[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Dual Monitors

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (11/27/90)

 In a previous posting, someone mentioned a file with information on
setting up a dual monitor based system. I believe it was ftp-able.
I tried to  email a request for it but unfortunately my mailer chokes
on some types of addresses. I'd rather not consume bandwidth with what
appears to be a common thread, so good someone send me the file or
direct me to its location ? Thanks

Jeff Sicherman
sichermn@beach.csulb.edu

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (11/27/90)

I'm sure this has been discussed to death but I missed it all so ...

Want to use a dual monitor system. Have mono monitor (true blue)
with Herc adaptor (true ?). Want to add an EGA monitor and card
(yes, I said and mean EGA, this is a compatibility issue for a
target system so dont argue/flame about superiority of VGA).

Are there any special requirements on EGA card (if its the type
that emulates/supports herc doesnt that interfere with the herc
itself ?). Are any adaptors excluded. Can any adaptors support
both monitors concurrently ?

Jeff Sicherman
sichermn@beach.csulb.edu

krab@iesd.auc.dk (Kresten Krab Thorup) (11/29/90)

Check your dealer to be sure...

I suppose most `modern' EGA/VGA adaptors are capalable of
being used with a Hercules Monochrome adaptor.

Kresten

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (02/07/91)

Someone recently posted that if I have a 16-bit VGA card and an 8-bit
monochrome card in my system that my VGA will automatically be throttled
down to 8-bit...this would become an unacceptable bottleneck in my
IO (I have a 386-33).  If so, is there a way around it?

Brian

nee@cf_su14.Sbi.Com (Robert Nee) (02/08/91)

> Someone recently posted that if I have a 16-bit VGA card and an 8-bit
> monochrome card in my system that my VGA will automatically be throttled
> down to 8-bit...this would become an unacceptable bottleneck in my
> IO (I have a 386-33).  If so, is there a way around it?

As far as I know there isn't.  The solution would be a monochrome
display adapter with a 16-bit interface.  This would allow both
displays to coexist and operate at full 16-bit speed.  But alas
monochrome is dead...  Who would want a 16bit mono board anyway?

I WOULD!

Robert F. Nee <nee@cf_su20.Sbi.Com>

jim@rwsys.lonestar.org (James Wyatt KA5VJL) (02/09/91)

In article <26762@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:

>Someone recently posted that if I have a 16-bit VGA card and an 8-bit
>monochrome card in my system that my VGA will automatically be throttled
>down to 8-bit...this would become an unacceptable bottleneck in my
>IO (I have a 386-33).  If so, is there a way around it?

We use SuperVGA boards for running Windows and add a modified MDA board for
running CodeView (ToadView!) to debug. An unmodified MDA really slows video
access even when you aren't debugging, so we added a switch on the back. If
we had Turbo switches on the front I'd use that and a relay/gate.

The switch disables memory and IO reads to the MDA board, so the BIOS won't
detect it during the POST. Just flip the switch and reset (NOT Ctl-Alt-Del
on most machines) to choose speed or debugging.

To add the enable switch, you'll need:
	1ea, DPDT or DPST (rare) switch (small!) (Radio Shack 275-626)
	2ea, 10K Ohm 1/4W resistors (2/5 of Radio Shack 271-1339)
	2ft, 30ga wire-wrap wire (Radio Shack 278-503 or -501)

1. Hardware work: Remove the mounting bracket from the board. Drill a hole
	near the bottom for the switch (make sure it clears anything near the
	edge of the board) and install the switch in the bracket. Reattach the
	mounting bracket to the MDA board.

