[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] need jumper settings on TEAC floppy drive

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (06/26/91)

Hello

I got my hands on a pair of used TEAC 360K 5 1/4" floppy
drives, and I can't get them to work in an original IBM
PC (5 slots).

The machine boots OK (I've left the original IBM drive in
as drive A), but any kind of attempted access on drive B
(eg: DIR B:) results in a ERROR READING DRIVE B SECTOR NOT
FOUND message. The machine works fine with a Mitsubishi
drive pulled from a Leading Edge (don't own the drive though
*sigh*) so the controller is OK

Well, I suspect a jumper is set wrong. The drive has the
model number FD-55GFV-07-U. No terminator installed. Jum-
pers set are:

DS1		(I tried moving it to DS) and DS2 and all
                 kinds of weird things started to happen)
HG		(I've tried switching these two and it
SB II		 didn't work)
RY		(I tried moving it to DC - no difference)
FG

Jumpers not set are:

DS0
DS2
DS3

SB I		(These are in the same block as SB II and HG)
LG

ML
RE
DC

U1
U2
HL
IU

Also, did you know track zero is on the OUTSIDE of the diskette,
while track 39 is on the inside? Sure surprised me...

Well, if anyone has one of these lying around and can have a
quick look at the jumpers, please mail me. Any help greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

skipm@dorsai.com (Dorsai SysOp) (06/27/91)

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:

> I got my hands on a pair of used TEAC 360K 5 1/4" floppy
> drives, and I can't get them to work in an original IBM
> PC (5 slots).
>
> The machine boots OK (I've left the original IBM drive in
> as drive A), but any kind of attempted access on drive B
> (eg: DIR B:) results in a ERROR READING DRIVE B SECTOR NOT
> FOUND message. The machine works fine with a Mitsubishi
> drive pulled from a Leading Edge (don't own the drive though
> *sigh*) so the controller is OK

Try placing the FDD Controller in the first slot...

Skip

** SkipM@DORSAI.com   -  The Dorsai Embassy / Dorsai Diplomatic Mission **
** (Systems Manager)  -  Consulate : (212) 431-1944                     **
** "The difference between a good man, and a bad man, is the choice of  **
**  cause." - Unknown                                                   **

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (06/27/91)

>Well, I suspect a jumper is set wrong. The drive has the
>model number FD-55GFV-07-U. No terminator installed. Jum-
>pers set are:

Well, turned out the drives were high density. Thanks, Ken.

The people who sold it to me were as surprised as I was. The
drives were pulled from a machine. I should have been sus-
picious as the heads looked like they were double.