[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Hard drive repair...For do-it-yourselfers.

danek@gdc.portal.com (06/25/91)

I've  been reading many help requests about crashed hard drives over the
last few weeks and wish to share an experience that may (or may not) help
some desperate data seekers.

I have a clone AT with an ST-225 drive. Upon exiting from a long edit session
my hard drive "hung" (the drive light was on with the disk spinning endlessly).
Needless to say, I forcefully reminded myself about frequent backup's and
periodically saving one's work as I re-booted the computer. Much to my suprise
the drive did not boot! The drive just made a klunking noise about every 10
seconds. Booting off a floppy and accessing the drive didn't help either.
I frantically tried all the utilites I could get my hands on to access the
drive. Nothing worked.

After about a week of calling drive repair places, I decided upon a local
house. Being the destructive type, I decided to do what everyone says NOT to
even think about...open the drive. I figured I at worst, I could see what makes
the drives tick. After removing the screws, cover and seal, I found the platter
and the head staring me in the face. I moved the head back and forth a few
times to watch the movement, then put the drive back together.

I decided to power the unit up as a last good-by and...you guessed it... the
dirve booted!!! Not only that, but all the data that wasn't on track 0 (wiped
out when I tried a low level format) was recovered (and backed up)...That was
about 6 months ago and the drive has been working fine ever since. All my
disk tests say the drive is just fine....until the next crash!!!

Remember...this is just a personal experience...never try this at home...unless
you have nothin to lose!!

Good luck.

Bob

zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Ross Alford) (06/26/91)

In <16731@gdc.portal.com> danek@gdc.portal.com writes:

>I've  been reading many help requests about crashed hard drives over the
>last few weeks and wish to share an experience that may (or may not) help
>some desperate data seekers.
>After about a week of calling drive repair places, I decided upon a local
>house. Being the destructive type, I decided to do what everyone says NOT to
>even think about...open the drive. I figured I at worst, I could see what makes
>the drives tick. After removing the screws, cover and seal, I found the platter
>and the head staring me in the face. I moved the head back and forth a few
>times to watch the movement, then put the drive back together.

>I decided to power the unit up as a last good-by and...you guessed it... the
>dirve booted!!! Not only that, but all the data that wasn't on track 0 (wiped
>out when I tried a low level format) was recovered (and backed up)...That was
>about 6 months ago and the drive has been working fine ever since. All my
>disk tests say the drive is just fine....until the next crash!!!

>Remember...this is just a personal experience...never try this at home...unless
>you have nothin to lose!!

I have a ST225, bought in September 1986.  In about March 1989 I opened
up the computer for some reason and discovered that, and I am not joking
here, some small ants had eaten through the filter on the top of the
case and were wandering in and out.  I immediately secured a new layer
of filter paper over the top of the little thingy that has the filter in
it.  The drive is still working.  I don't know where the ants were going
after they disappeared into the casing, but I assume they were at least
slightly violating the "clean-room" integrity of the drive.  Perhaps
they always got flung off the platters before the heads extended at
startup?  Just goes to show that you can *sometimes* get lucky.

Ross
--
Ross A. Alford
Department of Zoology                      Internet: zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au

feg@floyd.ATT.COM (Forrest Gehrke,2C-119,7239,ATTBL) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun26.061359.28370@marlin.jcu.edu.au> zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Ross Alford) writes:

>I have a ST225, bought in September 1986.  In about March 1989 I opened
>up the computer for some reason and discovered that, and I am not joking
>here, some small ants had eaten through the filter on the top of the
>case and were wandering in and out.  I immediately secured a new layer
>of filter paper over the top of the little thingy that has the filter in
>it.  The drive is still working.  I don't know where the ants were going
>after they disappeared into the casing, but I assume they were at least
>slightly violating the "clean-room" integrity of the drive.  Perhaps
>they always got flung off the platters before the heads extended at
>startup?  Just goes to show that you can *sometimes* get lucky.