2. Cut the traces going to the B12 and B14 contacts on the 62-pin bus
	connector. Wire the switch and two resistors like so:

	        cut trace-\
	B12 >-----------\  X /---------*----> to -SMEMR uses
	                 |   |         |   10K
	                 O   O   O     \--/\/\/---*---> +5V
	 [add switch]->                           |
	                 O   O   O     /--\/\/\---/
	                 |   |         |   10K
	B14 >------------/ X  \--------*----> to -IOR uses
	                   ^
	        cut trace-/

3. Install the board and test for proper operation. The resistors are to
	pull-up the memory and IO read lines if %sMOS is used while not

Hope this helps someone else as much as much as it has us. - jim
----
James Wyatt (KA5VJL) - Standard disclaimer applies...          (H)817-595-0571
{letni.lonestar.org,merch.tandy.com}!rwsys.lonestar.org!jim    (W)817-390-2864

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (02/10/91)

In article <166@cf_su20.cf_su10.Sbi.COM> nee@cf_su14.Sbi.Com (Robert Nee) writes:
>> Someone recently posted that if I have a 16-bit VGA card and an 8-bit
>> monochrome card in my system that my VGA will automatically be throttled
>> down to 8-bit...this would become an unacceptable bottleneck in my
>> IO (I have a 386-33).  If so, is there a way around it?
>
>As far as I know there isn't.  The solution would be a monochrome
>display adapter with a 16-bit interface.  This would allow both
>displays to coexist and operate at full 16-bit speed.  But alas
>monochrome is dead...  Who would want a 16bit mono board anyway?

I just discovered from someone over at comp.windows.ms.programmer that
supposedly the VGA cards out there all operate at 8-bit bandwidth
when IN GRAPHICS MODE....is this true?  Even the 16-bit ones do.

Brian

nee@cf_su14.Sbi.Com (Robert Nee) (02/11/91)

> I just discovered from someone over at comp.windows.ms.programmer that
> supposedly the VGA cards out there all operate at 8-bit bandwidth
> when IN GRAPHICS MODE....is this true?  Even the 16-bit ones do.

No.  This is not true.  However all VGA cards will operate in 8-bit mode
ALL THE TIME if they are installed in a system with an 8-bit MDA board.
This puts about a 32% drain in display performance on my system.
I just spent a day searching around a computer fair for an MDA with a
16-bit interface.  No luck though.  I think I may give up.

Robert F. Nee <nee@cf_su20.Sbi.Com>

douglass@davidsys.com (02/11/91)

In article <26810@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
> In article <166@cf_su20.cf_su10.Sbi.COM> nee@cf_su14.Sbi.Com (Robert Nee) writes:
>>> Someone recently posted that if I have a 16-bit VGA card and an 8-bit
>>> monochrome card in my system that my VGA will automatically be throttled
>>> down to 8-bit...this would become an unacceptable bottleneck in my
>>> IO (I have a 386-33).  If so, is there a way around it?
>>As far as I know there isn't.  The solution would be a monochrome
>>display adapter with a 16-bit interface.  This would allow both
>>displays to coexist and operate at full 16-bit speed.  But alas
>>monochrome is dead...  Who would want a 16bit mono board anyway?
> I just discovered from someone over at comp.windows.ms.programmer that
> supposedly the VGA cards out there all operate at 8-bit bandwidth
> when IN GRAPHICS MODE....is this true?  Even the 16-bit ones do.

I'm afraid that the only ways I know of to get to the graphics memory
involve (steps are pseudo-operations):
1) selecting the bit-plane to write to,
2) setting up 8-bit color mask registers on E/VGA card,
3) writing pixels to that color plane,

Note step 2.
I believe that [EV]GA has a hardware limitation in 16-color graphics
modes which cripples normal VGA graphics to 8-bit operations.
The 256-color modes may not have this problem, I don't know.
(Any corrections gladly accepted).

Also, I have done some testing of some systems I have available and
found no difference in performance to my 16-bit VgaWonder with an
IBM monochrome adapter in or out.
Testing indicates (on *my* system, YMMV):
16-bit VGA fastest (only text mode tested, of course)
8-bit M[DG]A (or CGA) takes twice as long to write to as 16-bit VGA
IBM EGA (8-bit) three times as long as 16-bit VGA

These results gathered on 6 and 8 MHz 80286 AT clones, 16 MHz Compaq 386,
16 and 33 MHz 80386 clones.
Test consisted of an assembly program that moved screenfuls of data
from main memory to the screen 2000 times and counted timer ticks.

Sorry to run on so long, but I just can't understand why an 8-bit
card should slow down a 16-bit card!?!   At least it doesn't in my case.

