[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] hard drives

jearly@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (John Early) (08/20/90)

A few days ago I posted a list of some hard drive prices (mostly 335 meg
ESDI drives ranging from $800-$1100) but didn't include the name of the
company selling them.  Since then many people have writen asking for the
name, and I have sent it to them.  However, over 20 messages have bounced
back to me, and I'm going away for a weeks vacation, so here is the name
of the company:
Corporate Systems Center
730 North Pastoria Ave.
Sunnyvale, CA 94086
(408) 737-7312  fax (408) 737-1017
Sorry for any confusion.
John.

John Early                             |
jearly@lehi3b15.csee.lehigh.edu        |  I was just a child then;
JPE1@Lehigh.Bitnet                     |  now I'm only a man.  [pf]
LUJPE@VAX1.cc.lehigh.edu               |

jdwhite@iastate.edu (White Jason David) (12/13/90)

Is is possible to have two different hard drive controllers on one machine.
I.E. a RLL controller and an IDE controller, each with a hard drive?

--

J. White                                             |} jdwhite@iastate.edu
"Ah, I see you have the machine that goes PING!"     |  hzl09@isuvax.BITNET

In article <1990Dec13.012237.22378@news.iastate.edu> jdwhite@iastate.edu (White Jason David) writes:
| Is is possible to have two different hard drive controllers on one machine.
| I.E. a RLL controller and an IDE controller, each with a hard drive?

  You can have a mix of MFM, RLL, and ESDI with UNIX. With DOS you can
mix if the BIOS can be readdressed and the controller supports being put
at a secondary address. I don't know what magic you need to make the o/s
use the 2nd controller in DOS, in theory it should create the device
control blocks during init.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

kaplin@acsu.buffalo.edu (leo kaplin) (06/27/91)

Can somebody tell me what does the RLL and MFM stand for when talking
about hard drives.

thanx, Leo

Leo Kaplin, State University of New York at Buffalo, Dept. of Computer Science
INTERNET:kaplin@cs.buffalo.edu      BITNET: kaplin%cs.buffalo.edu@ubvm.bitnet
             UUCP: ...!{rutgers,uunet}!cs.buffalo.edu!kaplin

gerardka@hobbes.ism.isc.com (Gerard Kam) (06/27/91)

In article <81360@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> kaplin@acsu.buffalo.edu (leo kaplin) writes:
>Can somebody tell me what does the RLL and MFM stand for when talking
>about hard drives.
>
>thanx, Leo

	MFM: Modified Frequency Modulation
		a method of storing digital data as a bit stream
		on an analog medium (in disk drives, this is usually
		 a ferric oxide).

	RLL: Run Length Limited
		a digital encoding which increases the length of the
		data, but allows much higher effective bit density.
		Typically used with MFM recording.
		The higher bit density is achieved because the
		recording density is set to cope with worst case
		flux reversals.  By encoding the data to new bit
		patterns that do not generate as many flux reversals,
		the new "worst case" is predictable, and allows
		a higher flux density.
		The encode on write and decode on read is done
		by the disk controller.  The drive must be capable
		of the slightly higher transfer rates.

	Disks with embedded controllers such as SCSI and IDE
	usually are MFM with RLL.  But since they have a digital
	interface, the Host computer does not have to be concerned
	with such details.

	"Bare" drives such as ST506/412 or ESDI require a
	controller of a matching type so that the serial data to/from
	the drive is interpreted properly to data bytes (records).

	Gerard