[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Diamond Speedstar and HiColor modes

gurganus@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (James P Gurganus) (06/13/91)

Well, my Diamond Speedstar Plus just came in.  About half of the manual
is devoted to that Edsun CEG stuff that supports 32,767 colors or something.

How do I know if my card will support that mode?  And if it doesn't, does
anyone know if you can buy an upgrade for the card from Diamond???  The
manual I got just talks about the drivers and nothing else...

I'm using the 1024X768 in 256 colors with Windows 3, and its incredible!!
But I think 800X600 in 32K colors would be nice.  :)

Thanks for any help!!

James Gurganus
(gurganus@ecn.purdue.edu)

scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) (06/14/91)

In article <gurganus.676822952@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> gurganus@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (James P Gurganus) writes:
>Well, my Diamond Speedstar Plus just came in.  About half of the manual
>is devoted to that Edsun CEG stuff that supports 32,767 colors or something.
>
>How do I know if my card will support that mode?  And if it doesn't, does
>anyone know if you can buy an upgrade for the card from Diamond???  The
>manual I got just talks about the drivers and nothing else...
>
>I'm using the 1024X768 in 256 colors with Windows 3, and its incredible!!
>But I think 800X600 in 32K colors would be nice.  :)

Now wait a minute..

I *thought* I understood that there were 2 versions of the new SpeedStar.
One with the Sierra HiColor DAC, and the other with the Edsun CEG DAC.
The HiColor gives you 32768 true colors; the Edsun gives you, like,
700,000+ "fake" colors.  The HiColor is easier to program for; the
Edsun does edge smoothing using some tricky embedded image codes.

So, which is it that you have?

In any event, you won't be able to magically use those new modes without
some fancy new software, I would guess.  Assuming you got the HiColor
version, did it come with a 15plane Windows 3.0 driver?  Also, I didn't
think that either chip provided their special features at resolutions
beyond standard 640x480 VGA (maybe even less?).  So, 800x600 by 32k colors
is not possible (someone correct me...)   ?

Did it come with any demo software or pictures you can report on?

-scott

jones@acsu.buffalo.edu (terry a jones) (06/15/91)

In article <1214@applix.com> scotte@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:
>In article <gurganus.676822952@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> gurganus@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (James P Gurganus) writes:
[Some of which was deleted]
>I *thought* I understood that there were 2 versions of the new SpeedStar.
>One with the Sierra HiColor DAC, and the other with the Edsun CEG DAC.
>The HiColor gives you 32768 true colors; the Edsun gives you, like,
>700,000+ "fake" colors.  The HiColor is easier to program for; the
>Edsun does edge smoothing using some tricky embedded image codes.

	And I thought that the Edsun CEG DAC did all it's edge detection
and color diddling transparently.  As in, the DAC performed the enhancement
with the same driver or register level interface that a non CEG DAC would
have.  Can anyone comment on exactly how the Sierra and Edsun devices
function?  I'd be interested in getting more information on either of these
two, e-mail if you think it is not of general interest.

	A good what if question would be:  If the Edsun device really does
transparent color interpolation, are there any pathological cases where an
image would fail to be processed correctly (enhanced) by the device??

		Terry

Terry Jones   				{rutgers,uunet}!acsu.buffalo.edu!jones
SUNY at Buffalo ECE Dept.	  or: rutgers!ub!jones, jones@acsu.buffalo.edu

lockrey@bclcl1.im.battelle.org (06/26/91)

In article <gurganus.676822952@stable.ecn.purdue.edu>,
gurganus@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (James P Gurganus) writes:
> Well, my Diamond Speedstar Plus just came in.  About half of the manual
> is devoted to that Edsun CEG stuff that supports 32,767 colors or something.

What is the difference between the diamond "Speedstar" and "Speedstar+".

Is the "+" needed to get 32,767 colors?

Brian Lockrey
lockrey@bclcl1.im.battelle.org