[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Wanted: Information on external 9600 Baud Modems

santol@cbnewsc.cb.att.com (shawn.r.antol) (06/26/91)

Greetings Netlanders,

   Can anybody provide me with information about external 9600 baud modems.
Basically I want to know what brands are the best, and what is a
good price for one.  Also, any kind of information regarding particular
brands that have had problems would be useful so I don't buy a bad one!
   Has there been any kind of standardization that allows modems of
different manufacturers to talk to each other?
   Please post, or send email to santol@ihlpb.att.com.

Thanks,

Shawn Antol
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Naperville, Il.
santol@ihlpb.att.com

grund@pyrite.som.cwru.edu (Victor Grund) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun26.152054.1815@cbnewsc.cb.att.com>, santol@cbnewsc (shawn.r.antol) writes:
>Greetings Netlanders,
>
>   Can anybody provide me with information about external 9600 baud modems.
>Basically I want to know what brands are the best, and what is a
>good price for one.  Also, any kind of information regarding particular
>brands that have had problems would be useful so I don't buy a bad one!

Practical Peripherals has a V.32/V.42/V.42bis/MNP(2-5) external (the
9600SA) you should look at.  List price is $699, street price around
$465.  See the June Computer Shopper for a review. If you need V.32bis
as well, look at the US Robotics Courier V.32, list price unknown,
street price about $100-150 more than the 9600SA.  I consider the
extra speed possibilities of V.32bis to be worth a little more money.
If you must have HST for BBSing, get the USR Dual Standard.  Be
warned, however, that even USR admits HST is on the way out in lieu of
CCITT standards (I talked to them on the phone).  It is not worth an
extra $300-400 to get HST, in my opinion.  Your mileage may vary
depending on your needs.

There are many other manufactures besides the ones mentioned here
(Telebit, Microcom, IBM, etc...).

There are some very cheap alternatives to the Practical Peripherals
coming out in internal versions, if you can live without an external
(I can't), and don't need V.32bis.

>   Has there been any kind of standardization that allows modems of
>different manufacturers to talk to each other?

If you are in it for the long haul, go with CCITT standards:
V.32/V.32bis/V.42/V.42bis

Reference "comp.dcom.modems lexicon" from emcmanus@cs.tcd.ie (Eamonn
McManus) in comp.dcom.modems to learn more about communication
terminology.

Hope this helps,
Victor Grund
--
Victor D. Grund 		| grund@pyrite.som.cwru.edu [129.22.48.4]
IBM Cleveland                   | uunet!cwjcc!pyrite!grund