--
-{JD}-  Jeff (douglass@davidsys.com)
/*   My opinions are my own.  Who else would want them?   */

phil@cs.mcgill.ca (Philip LOCONG) (02/12/91)

In article <8130@davidsys.com> douglass@davidsys.com writes:

>Also, I have done some testing of some systems I have available and
>found no difference in performance to my 16-bit VgaWonder with an
>IBM monochrome adapter in or out.
>Testing indicates (on *my* system, YMMV):
>16-bit VGA fastest (only text mode tested, of course)
>8-bit M[DG]A (or CGA) takes twice as long to write to as 16-bit VGA
>IBM EGA (8-bit) three times as long as 16-bit VGA
>
>These results gathered on 6 and 8 MHz 80286 AT clones, 16 MHz Compaq 386,
>16 and 33 MHz 80386 clones.
>Test consisted of an assembly program that moved screenfuls of data
>from main memory to the screen 2000 times and counted timer ticks.
>
>Sorry to run on so long, but I just can't understand why an 8-bit
>card should slow down a 16-bit card!?!   At least it doesn't in my case.

As earlier posts suggested it, the ISA bus specifications force the bus
to run each 128k section of RAM entirely in 8-bit mode or entirely in
16-bit mode, that means the A-B section has to be either 8 or 16-bit.
E[V]GA uses A000-B000 and B800-C000 for RAM while the MDA uses
B000-B100. This means if you have both, the RAM will interface with
the bus in 8-bit mode. And then, there is also the fact that many
16-bit VGA cards (not all) have an internal 8-bit data path which
becomes the actual bottleneck wether you use 8 or 16-bit mode. On
the other hand, an original IBM monochrome adapter uses 4k of
static RAM and has a data rate of 1.8 M bytes/sec. This will give
the VGA cards of today a much better performance than MDA even when
run at 8-bit. Then there's also the BIOS in the C-D section...

Philippe Locong
phil@bart.cs.mcgill.ca

nee@cf_su14.Salomon.Com (Robert Nee) (02/12/91)

>Sorry to run on so long, but I just can't understand why an 8-bit
>card should slow down a 16-bit card!?!   At least it doesn't in my case.

Perhaps your VGA card isn't running in 16-bit mode anyway.  I have seen
some cases where the VGA card wouldn't kick into 16-bit mode no matter
how few cards were installed in the system.

Try this.  Run your VGA card's diagnostics with the MDA card in and out.
Most will tell you if the card is running in 16 or 8 bit mode.  If it
is running in 8 bit mode, certain operations WILL be slower.  Tests on
my system for graphics intensive applications show about a 32% dip
in performance with an MDA present.

Robert F. Nee <nee@cf_su20.Sbi.Com>

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (02/13/91)

It seems that we never reached a conclusion whether or not a 16-bit VGA
card will be throttled down to 8-bit by having an MGA card plugged in
also, thus, if you reply, please answer the following questions:

	1.  How fast does the 16-bit VGA transfer information normally?
	2.  If a 16-bit VGA is throttled down to 8-bit, would a 16-bit MGA
		help things?
	3.  If it would, how hard would it be for EE friend of  mine to
		construct a 16-bit MGA?

Brian

rodman@sgi.com (Paul K. Rodman) (02/13/91)

Hello Netters,

Sorry to pester the net with this, but I have an old Compaq 286 "portable"
(about the size of a small satchel) with a problem. It has a 20Mb hard disk
that makes a terrible rattling racket. There seems to be no problem with the
disk otherwise.

I recall someone telling me that there is in fact, a simple fix for this
problem if you have access to the appropriate tools to get at some pesky loose
spring clip or something.

I've reached the point where this noise is intolerable, and I'm willing to
risk losing the disk so any info on how this problem is fixed would be
wonderfully received...

