[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Windowing development tools

desmond@gvlv1.gvl.unisys.com (Ned Desmond) (07/17/90)

We are planning to implement a networked PC window/database system.  The
application we will develop involves inputting data on a limited set of
pre-defined forms,  monitoring dynamically updated status lists and large DBMS
inquiry for historical information all to facilitate a decision making process.
The PCs will be dedicated to this application, no other software beyond our
custom application will need to operate.

We would greatly appreciate your input on recommendations and experience with
available application generators or developers tools/tool kits that would help
us and have the following attributes:

       Menu definition
       Field validation
       Range checking
       Graphic (map) displays with dynamic overlays (we can do this outside of
                  the tool kit if needed)
       Direct DBMS interface, if possible
       DOS 286/386 VGA or very high resolution 1K X 1K, C environment
       Mouse support

Important considerations are ease and speed of development, code integrity and
reliability.

We are considering two implementation approaches:

1.  To develop screens using standard database screen tool kits (Sybase,
    Informix).
2.  To develop screens using window libraries such as Views, JAM, Menuet, ..

From your experience,  which direction would be more effective? If #1, which
database did you find has a more robust screen designer, SYBASE, Informix or
another?  Can you recommend any window tool libraries?

Thank You for your assistance,

Ned Desmond, desmond@gvl.unisys.com
From: desmond@gvlv1.gvl.unisys.com (Ned Desmond)
Newsgroups: Comp.os.msdos.programmer,Comp.os.msdos.apps