[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Non-standard text modes on VGA and SVGA?

yanek@panix.uucp (Yanek Martinson) (06/19/91)

How do I set and program the non-standard text modes on VGA and SVGA?
What modes are available? I have seen 132x43, 132x25, 80x50 and other strange
modes used by some programs. Is the memory layout same? Can I set any number
of rows/columns as long as I have eough video memory, or are there only certain
modes that I can set? Does that depend on bios/video card used?

hartung@crl.ucsd.edu (Jeff Hartung) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun19.014827.9855@panix.uucp> yanek@panix.uucp (Yanek Martinson) writes:
>How do I set and program the non-standard text modes on VGA and SVGA?
>What modes are available? I have seen 132x43, 132x25, 80x50 and other strange
>modes used by some programs. Is the memory layout same? Can I set any number
>of rows/columns as long as I have eough video memory, or are there only certain
>modes that I can set? Does that depend on bios/video card used?

The majority of these text modes are set in defferent ways depending on the
chipset your VGA card has.  For example, with my card (which has the Paradise
chipset), I use the following settings for an INT 10H BIOS call:

	 mode 		AX register value

	132x43		      0054 (hex)

	132x25		      0055 (hex)

On the other hand, 80x43 and 80x50 modes can usually be set by escape codes if
you have an ANSI.SYS-type driver that supports these modes (e.g., nansi.sys,
nnansi.sys, vansi.sys).  See the doc for that driver for details.  If you have
MSDOS 5.0, it's even easier.  All you do is type MODE CON: 80 50. :-)

--
 --Jeff Hartung--
 Disclaimer: My opinions only, etc., etc., BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!...