[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Two Different Controllers in an AT? Is kosher?

hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil (Michael Hart) (06/24/91)

Hi all!
I went through as many recent articles as I could on this subject, but no
luck.

This might be a very simple question.  Or not.

I have an AT clone with (I think) and MFM hard/floppy controller, and a 40MB
seagate ST251-1.  I need another HD.  Are there any known problems with
adding a second drive and controller, such as IDE, or a Scsi drive and
controller?

thanx

|   Michael G. Hart             Internet: hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil |
| (no new .sig today)                AOL: MikelHart                  |

lockrey@bclcl1.im.battelle.org (06/26/91)

In article <telnet.677775288@blackjack>, hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil
(Michael Hart) writes:

> I have an AT clone with (I think) and MFM hard/floppy controller, and a 40MB
> seagate ST251-1.  I need another HD.  Are there any known problems with
> adding a second drive and controller, such as IDE, or a Scsi drive and
> controller?

I have run both MFM & SCSI controllers in a couple of AT class machines,
including an IBM Model 30/286 with internal disk and add-on SCSI, and
they work just fine -- just be sure to place the SCSI at an unused IRQ
and be sure to back up your existing disk before you add the second HD
controller. I learned the hard way :-)

I have NEVER gotten two MFM controllers to work at the same time,
even though I hear that it should work.  The safe and easy way is to
just add a SCSI drive if you can.

If you currently have MFM and only one drive, you should be able to simply
add a second MFM drive to your current controller. All it takes is the
extra cable for the second drive, plus you save a bus slot.

Hope this help,
Brian Lockrey

lockrey@bclcl1.im.battelle.org