[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] CD-ROM?

quairoli@cs.widener.edu (Patrick Quairoli) (06/26/91)

	could anyone give me some pro's and con's about CD-ROMS?
	excluding the fact that they are generaly slow; do you feel
	that the investment is worth it?  if anyone uses a CD-ROMS
	i would really like to hear your views on them.

	e-mail replies preferred

quairoli@cs.widener.edu		|"If you ask me how do I feel inside;
widener!quairoli		| I could honestly tell you.
patrick j. quairoli		| We've been taken on a very long ride"

acp@apatel.mitre.org (Anup C. Patel) (06/27/91)

In article <Y30=-3C@cs.widener.edu>, quairoli@cs.widener.edu (Patrick Quairoli) writes:

> 	could anyone give me some pro's and con's about CD-ROMS?
> 	excluding the fact that they are generaly slow; do you feel
> 	that the investment is worth it?  if anyone uses a CD-ROMS
> 	i would really like to hear your views on them.
>
> 	e-mail replies preferred
>

> --
> quairoli@cs.widener.edu		|"If you ask me how do I feel inside;
> widener!quairoli		| I could honestly tell you.
> patrick j. quairoli		| We've been taken on a very long ride"

I have a Hitachi TCDR-6000 CD-ROM drive.  This is not one of the faster
drives, but suites our purposes.  We subscribe to Computer Library, a CD
containing well over 65,000 articles from computer magazines.  Range
of magazines cover from IEEE magazines to Seybold reports to PCWEEK, MacWeek.

In terms of performing searches and lookups, the CD-ROM does not SEEM to be
that slow.  If you can afford the drive and CD's, I think they are a great
deal.

I think NEC CD drives are faster than most.

Anup Patel
The MITRE Corp.

acp@apatel.mitre.org
patel@mwunix.mitre.org