[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 8inch floppy help needed

toerting@kentvax.mcs.kent.edu (Tim Oerting) (06/28/91)

I want to hook up an 8" drive to my '386 (no I don't need it..this is just
for the heck of it). My problem is this:
	I have a CMOS setup which only allows me to specify 3.5 or 5.25"
drives [unless I somehow set it up as a hard drive.. is this possible?
problems? I can use a non-standard setup for HDs on the CMOS and can set
the following: # cyl, # heads, write precomp cyl?, landing zone cyl, physical
sectors per track].  My other problem would be that I don't know how many
tracks, cylinders, sectors/track, etc.. are on the HD. Are there standards
for this? I believe the drive is 2S but don't know on density...any ways to
check this out easily?

	If I decide to try to hook it up as a 5 1/4 inch floppy then could I
just connect it using the standard 34 pin cable (anyone done this?).  Looking
at the pinout signals for the 34pin and 50pin (8inch), it seems like I could
make the connection except for the following which I am uncertain about:

     34 pin pin number    	50 pin connector pin number
-------------------------      -----------------------------
	16 Motor on -->to ?-->	22 Drive ready
	4 In use --->to------>  16 In use &(?) 8 Drive Busy
	8 Index  ------------>	20 Index & (?) 24 Sector
	                      /  2  Head Current Switch (?)
   I need to know what these <-	11  2 Sided
  do exactly and what their   \ 24  Sector
  active states are.

Thanks for your help,
Tim  ---> toerting@mcs.kent.edu

gerardka@hobbes.ism.isc.com (Gerard Kam) (06/29/91)

In article <1991Jun28.165413.8640@mcs.kent.edu> toerting@kentvax.mcs.kent.edu (Tim Oerting) writes:
>I want to hook up an 8" drive to my '386 (no I don't need it..this is just
>for the heck of it). My problem is this:
>	I have a CMOS setup which only allows me to specify 3.5 or 5.25"
>drives [unless I somehow set it up as a hard drive.. is this possible?
	<stuff deleted>

	The 8" floppy has to connected to a floppy controller, so
	you cannot set it up as a hard drive.
	Perhaps the easiest thing to do is to use a floppy controller
	that supports the 8" drive.
	Try a CompatiCard IV from MicroSolutions Computer Products,
	(815) 756-3411.  I've never used one, but seen it written up
	in EDN magazine.

	Gerard