>Ross A. Alford
>Department of Zoology                      Internet: zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au
>James Cook University                      Phone:    +61 77 81 4732
>Townsville, Qld 4811 Australia

Your report, coming from the Department of Zoology, at least has
a credible address.  Your field wouldn't be entomology, would it? (;-))

Forrest Gehrke feg@dodger.att.com

jorgense@irisa.fr (Finn Jorgensen) (06/27/91)

One more horror story about repairing hard drives : An original IBM-AT drive
in our lab started making noises like ... (well, very loud and nasty noises).
It still worked, but finally refused to spin. Evidently, something inside
touched the platters. We telephoned IBM to ask for an exchange. At that time
the price was around $ 1600 for this 20 Mb drive. Another vendor sold similar
drives for $ 1000 - 1200, so we decided to scrap the old one and buy a new.
Before throwing it into the garbage can, curiosity pushed us to open it up,
just to understand what went wrong. In fact, the air filter, round and about
the size of a platter, was attached to the drive cover using some kind of
double-sided tape, and it got loose and dropped on the top platter. Both the
filter and the top platter were severly marked, but we noticed that there
was no head over the top surface, so we blew away the large quantities of
black dust that had accumulated inside the drive, using a compressor, fixed
the filter by drilling two holes through the cover and the filter and screwing
the wole thing together and put the cover back. To our surprise, everything
worked perfectly, not a single bit got lost, and the drive worked flawlessly
for over a year. It finally gave up, but for another reason (power surge).

I won't recommend using this technique, but as a last resort, why not ?

Finn Jorgensen

danek@gdc.portal.com (06/28/91)

> In article <1991Jun26.061359.28370@marlin.jcu.edu.au>,
>    zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Ross Alford) writes:
>>
>> I have a ST225, bought in September 1986.  In about March 1989 I opened
>> up the computer for some reason and discovered that, and I am not joking
>> here, some small ants had eaten through the filter on the top of the
>> case and were wandering in and out.  I immediately secured a new layer
>> of filter paper over the top of the little thingy that has the filter in
>> it.  The drive is still working.  I don't know where the ants were going
>> after they disappeared into the casing, but I assume they were at least
>> slightly violating the "clean-room" integrity of the drive.  Perhaps
>> they always got flung off the platters before the heads extended at
>> startup?  Just goes to show that you can *sometimes* get lucky.

(OOP's, sorry about the previous posting...I must be getting too old for this.)

 Posing a software-hardware engineer for about 8 years has given me the chance
 to create some very interesting problems in micro systems but I have only
 heard second hand of this very rare phenomenon which you describe...it seems
 that as the fine line dividing software and hardware becomes blurred as in the
 area around the head-to-surface interface on your hard drive, it is possible
 for, what are normally ordinary hardware bugs, to be magically transformed
 into obscure software bugs for no reasons known to modern day engineering.
 That is probably what has happened in your case. Hopefully the bugs have not
 infested any of your important programs.:)

 Bob

harbour@vf.jsc.nasa.gov (06/29/91)

In article <16731@gdc.portal.com>, danek@gdc.portal.com writes:

> I've  been reading many help requests about crashed hard drives over the
> last few weeks and wish to share an experience that may (or may not) help
> some desperate data seekers.
>
> (stuff deleted)
>
> After about a week of calling drive repair places, I decided upon a local
> house. Being the destructive type, I decided to do what everyone says NOT to
> even think about...open the drive. I figured I at worst, I could see what makes
> the drives tick. After removing the screws, cover and seal, I found the platter
> and the head staring me in the face. I moved the head back and forth a few
> times to watch the movement, then put the drive back together.
>
> I decided to power the unit up as a last good-by and...you guessed it... the
> dirve booted!!! Not only that, but all the data that wasn't on track 0 (wiped
> out when I tried a low level format) was recovered (and backed up)...That was
> about 6 months ago and the drive has been working fine ever since. All my
> disk tests say the drive is just fine....until the next crash!!!

My ST-125 (20MB 3.5") failed with the classic "stiction" problem and I, too,
decided to "open 'er up and take a look-see".  Sure enough, the heads were
sticking to the platter.  Is there something that can be applied to the
platters to free things up?

And from the idle curiosity standpoint: Why is the head sticking in the first
place?  Is there some kind of low friction coating (teflon maybe?) on the
platter that has failed?

> Remember...this is just a personal experience...never try this at home...unless
> you have nothin to lose!!

This is absolutely true!  My drive is now a paper weight because I rotated
the spindle backwards.  One of the heads stuck so hard that the support arm
buckled right next to the head.  I guess the arms are designed for tension,
not compression :-).

> Good luck.
>
> Bob

ditto.