[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Shutting down a harddrive through software.

adnan@rice.edu (Sarmad Adnan) (07/06/90)

Hi you Gurus out there.

I would like to know if it is possible to shutdown ones Hard-drive
(MFM or RLL) using some kind of a system call, interupt, Assembly
Language call, prayer etc.

My application program(in MSC) runs on an on-board computer on a mobile robot.
I would like to be able to shutdown the harddrive using some kind of a
function call or somthing before the robot starts moving.

Is it advisable to simply use a relay to cut the power to the drive down.

                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Sarmad Adnan (adnan@rice.edu)
                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alanf@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Alan Grant Finlay) (07/08/90)

In article <9660@brazos.Rice.edu>, adnan@rice.edu (Sarmad Adnan) writes:

> I would like to know if it is possible to shutdown ones Hard-drive
>
> My application program(in MSC) runs on an on-board computer on a mobile robot.
> I would like to be able to shutdown the harddrive using some kind of a
> function call or somthing before the robot starts moving.
>
> Is it advisable to simply use a relay to cut the power to the drive down.

You probably don't need to shut down the drive, just park the heads.  I am not
sure how you would go about getting a park function - normally parking
utilities are supplied as .com type commands.  Another possibility is to use
a drive which automatically parks after a period of no activity.  I have a
40 Mbyte Miniscribe model 3650 which does this after about 30 seconds of
no activity (though I have disabled this function).  Even if you use a power
cut relay you still need to park the heads first.  I must admit I don't know
if it is safe to rotate the axis of a spinning drive even if the heads are
parked.  That shouldn't worry you if you mount the drive with the axis
aligned vertically.