[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Building a PC that can run OS/2

paulcn@idsvax.ids.com (Paul Coen) (06/28/91)

Has anyone out there done it?  How feasable is it?

I've heard & read that OS/2 is fussier about the hardware it runs on than
DOS (which is easy enough to believe).

Does anyone have motherboard, disk controller, video card, etc.
recommendations?  What types of motherboards will it work with (ie micro
channel, ISA/AT Bus, EISA)?

Is the hardware support/requirments very different between versions of
OS/2?

And finally :-), is any of this likely to change with OS/2 2.0 -- that's
what I'm thinking of moving to, once it's finally released.

Please, don't bother doing the "OS/2 is junk" flames, or "Just run Windows
3.0" (bleach, retch, gasp), or any other product that is essentially a hack
thrown up on top of MS-DOS.  I don't care how good the hack is, I want
protected memory, and I really don't want to run Unix.  That leaves
OS/2, unless I want to invest in a used VAX/VMS system.  Which I don't, at
the moment.  Thanks!
		 	-------------------
    Paul Coen -- pcoen@drunivac.drew.edu, paulcn@idsvax.ids.com
   Disclaimer: It must be my opinion, since I'm looking for a job.

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (06/28/91)

I've put together two machines: one 386sx, the other a 33mhz 386.
Both have AMI bios and use IDE drives. One machine runs OS/2 v 1.3,
the other OS/2 v2.0 SDK. I've had no problems with the hardware.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: feustel@netcom.com

I voted for Bush once.  As it's turning out, once was once too often.

pshuang@athena.mit.edu (Ping-Shun Huang) (06/29/91)

In article <9106280040.AA11922@ray.com> paulcn@idsvax.ids.com (Paul Coen) writes:

 > I've heard & read that OS/2 is fussier about the hardware it runs on than
 > DOS (which is easy enough to believe).

Recent versions of OS/2 I believe are becoming less hardware-sensitive
(IBM no longer believes that you *HAVE* to run it on a PS/2 {grin}).  At
this point, most motherboards are compatible, video cards and disk
controllers which are especially beefed up for speed are compatible, and
it makes no compatibility difference which expansion slot standard you
buy into.  OS/2 2.0 should be even more compatible with a wider variety
of hardware -- like non-IBM printers, for example.  Hardware
compatibility was a big problem in 1987, today it's less of a worry.

--
Above text where applicable is (c) Copyleft 1991, all rights deserved by:
UNIX:/etc/ping instantiated (Ping Huang) [INTERNET: pshuang@athena.mit.edu]