[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] ST1144A

wlsmith@valve.heart.rri.uwo.ca (Wayne Smith) (05/28/91)

Well, either my original posting didn't get through, or there are no
IDE experts out there...

My original problem was that my ST1144A (125Mb IDE drive) wasn't recognized
by my system.  Now, when I entered the drive parameters into the CMOS config,
I can use the drive...BUT
The factory test paper that came with the drive says (among other things)

Sectors/Track 44 36 30

So which one is it?  Or is it laid out so there are more sectors on the
outside, and less on the inside radius (ie 3 zones) ?

I entered 30 Sec/Track in the config table, and get 109Mb formatted capacity.
No, Disk Manager software didn't come with the drive (shame on California
Microchip).  So, do IDE drives come with a driver of some sort?
How come there's no controller bios on IDE interfaces?  This makes IDE
not as flexible as, say, SCSI, where you can throw in a cheap $35 controller
card (that has its own bios!!!) and it can reside painlessly with other MFM
or RLL drives.  Any comments out there?...

ccfac@levels.sait.edu.au (06/25/91)

I have a ST1144A IDE hard drive installed on my system.  Reading through News
some reported that they are 125M drives, others 130M.  I have formated my
drive to 119M

How do I get it to 130 or 125M?  What are the CMOS parameters to use.  I like
to get extra 10M or 5M on my drive.

Thanks

Francis

CCFAC@nt.City.UniSA.edu.au

University of South Australia

mosbrook@beach.csulb.edu (Brent Mosbrook) (06/26/91)

there are two sets of translate parameters commonly being used.

1024x14x17 will give you 125 megs
1001x15x17 will give you 130 megs

|  Brent Mosbrook    KC6MWK            |
|         mosbrook@beach.csulb.edu     |

dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Darmawan Ludirdja) (06/26/91)

ccfac@levels.sait.edu.au writes:

>I have a ST1144A IDE hard drive installed on my system.  Reading through News
>some reported that they are 125M drives, others 130M.  I have formated my
>drive to 119M

>How do I get it to 130 or 125M?  What are the CMOS parameters to use.  I like
>to get extra 10M or 5M on my drive.

>Thanks

>Francis

125Meg if your calculation based on 1024K/meg or
130Meg if your calculation based on 1000K/meg.

if you have a user defined parameter (i.e. AMI type 47)
use:
    cyl    heads    sectors/track     formated bytes
   1001      15         17                   130.7   (based on 1M=1000000bytes).
   1024      14          17                  124.7   (based on 1M=1000000bytes).

Information is taken from SEAGATE manual.

Darmawan
dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

skipm@dorsai.com (Dorsai SysOp) (06/27/91)

ccfac@levels.sait.edu.au writes:

> I have a ST1144A IDE hard drive installed on my system.  Reading through News
> some reported that they are 125M drives, others 130M.  I have formated my
> drive to 119M
>
> How do I get it to 130 or 125M?  What are the CMOS parameters to use.  I like
> to get extra 10M or 5M on my drive.

Francis :
          Your discrepancy in size is probably due to the formatted and
unformatted capacity of the drive. Realize that MS-DOS is not the only
operating system out there, while IBM machines can run any one of a
number of operating systems. A Novell File Server will format the
drive to a different data capacity, so will some variant of UNIX.

You probably have formatted the drive out to the correct size for your
operating system. If not, check to see how many partitions you have
on the drive, if they all really exist, and if your system is seeing
all of them, not just one...

Skip

** SkipM@DORSAI.com   -  The Dorsai Embassy / Dorsai Diplomatic Mission **
** (Systems Manager)  -  Consulate : (212) 431-1944                     **
** "The difference between a good man, and a bad man, is the choice of  **
**  cause." - Unknown                                                   **

shutton@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Scott K. Hutton) (06/27/91)

I formatted   mine  to  125  Meg by  setting  it up  in   my AMI  BIOS
configuration as 1001  cyls, 17 sec/tk, 15 heads,  with both WPCom and
LZone at  1002.  AMI reports  a  125 Meg  drive,  SI reports  127, and
Seagates says I'll receive 130 Meg with this configuration.  I receive
about 130,000,000 bytes free with this config..

	       Scott K. Hutton      | The opinions I express are
               UCS Support Services | not necessarily those of
               Indiana University   | Indiana University