[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Summary: 2nd Joystick

roger@larry.ruhr.de (Roger Schwentker) (06/28/91)

ok, here is ah short summary, how to connect a second joystick
to a pc, just for less than dm 15,- , just for playing some games
not alone.

bich@hpsciz.sc.hp.com (Bich Tran) wrote:
>Second I/O game port: 200h
>First                 201h
that's partly correct, for the data of port 0x200 is equal to the
data of port 0x201, looks like not-complete address-decoding.

dgil@pa.reuter.com  (Dave Gillett) wrote:
>It's the same port:  four bits for joystick 1, and four for joystick 2.
ok, that's absolutely correct. You can find both joystick-ports on one
connector. Every joystick uses two analogue signals and two digital
ones.

The simples thing is to build a Y-like cable, connecting these pins

IO-Card (15pin male)         Joy1 (15pin female)      Joy2 (15pin female)
    1  5 V                           -                    1,8,9,15
    2  D1                            2                       -
    3  A1                            3                       -
    4  0 V                         4,5,12                    -
    5  0 V                           -                     4,5,12
    6  A2                            6                       -
    7  D2                            7                       -
    8  5 V                        1,8,9,15                   -
    9  5 V                           -                       -
   10  D3                            -                       2
   11  A3                            -                       3
   12  0 V                           -                       -
   13  A4                            -                       6
   14  D4                            -                       7
   15  5 V                           -                       -

D1 means digital input 1, coming from a button,
A1 means analogue input 1, coming from the variable resistor.

I have never seen such a cable in germany, but I think, it is easy to
build for less than dm 15,-

hope this posting will help someone
     Roger Schwentker,
     roger@larry.ruhr.de

 What do you see, when you turn out the light,
 i can't tell you, but I know it's mine.
 (Beatles, "a little help from my friends", 1967)