[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Trouble booting from HD

amemjm@vax.oxford.ac.uk (06/28/91)

Re: Not booting from HD

Hi,

I too had this problem: I have a 40M WD harddisk, and tried to reformat it to
5x8M partitions (don't ask why!) under DOS3.3. The format/sys went Ok, but
unbootable! Reformatting to 1x32, 1x8 worked fine. I have no idea why, but i
suspect that the underlying location or size of the partition table was altered
by the re-format. Yes, I did try a low-level format, to no avail. And after a
few minutes (yup minutes!) the whole disk became cross-linked in the 5x8
format. interestingly, the reformat to 1x32, 1x8 restored the data fully,
including the crosslinked files. Moral: if it works, don't mess!

The only thing I can suggest is formatting the primary DOS partition to be as
large as your DOS version allows, ie 32M in 3.3.

regards, Mark McI

hdrw@ibmpcug.co.uk (Howard Winter) (06/30/91)

In article <1991Jun28.114414.856@vax.oxford.ac.uk>
  amemjm@vax.oxford.ac.uk writes:

> I too had this problem: I have a 40M WD harddisk, and tried to reformat it to
> 5x8M partitions (don't ask why!) under DOS3.3. The format/sys went Ok, but
> unbootable! Reformatting to 1x32, 1x8 worked fine. I have no idea why, but i
> suspect that the underlying location or size of the partition table was altered
> by the re-format. Yes, I did try a low-level format, to no avail. And after a
> few minutes (yup minutes!) the whole disk became cross-linked in the 5x8
> format. interestingly, the reformat to 1x32, 1x8 restored the data fully,
> including the crosslinked files. Moral: if it works, don't mess!

I suspect DOS 3.3 only expects 4 partitions per physical drive.
I don't know this for certain, but System Sleuth shows
four entries in the partition table regardless of the
number of partitions in use.

I would like to know if this is actually the case, as I've
just received a new 200M drive and was going to partition it
in 32MB slices, which means seven.  Perhaps I ought to
upgrade to DOS 5 (only recently available here) and go
for larger partitions - any ideas, folks?

Thanks for anything,

Howard.

--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not