[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Gateway 2000 lowers prices again

andrew@frip.WV.TEK.COM (Andrew Klossner) (06/20/91)

Three months ago, a 486/33 system from Gateway 2000 cost $4395.
Last month it cost $3995.
This week they've dropped the price to $3395.
These people want to move some volume!

I had an order in the queue at $3995, and I had to call to get my price
adjusted downward -- it doesn't happen automatically.  They sent me to
the end of the four-week queue again, but at this price it's worth it.

  -=- Andrew Klossner  (andrew@frip.wv.tek.com)
                       (uunet!tektronix!frip.WV.TEK!andrew)

hpa@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (H. Peter Anvin) (06/20/91)

In article <11085@orca.wv.tek.com> of comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,
  andrew@frip.wv.tek.com writes:
> Three months ago, a 486/33 system from Gateway 2000 cost $4395.
> Last month it cost $3995.
> This week they've dropped the price to $3395.
> These people want to move some volume!

Do you by any chance have an update on the prices for the 386/33 (prev.
priced at $2995) or the 486/25 (prev. priced at $3495)?  Also, is the
equipment changed at all?  Does the 486/33 still come with 8M of RAM/200M
HD?

Considering what I have heard of Gateway's machines (opinions of friends
who have bought their 386 systems) they'd be a great deal at $1000 more,
and so this...

	/Peter

--
MAIL: hpa@casbah.acns.nwu.edu   (hpa@nwu.edu after this summer)
"finger" the address above for more information.

buckley@milvil.enet.dec.com (Mike Buckley) (06/26/91)

Just got off the Phone with SEAN of GW2k.  The new 386/33 price is
$2795.  That is $400
off the Price quoted in the April Computer Shopper!

At this rate, it should be giveaway time real soon!

--
Mike Buckley

| Digital Equipment Corporation                           |
| 2 Results Way                                           |
| Marlboro, MA                                            |
| Standard Disclaimer:  The views of the author don't     |
|                       reflect the guy giving the        |
|                       author the blue slip on Thursday! |

stevee@ism.isc.com (Steve Ellingson) (06/28/91)

In article <5362@ryn.mro4.dec.com> buckley@milvil.enet.dec.com (Mike Buckley) writes:

>Just got off the Phone with SEAN of GW2k.  The new 386/33 price is
>$2795.  That is $400
>off the Price quoted in the April Computer Shopper!
>
>At this rate, it should be giveaway time real soon!
>

>--
>Mike Buckley
>
>+---------------------------------------------------------+
>| Digital Equipment Corporation                           |
>| 2 Results Way                                           |
>| Marlboro, MA                                            |
>|                                                         |
>| Standard Disclaimer:  The views of the author don't     |
>|                       reflect the guy giving the        |
>|                       author the blue slip on Thursday! |
>+---------------------------------------------------------+

Hmmm... I wonder if that means that they're making room at the
top of their price list for EISA machines?

			Steve

Steve Ellingson                                stevee@ism.isc.com
INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.         {ico, uunet}!ism.isc.com!stevee
2401 Colorado Ave., Santa Monica, CA 90404

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) (06/28/91)

stevee@ism.isc.com (Steve Ellingson) writes:

>>Just got off the Phone with SEAN of GW2k.  The new 386/33 price is
>>$2795.  That is $400
>>off the Price quoted in the April Computer Shopper!

>Hmmm... I wonder if that means that they're making room at the
>top of their price list for EISA machines?

