[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Mouse and Monitor Problems on 386

cfoster@eagle.wesleyan.edu (06/26/91)

Could comeone help me with some problems I'm having with my new Compuadd 386?
One program in particular, Links (the golf game), is having problems with the
Logitech Series 7 (I think that's the right humber) Bus Mouse.  The program
occasionally automates the mouse pointer, moving it to a particular area of the
screen; when this happens, the pointer instead jumps all over one area of the
screen (not the right area, either), eventually keeping me from activating the
on-screen button to continue the game, after the first drive.

Is this a software problem?  (I installed from copies of the masters, as the
masters are at home in another state, along with the Links manuals)  Or is it
hardware that's to blame; perhaps because it's a bus mouse?  When I got the
computer, I installed a butt-load of expansion cards; Ad-Lib, joystick, mouse,
on top of the modem and video card.  Help!

Also, after about 15 minutes to a half-hour of use, my monitor starts to show
signs of some malfunction.  The whole screen ripples horizontally, slightly,
not enough to make it unreadable, but slightly distort it.  The ripples vibrate
from right to left very quickly, but never more than a pizel or two.  Moving
the mouse back and forth seems to exacerbate the problem, and use of the
high-capacity 5-1/4" drive shakes the information all over like the screen's
been electrocuted.

Double help!!

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Christopher J. Foster cfoster@eagle.wesleyan.edu or cfoster@wesleyan.bitnet

mig@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.121312.53408@eagle.wesleyan.edu> cfoster@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>Could comeone help me with some problems I'm having with my new Compuadd 386?
>One program in particular, Links (the golf game), is having problems with the
>Logitech Series 7 (I think that's the right humber) Bus Mouse.  The program
>occasionally automates the mouse pointer, moving it to a particular area of the
>screen; when this happens, the pointer instead jumps all over one area of the
>screen (not the right area, either), eventually keeping me from activating the
>on-screen button to continue the game, after the first drive.

I have had exactly the same problem with my Packard Bell AXCEL V 286/12 and
Windows 3.0.  The problem only occurs when I have nothing in Extended memory.
So I am forced to put a disk cache into extended memory, and, since I only
have 1 meg, this forces me to run Windows in real mode.

Any help with this is GREATLY appreciated!

 * * * * * * ====================== (Internet) mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
* * * * * *  ====================== meir@msb.com  mig@asteroids.cs.columbia.edu
 * * * * * * ====================== (Amateur Radio) N2JPG