[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] AMI 386/20 + Cache Memory switches

mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires) (06/24/91)

I have a 386/20 + 64K cache mini-AT size motherboard made by AMI about two
years ago.  The motherboard has no memory; up to 8MB of 1MB DIP memory can
be placed on a card that plugs into a 32-bit bus.  The board came with 4MB
and I would like to upgrade it to 8MB, but the company that sold me the
board has disappeared or moved and I was never able to get docs on the
board out of them.

The memory board has a single DIP switch with three switches on it.  I played
with these without blowing up anything but wasn't able to do anything useful.

Any suggestions?

--

Mike Squires (mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)     812 855 3974 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu          546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408

marshall@hplsla.HP.COM (Marshall Lollis) (06/25/91)

Yea Mike,

Make me an offer on my one remaining 8-Meg BocaRAM card. This is a 16-bit
add-on card which is fully loaded with 8 megs of 100nS RAM. It is 5 months
old, and has a 5 year warranty. It works as conventional, extended or expanded
depending on how you set it up! It comes with software drivers on a 5 1/4 disk.
I had 2, the first sold for $375. What do you think?

*Marshall*

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) (06/25/91)

In article <13000018@hplsla.HP.COM> marshall@hplsla.HP.COM (Marshall Lollis) writes:
>Yea Mike,
>Make me an offer on my one remaining 8-Meg BocaRAM card. This is a 16-bit
>add-on card which is fully loaded with 8 megs of 100nS RAM. It is 5 months
>old, and has a 5 year warranty. It works as conventional, extended or expanded
>depending on how you set it up! It comes with software drivers on a 5 1/4 disk.
>I had 2, the first sold for $375. What do you think?
>
>*Marshall*

Eeeeek!!!!  C'mon.  That board would be several times slower than adding 4 meg
to Mike's 8 meg board.  The reason is not only the 32 bit wide data bus but
it is running at 20mhz vs the ISA bus's 8 to 12mhz.

If I were Mike, I would wait for someone to say, "Yes, I have one of those.
All you need to do is..."  Mike seemed to imply that the motherboard was made
by AMI (the MOTHERBOARD, not the _BIOS_).  AMI is still alive and well, and
is easy to get ahold of-- but the phone number is not at hand right now...

Good Luck!

--
David Kessner - david@kessner.denver.co.us            |
1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) | Reunite PANGEA!