Maybe a 486/33 or a 386/40?
--
 /***************************************************************************\
/ Phil Howard -- KA9WGN -- phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu   |  Guns don't aim guns at  \

In article <1991Jun27.213202.9929@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) writes:
>stevee@ism.isc.com (Steve Ellingson) writes:
>
>>>Just got off the Phone with SEAN of GW2k.  The new 386/33 price is
>>>$2795.  That is $400
>>>off the Price quoted in the April Computer Shopper!
>
>>Hmmm... I wonder if that means that they're making room at the
>>top of their price list for EISA machines?
>
>Maybe a 486/33 or a 386/40?
>--
> /***************************************************************************\
>/ Phil Howard -- KA9WGN -- phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu   |  Guns don't aim guns at  \
>\ Lietuva laisva -- Brivu Latviju -- Eesti vabaks  |  people; CRIMINALS do!!  /
> \***************************************************************************/

Gateway currently offers a 486/33, and its price has been dropping
as well.

If they don't get something into their product line-up at a higher
price point, their margins are going to grow increasingly thin...

grund@pyrite.som.cwru.edu (Victor Grund) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.213202.9929@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, phil@ux1 (Phil Howard KA9WGN) writes:
>stevee@ism.isc.com (Steve Ellingson) writes:
>>Hmmm... I wonder if that means that they're making room at the
>>top of their price list for EISA machines?
>
>Maybe a 486/33 or a 386/40?

They already sell a 486/33.  You probably mean a 486/40.

--
Victor D. Grund 		| grund@pyrite.som.cwru.edu [129.22.48.4]
IBM Cleveland                   | uunet!cwjcc!pyrite!grund

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) (06/29/91)

grund@pyrite.som.cwru.edu (Victor Grund) writes:

>In article <1991Jun27.213202.9929@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, phil@ux1 (Phil Howard KA9WGN) writes:
>>Maybe a 486/33 or a 386/40?

>They already sell a 486/33.  You probably mean a 486/40.

I didn't know a 40 MHz 486 was ready yet.  Maybe they know something I don't.
It will be interesting to see what will happen next with GW2K.  They've come
out with news case designs (just got one on my desk now), non-interlace
monitor that they are including, and various other stuff.

Of course the customer wins as long as they manage to keep the company
above the surface.... maybe.
--
 /***************************************************************************\

hpa@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (H. Peter Anvin) (06/29/91)

In article <1991Jun28.185812.4269@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> of comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,
  phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) writes:

> >>Maybe a 486/33 or a 386/40?
>
> >They already sell a 486/33.  You probably mean a 486/40.
>
> I didn't know a 40 MHz 486 was ready yet.  Maybe they know something I don't.

There is supposed to be a 50 MHz 486DX released soon.  Intel does not plan
on making a 40 MHz version.

	/Peter

LAME  = Intel 486SX   Intentionally crippled
LAMER = Intel 487SX   A functional chip which only works with a cripple
                      attached
--
INTERNET: hpa@casbah.acns.nwu.edu   (hpa@nwu.edu after this summer)
BITNET:   HPA@NUACC           HAM RADIO:  N9ITP, SM4TKN

grund@pyrite.som.cwru.edu (Victor Grund) (07/01/91)

In article <1991Jun28.185812.4269@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, phil@ux1 (Phil Howard KA9WGN) writes:
>grund@pyrite.som.cwru.edu (Victor Grund) writes:
>
>>In article <1991Jun27.213202.9929@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, phil@ux1 (Phil Howard KA9WGN) writes:
>>>Maybe a 486/33 or a 386/40?
>
>>They already sell a 486/33.  You probably mean a 486/40.
>
>I didn't know a 40 MHz 486 was ready yet.  Maybe they know something I don't.
>It will be interesting to see what will happen next with GW2K.  They've come
>out with news case designs (just got one on my desk now), non-interlace
>monitor that they are including, and various other stuff.
>
>Of course the customer wins as long as they manage to keep the company
>above the surface.... maybe.

Well, I guess Intel hasn't yet readied the 486/40 chip.  But I'm sure
it will soon follow.  IBM has already announced planned upgrade paths
to 50Mhz 486 on the model 90 and 95.  Things are rocketing along.

I'm very impressed by Gateway's no frills, provide quality, and save
you bucks attitude.  For more info on how they are doing, see the PC
Week dated June 24.

Cheers,
Victor