Thanks,

Mail responses to:

Paul Rodman
Silicon Graphics, Inc.
rodman@sgi.com
415 335 7209

--

Paul K. Rodman
Advanced Systems Division

bmarsh@cod.NOSC.MIL (William C. Marsh) (02/14/91)

In article <169@cf_su20.cf_su10.Sbi.COM> nee@cf_su14.Sbi.Com (Robert Nee) writes:
>> I just discovered from someone over at comp.windows.ms.programmer that
>> supposedly the VGA cards out there all operate at 8-bit bandwidth
>> when IN GRAPHICS MODE....is this true?  Even the 16-bit ones do.
>
>No.  This is not true.  However all VGA cards will operate in 8-bit mode
>ALL THE TIME if they are installed in a system with an 8-bit MDA board.

Sorry, the EGA/VGA interface is only 8 bits wide, so even if your VGA
connects to the '16 bit' connector, the board itself can only do 8 bits
at a time.  If you look at the memory architecture on the board, you will
also notice that it is (256, 512, ot 1024) x 8 bits.  All the cards 'fake'
16 bit accesses in graphics mode.

And anyway, all memory accesses to video memory is sync'd to H or V retrace
time, so 16 vr. 8 bits really don't amount to much.  (Even in the VRAM
adapters too!  What a waste!)

Bill
--
Bill Marsh, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA
{arpa,mil}net: bmarsh@cod.nosc.mil

nee@cf_su14.Salomon.Com (Robert Nee) (02/14/91)

> And anyway, all memory accesses to video memory is sync'd to H or V retrace
> time, so 16 vr. 8 bits really don't amount to much.

Hmmm.  On my system it amounts to about a 32% speed degredation.  This
is also very noticable in windows.  I am not just spouting useless
figures.

Do you have a monochome adapter?  Have you run you own benchmarks?
Do you want a copy of the ones I have been using?  What are the
results in your own tests?  What video board are you using?

Mr. Marsh's theories are sound, but something falls short in pactice.

Robert F. Nee <nee@cf_su20.Sbi.Com>

douglass@davidsys.com (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb12.010248.7563@cs.mcgill.ca>, phil@cs.mcgill.ca (Philip LOCONG) writes:
> In article <8130@davidsys.com> douglass@davidsys.com writes:
>>
>>Also, I have done some testing of some systems I have available and
>>found no difference in performance to my 16-bit VgaWonder with an
>>IBM monochrome adapter in or out.
>>Testing indicates (on *my* systems, YMMV):
>>16-bit VGA fastest (only text mode tested, of course)
>>8-bit M[DG]A (or CGA) takes twice as long to write to as 16-bit VGA
>>IBM EGA (8-bit) three times as long as 16-bit VGA
>>
>>These results gathered on 6 and 8 MHz 80286 AT clones, 16 MHz Compaq 386,
>>16 and 33 MHz 80386 clones.
>>Sorry to run on so long, but I just can't understand why an 8-bit
>>card should slow down a 16-bit card!?!   At least it doesn't in my case.
>
>As earlier posts suggested it, the ISA bus specifications force the bus
>to run each 128k section of RAM entirely in 8-bit mode or entirely in
>16-bit mode, that means the A-B section has to be either 8 or 16-bit.

Excuse me, but you're *WRONG*.
I've already run a test that indicates otherwise.
I know of projects where this 'limitation' was 'overcome'.
The 'problem' lies in the timing of the address lines coming from the
16-bit slot.
To put it simply, if the card responds quickly enough, there is NO PROBLEM.
(If the motherboard and/or card is not designed well enough, the card can
never respond 'quickly enough'.)
In other words:  Numbers talk (see above tests).
I would be interested to know of other cards that support fast access.
(or the converse).

>[ stuff proving that VGA and monochrome live within 128K deleted ]
>run at 8-bit. Then there's also the BIOS in the C-D section...

Now, with all of that out of the way, we all realize that the Video ROM
for the [EV]GA (at C000) is 8-bit.  Right?
By your argument, that would mean that all of C000-DFFF must be 8-bit?
Including your 16-bit ExPANded memory board (EMS)?
Including your 16-bit (memory_mapped) Network board (WD, 3COM, etc)?
Including your 16-bit nifty fast (memory_mapped) SCSI board?
Including your 16-bit (memory_mapped) tape backup board?

