[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Some HD Questions

grund@pyrite.som.cwru.edu (Victor Grund) (06/24/91)

Thanks to all who answered my question about whether an IDE drive will
work with 386 unixes (answer: usually yes, but check for each possible
OS).  My consideration of finances balanced with future needs has me
asking the following questions:

(Assuming DOS (Windows) and maybe OS/2 2.0 later on...)
1) Can a secondary SCSI controller co-exist with an ESDI controller?
2) Can a secondary SCSI or ESDI controller work with an IDE
   controller?

3) Should I decide to run some sort of 386 unix, do your answers
   change?

My consideration of a Gateway 2000 system has me asking these
questions.  I anticipate initial HD space requirements in the 400 MB
range, and would like to leave my options open for future expansion.
SCSI appeals to me because of its versatility, but Gateway does not
offer SCSI configurations.

If I've missed previous postings answering these questions, I'd
appreciate your email.  Thanks for your input.

Victor
--
Victor D. Grund 		| grund@pyrite.som.cwru.edu [129.22.48.4]
IBM Cleveland                   | uunet!cwjcc!pyrite!grund

mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.113004.20327@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> grund@pyrite.som.cwru.edu (Victor Grund) writes:
>My consideration of a Gateway 2000 system has me asking these
>questions.  I anticipate initial HD space requirements in the 400 MB
>range, and would like to leave my options open for future expansion.
>SCSI appeals to me because of its versatility, but Gateway does not
>offer SCSI configurations.

Why don't you ask Gateway to deduct the price of the Hard disk, and add your
own?

* * * * * *  ====================== Meir Green
 * * * * * * ====================== (Internet) mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
* * * * * *  ====================== meir@msb.com  mig@asteroids.cs.columbia.edu
 * * * * * * ====================== (Amateur Radio) N2JPG

grund@pyrite.som.cwru.edu (Victor Grund) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.205054.11376@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, mig@cunixb (Meir) writes:
>In article <1991Jun24.113004.20327@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> grund@pyrite.som.cwru.edu (Victor Grund) writes:
>>My consideration of a Gateway 2000 system has me asking these
>>questions.  I anticipate initial HD space requirements in the 400 MB
>>range, and would like to leave my options open for future expansion.
>>SCSI appeals to me because of its versatility, but Gateway does not
>>offer SCSI configurations.
>
>Why don't you ask Gateway to deduct the price of the Hard disk, and add your
>own?

I thought of this, but I'd still like the referenced info for
contingency planning.

Victor
--
Victor D. Grund 		| grund@pyrite.som.cwru.edu [129.22.48.4]
IBM Cleveland                   | uunet!cwjcc!pyrite!grund
Opinions expressed are my own,  | (216) 664-7381
of course.                      | Home of the Cleveland Orchestra!

mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.113004.20327@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> grund@pyrite.som.cwru.edu (Victor Grund) writes:
>(Assuming DOS (Windows) and maybe OS/2 2.0 later on...)
>1) Can a secondary SCSI controller co-exist with an ESDI controller?
>2) Can a secondary SCSI or ESDI controller work with an IDE
>   controller?
Probably (I think) :-)

>3) Should I decide to run some sort of 386 unix, do your answers
>   change?

>My consideration of a Gateway 2000 system has me asking these
>questions.  I anticipate initial HD space requirements in the 400 MB
>range, and would like to leave my options open for future expansion.
>SCSI appeals to me because of its versatility, but Gateway does not
>offer SCSI configurations.

Bearing all of the above in mind, I would say that your best bet is to go SCSI.
SCSI is particularly suited to large drives, more so than IDE, because you will
find that most backup devices are SCSI.  You will probably need certain drivers
especially for UNIX and OS/2, etc.  You will likely even need them for MSDOS.

Soon, I expect a lot of SCSI mass-storage device, giant floppies, etc.  I would
definitely go with SCSI if I were getting such a large drive.  Bear in mind
that most users of large drives are running operating systems such as UNIX,
which are almost exclusively SCSI these days....