[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Is there anything equivalent to YACC that runs under DOS?

evil@arcturus.uucp (Wade Guthrie) (07/24/90)

Yeah, how about YACC?  (sorry, I couldn't contain myself)  Check
out Mortice Kern Systems (MKS) who produces both YACC and LEX for
the PC under DOS.  In fact, they produce a lot of nice things that
make DOS look a little more like UNIX (like vi, egrep, ctags, ksh,
etc.).

I don't have the address with me, but they advertize in places like the
C User's Journal (available at better bookstores, everywhere).  If
you need, email me and I'll get you their address.
--
Wade Guthrie (evil@arcturus.UUCP)    | "He gasped in terror at what sounded
Rockwell International; Anaheim, CA  | like a man trying to gargle while

dmurdoch@watstat.uwaterloo.ca (Duncan Murdoch) (07/25/90)

In article <1990Jul24.165844.3377@arcturus.uucp> evil@arcturus.uucp (Wade Guthrie) writes:
>Yeah, how about YACC?  (sorry, I couldn't contain myself)  Check
>out Mortice Kern Systems (MKS) who produces both YACC and LEX for
>the PC under DOS.  In fact, they produce a lot of nice things that
>make DOS look a little more like UNIX (like vi, egrep, ctags, ksh,
>etc.).

There's also the free LEX_YACC.ARC, in Simtel20 in the PD1:<MSDOS.TXTUTL>
directory.  It emits Turbo Pascal 4+ code, rather than C, and seems to work
pretty well.  It also has nice documentation.

Duncan Murdoch

towfiq@interlan.Interlan.COM (Mark Towfigh) (07/27/90)

(Wade Guthrie) writes:
   Yeah, how about YACC?  (sorry, I couldn't contain myself)  Check
   out Mortice Kern Systems (MKS) who produces both YACC and LEX for
   the PC under DOS.  In fact, they produce a lot of nice things that
   make DOS look a little more like UNIX (like vi, egrep, ctags, ksh,
   etc.).

Well, how about GNU BISON (a replacement for LEX+YACC)?  Available
from prep.ai.mit.edu, just compile with switched for MS-DOS, and it
generates better code than YACC (even with comments)!
--
Mark Towfigh, Racal InterLan, Inc.                 towfiq@interlan.Interlan.COM
W: (508) 263-9929 H: (617) 488-2818                       uunet!interlan!towfiq

  "The Earth is but One Country, and Mankind its Citizens" -- Baha'u'llah