Try doing benchmarks, people.  It's really not that diffucult.

--
-{JD}-  Jeff (douglass@davidsys.com)  David Systems, Sunnyvale CA,(408)720-8000

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (02/15/91)

In article <2819@cod.NOSC.MIL> bmarsh@cod.nosc.mil.UUCP (William C. Marsh) writes:
<Sorry, the EGA/VGA interface is only 8 bits wide, so even if your VGA
<connects to the '16 bit' connector, the board itself can only do 8 bits
<at a time.  If you look at the memory architecture on the board, you will
<also notice that it is (256, 512, ot 1024) x 8 bits.  All the cards 'fake'
<16 bit accesses in graphics mode.

Utter rubbish!  The paradise vga card I have has memory that is 16 bits wide,
and it does indeed use 16-bit writes to update it (in text mode at the least).

<And anyway, all memory accesses to video memory is sync'd to H or V retrace
<time, so 16 vr. 8 bits really don't amount to much.  (Even in the VRAM
<adapters too!  What a waste!)

I don't know that much about the VRAM things, but the whole idea of using
dual-ported VRAMs is to overcome the need to wait for retrace cycles before
writing, so this statement is probably as accurate as the first paragraph was.
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

bmarsh@cod.NOSC.MIL (William C. Marsh) (02/15/91)

In article <176@cf_su20.cf_su10.Sbi.COM> nee@cf_su14.Salomon.Com (Robert Nee) writes:
>> And anyway, all memory accesses to video memory is sync'd to H or V retrace
>> time, so 16 vr. 8 bits really don't amount to much.

>Hmmm.  On my system it amounts to about a 32% speed degredation.  This
>is also very noticable in windows.  I am not just spouting useless
>figures.

You cannot use a windows based program for performing graphics benchmarks.
There is too much system in the way.  To properly test graphic board
performance, you must talk directly to the hardware.  No BIOS, No Windows,
No DV, etc.

>Do you have a monochome adapter?  Have you run you own benchmarks?

Yes, and Yes.  I write graphics animation software as a side job, and I
do not notice any speed degredation with a mono monitor or not.

>Do you want a copy of the ones I have been using?  What are the
>results in your own tests?  What video board are you using?

I use a Video 7 (now Headland) VRAM VGA with 512K on it, and a no-name clone
of the Hercules (Actually, the manual is a copy of the Hercules manual, with
the name blanked out.  Really 'no-name' ;-).  Look into any book about the
hardware of the VGA: Everything is 8 bits wide!  Bit masks, plane latches, etc.

I would like to see your tests.

Bill
--

nee@cf_su14.Salomon.Com (Robert Nee) (02/15/91)

> Try doing benchmarks, people.  It's really not that diffucult.

Grunt...  Wheez...  Puff... Puff...

Whew!  That was tough... ;-) There, I did the benchmarks.  With my MDA
board in and with it out.  I get 32% better performance in graphics
benchmarks with it out.  Am I *WRONG* also?

> To put it simply, if the card responds quickly enough, there is NO PROBLEM.

Isn't that dandy.  Which card?  The 8-bit or the 16-bit?  My MDA board
cost me $8.  My VGA board cost $300.  Do I need a new, better VGA to
make my $8 MDA work, or vica versa?

In addition, to anyone whose benchmarks show no performance change.  Are
you sure that your board is running in 16-bit mode to begin with?  My
VGA board's Diags report 16-bit mode only after I set the proper switches
and ONLY if there is no MDA board in my system.

My VGA (V7 VRAM) CLEARLY works better if it can get into 16-bit RAM
mode.  With MY MDA it can't.  Does anyone know of an MDA that will let
it?

Thanks.

Robert F. Nee <nee@cf_su20.Sbi.Com>

andyross@infopls.chi.il.us (Andrew Rossmann) (02/18/91)

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:

> It seems that we never reached a conclusion whether or not a 16-bit VGA
> card will be throttled down to 8-bit by having an MGA card plugged in
> also, thus, if you reply, please answer the following questions:
>
>       1.  How fast does the 16-bit VGA transfer information normally?
>       2.  If a 16-bit VGA is throttled down to 8-bit, would a 16-bit MGA
>               help things?
>       3.  If it would, how hard would it be for EE friend of  mine to
>               construct a 16-bit MGA?

