manual
>>says to do.  After looking for a floppy in drive A:, the system hangs.
>>The Adaptec BIOS is loading in a good memory location (video is not
>>interferring).  Any ideas??  Any help would really be appreciated.
>
>I had this problem some weeks ago. This is a problem with the DTK BIOS
>release you use. There are several DTK BIOS releases all with the same
>version number. It was pure luck that someone else told me that. I
>hate DTK for this.
>
>      Uwe
>--
>Uwe Doering  |  INET : gemini@geminix.in-berlin.de
>Germany      |  UUCP : ...!unido!fub!geminix.in-berlin.de!gemini

It turns out I needed to do a low level format with the controller I was
using.  I had been using the low level format the drive had from the
factory.  The Adaptec was happy with it's own LL format.  Thanks for all
who replied to my message!