[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Network Messages using PC-NFS - Any ideas?

GEustace@massey.ac.nz (Glen Eustace) (07/12/90)

We run a network with a large number of PC using the Sun Microsystems
PC-NFS software.  I am interested in being able to write or obtain
some form of TSR that we can use as the basis for a very simple
messaging system.  Due to the single process nature of a PC the
process must be able to check for messages periodically or be awoken
when a message arrives.  The latter can probably be achieved using
the PC-NFS toolkit, but applications written with it tend to be
rather large and that would not be desirable for a TSR.  The former
technique is what we had in mind.  By 'watching' a file on a network
drive it ought to be possible to detect the arrival of a message in
that file and to then display it.

I had thought that a clock based TSR would work, but I don't really
want a message popping up in the middle of a graphics application.
Another thought was to try do the check everytime an application
returned to COMMAND.COM or whatever shell the user has, but I am not
sure how this is best achieved.

Has anyone already written something like this, if you haven't but
have thought about what conclusions did you reach.

Any help would be appreciated.

  Glen Eustace, Software Manager, Computer Centre, Massey University,
   Palmerston North, New Zealand. Phone: +64 63 69099 x7440 GMT+12
             E-Mail via Internet: G.Eustace@massey.ac.nz
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

angelini@irisa.fr (Pierre Antoine Angelini) (07/12/90)

In article <848@massey.ac.nz> GEustace@massey.ac.nz (Glen Eustace) writes:
>We run a network with a large number of PC using the Sun Microsystems
>PC-NFS software.  I am interested in being able to write or obtain
>some form of TSR that we can use as the basis for a very simple
>messaging system.  Due to the single process nature of a PC the
>process must be able to check for messages periodically or be awoken
>when a message arrives.  The latter can probably be achieved using
>the PC-NFS toolkit, but applications written with it tend to be
>rather large and that would not be desirable for a TSR.  The former
>technique is what we had in mind.  By 'watching' a file on a network
>drive it ought to be possible to detect the arrival of a message in
>that file and to then display it.

Geoff told me ,three months ago, that he was working ,among many other
things,on such a device.
He then suggested to 'watch' a file on an NFS monted drive
with a TSR.

>I had thought that a clock based TSR would work, but I don't really
>want a message popping up in the middle of a graphics application.
>Another thought was to try do the check everytime an application
>returned to COMMAND.COM or whatever shell the user has, but I am not
>sure how this is best achieved.

I had the same problem, when I tried to make it.I found later in the
PC Bible (a book written by Michael TISCHER) a TSR source. It saves the
screen content before displaying something. But I had to stop my
investigations and until now, I had no time to test it.
I also thought about testing the file existence every XX keystrokes ...

>Has anyone already written something like this, if you haven't but
>have thought about what conclusions did you reach.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.

I am, indeed, interested too.

>  Glen Eustace, Software Manager, Computer Centre, Massey University,
>   Palmerston North, New Zealand. Phone: +64 63 69099 x7440 GMT+12
>             E-Mail via Internet: G.Eustace@massey.ac.nz
IFSIC /IRISA                               |
Atelier Micro                              | Telephone : 99.36.20.00 poste 480
Universite de Rennes I                     |
Campus de beaulieu                         | Fax : 99.38.38.32
35042 RENNES CEDEX - FRANCE                |