  Here is some text taken from 'Prgrammers Guide to the EGA and VGA cards -
Second Edition' by Richard F. Ferraro. (pages 614-615).

13.2.6 16-bit Memory Transers

Designing a 16-bit interface for memroy transfers is not trivial on the AT
bus. The PC bus was designed by IBM. Once it was carved in stone there was
no turning back. There is a problem with the latched and unlatched address
bus on the AT. These two address buses are passed to the adapters through
the AT connectors. When 16-bit memory accesses are desired, a tri-stated
line called MEM16 must be pulled low by the adapter, indicating to the host
processor that a 16-bit transfer is desired. The host has to do some fancy
footwork to determine whether it should output two 8-bit bytes on data
lines 0-7 or one 16-bit word on data lines 0-15. In order to have enough
time, the AT bus requires that the MEM16 line be asserted shortly after the
address lines settle. The address lines are used by the adaptor to
determine whether it should respond at all to the bus address. Thus, it has
to be decoded by the adaptor.
  Consider the following example. The VGA display memory resides at address
A0000-B000 hex in the PC memory address space. The host wants to read a
word from the VGA at address A1000. It exerts the address A1000 on the bus
and waits for a bit. During this time, all devices on the memory bus have
to look at the address, A1000, to determine if they should respond. In this
case, the VGA address decoder would detect that A1000 resides between A000
and AFFFF and so gears itself up. It still does not know if the host wants
to read or write. SInce this VGA is a 16-bit device, it wants to exert
MEM16 to alert the host to this fact. As soon as it decoes the A0000 hex,
it sends out the low signal on the MEM16 line. The host in turn identifies
the MEM16line and sends the memory read pulse. Then it waits for a bit
before it reads the 16-bit data on the data bus bits 0-15. During this
second wait, this VGA has to use the read pule to enable the output of its
memory (previously addressed at A1000) and send the 16-bit signal onto the
data bus bits 0-15.
  The problem is that decoding the address takes time for the VGA, and it
has to send out the MEM16 line quickly. The address cannot be decoded until
the address lines settle. On the PC, there are two sets of address lines on
the PC being latched and unlatched. The unlatched lines settle before MEM16
has to be asserted, while the latched lines settle after MEM16 has to be
asserted. We can rule out using the latched address lines. The problem is
that no complete set of unlatched address lines are available, the lowest
being address bit 17. As a result, the address decoding circuitry cannot
detect memory locations that are smaller than 128Kbytes. Therefore, the VGA
can only detect that a memory access is required somewhere between A0000
and BFFFF before it can decide whether to respond with a MEM16 signal.
Unfortunately, in dual monitor systems, a Hercules card may well be
residing at B0000 with unpredictable results. I have yet to see a 16-bit
Hercules implementation.
  The MEM16 line is another reason why 16-bit VGAs will operate in an 8-bit
mode, while in AT systems with bus speeds greater than 8MHz, they will not
operate in a 16-bit mode. The increased speed of the bus and the subsequent
decreased time for the MEM16 line to be asserted exceeds the decoding rate
of the VGA.

End of quote.

  In reality, some VGA cards will run 16-bit at >8MHz bus speeds. It
depends on how well they are designed.
---------------
Andrew Rossmann               | Sysop of Infoplus BBS, +1 708 537 0247
 andyross@infopls.chi.il.us   | Infoplus Support, latest version available
 uunet!ddsw1!infopls!andyross | by logging in as infoplus.

bmarsh@cod.NOSC.MIL (William C. Marsh) (02/21/91)

In article <5621@bwdls58.UUCP> mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) writes:
>In article <2819@cod.NOSC.MIL> bmarsh@cod.nosc.mil.UUCP (William C. Marsh) writes:
><Sorry, the EGA/VGA interface is only 8 bits wide, so even if your VGA
><connects to the '16 bit' connector, the board itself can only do 8 bits
><at a time.  If you look at the memory architecture on the board, you will
><also notice that it is (256, 512, ot 1024) x 8 bits.  All the cards 'fake'
><16 bit accesses in graphics mode.

