[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Need diagnostics disk for AMI BIOS for SIS-386 chip set

wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (06/29/91)

I got the 33 mhz/64   386 motherboard a couple of days ago.
In the case it came in, I hooked up a small disk drive
and a monochrome hercules card. When I ran it, an old version
of
Norton's gave about SI = 44. I moved the board to a larger case
with the same disk controller, and bigger drive, but a paradise
vga card driving a monochrome monitor.
Now Nortons gives me SI = 23. CHIPTEST from the "the last byte suite"
claims that the it's a (16.4 Mhz 386) now.
Without measuring clock frequencies by hand, how does one tell what's going on?
The AMI bios does not have a low level "twiddle the bit" set up program
like the one I have on my 386sx.
The chips are 85C310 ( two 8 bit registers) and 85C320 ( one 8 bit register).
iHowever, I don't know the port addresses, or what bytes in the CMOS ram hold these config. bytes.

Any ideas on how I converted my speedburner into a horse drawn
wagon?
Clarence Wilkerson
.

hdrw@ibmpcug.co.uk (Howard Winter) (06/30/91)

In article <14134@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu.UUCP (Clarence Wilkerson) writes:
> I got the 33 mhz/64   386 motherboard a couple of days ago.
> In the case it came in, I hooked up a small disk drive
> and a monochrome hercules card. When I ran it, an old version
> of
> Norton's gave about SI = 44. I moved the board to a larger case
> with the same disk controller, and bigger drive, but a paradise
> vga card driving a monochrome monitor.
> Now Nortons gives me SI = 23. CHIPTEST from the "the last byte suite"
> claims that the it's a (16.4 Mhz 386) now.

Did you connect the 'Turbo' switch connectors to something?

If they are shorted, they will slow the whole thing down
(throwback to the times when some software wanted to
run at a clock speed it was expecting,
especially when IBM ran ATs at 6MHz and clones ran at 10).

> Without measuring clock frequencies by hand, how does one tell what's going on?
> The AMI bios does not have a low level "twiddle the bit" set up program
> like the one I have on my 386sx.
> The chips are 85C310 ( two 8 bit registers) and 85C320 ( one 8 bit register).
> iHowever, I don't know the port addresses, or what bytes in the CMOS ram hold these config. bytes.

Well MY 386/33 + SIS chipset + AMI BIOS does have the facility
to set the registers bit-by-bit (well, most of them - some it
protects from the likes of us mortals).  I don't know the BIOS
version by heart, and I'm running it now, but I seem to remember
that it offers 'Press DEL to run CMOS/EXTENDED SETUP' or
words to that effect, and when you do it gives a 3-entry menu:

 Reboot
 CMOS Setup
 Extended CMOS Setup

and the third one does just what we're talking about.

> Clarence Wilkerson

Hope this helps - good luck.

Howard.

--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not