>Utter rubbish!  The paradise vga card I have has memory that is 16 bits wide,
>and it does indeed use 16-bit writes to update it (in text mode at the least).

That doesn't mean the VGA actually has 16 bit wide data paths to/from display
memory.  Read *any* EGA/VGA reference and you can see that the internal data
path is 8 bits.

><And anyway, all memory accesses to video memory is sync'd to H or V retrace
><time, so 16 vr. 8 bits really don't amount to much.  (Even in the VRAM
><adapters too!  What a waste!)

>I don't know that much about the VRAM things, but the whole idea of using
>dual-ported VRAMs is to overcome the need to wait for retrace cycles before
>writing, so this statement is probably as accurate as the first paragraph was.

A 10 Mhz, No Wait 286 can move approxamatly 2 Mbyte/sec with memory move
instructions, and yet, the 'fastest' VGA card claims to have about
11K chars/sec.  These tests do not use the BIOS interface, but go directly to
the memory buffer.  How can you explain two orders of magnitude?

The basic fact is that the video boards on the PC are *not* a true multi-port
ram, just a simple arbitrator, with the retrace getting the highest priority.
(I think I remember reading in my VRAM Tech Ref. that you get one cycle out
of five during active display times).

Bill
--

phil@cs.mcgill.ca (Philip LOCONG) (02/21/91)

> [endless discussion about 8 vs 16 internal data path and poor
>  performance caused by retrace and uselessness (! english is NOT my first
>  language...) of VRAM etc...]

This is all very interesting but I see many "all" and "no VGA card
has...". I think the "all 8-bit" argument might have been true in the
past but now, many cards are now explicitly advertised as having 16-bit
(even 32!) internal data paths, some even claim to have a video memory
cache (check a logix-2000L add). I think recent VGA cards might be very
decent.

Philippe Locong
phil@bart.cs.McGill.CA

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (02/21/91)

In article <8345@davidsys.com> douglass@davidsys.com writes:
|Excuse me, but you're *WRONG*.
|I've already run a test that indicates otherwise.
|I know of projects where this 'limitation' was 'overcome'.
|The 'problem' lies in the timing of the address lines coming from the
|16-bit slot.
|To put it simply, if the card responds quickly enough, there is NO PROBLEM.
|(If the motherboard and/or card is not designed well enough, the card can
|never respond 'quickly enough'.)

That's the whole point. Some motherboards are implemented in such a way that
the 128 Kbyte limit exists. If you want to talk about selected systems,
sure, you can get around it. But in general, it is not safe to mix
8 and 16-bit devices within a block of 128 Kbytes.

|Now, with all of that out of the way, we all realize that the Video ROM
|for the [EV]GA (at C000) is 8-bit.  Right?
|By your argument, that would mean that all of C000-DFFF must be 8-bit?
|Including your 16-bit ExPANded memory board (EMS)?
|Including your 16-bit (memory_mapped) Network board (WD, 3COM, etc)?
|Including your 16-bit nifty fast (memory_mapped) SCSI board?
|Including your 16-bit (memory_mapped) tape backup board?

Indeed, it must be. And I find that the EMS boards I look at have an
option to put them into an 8-bit mode. Other products may have this
controlled by their BIOS. My network board is 8-bit also.

|Try doing benchmarks, people.  It's really not that diffucult.

Try looking at some motherboard chip specs. It's much more useful
than taking a small sample and assuming it applies to all machines.

--

It is time for California farmers to share in the water
shortages that the cities have endured for 5 years.

fatooley@cc.usu.edu (Edgar Tooley) (06/25/91)

I have a 386 compatable with a vga card that I would like to attach to a large
monitor in a class room setting.  The monitor is a 20" monocrome which requires
a composite input from the computer.  My question is, what options are
availiable to do this I would like to have the same display on both monitors
with one showing VGA color and the other monocrome.

Thanks
Edgar Tooley
Utah State University
Life Span Learning