[comp.os.msdos.programmer] BGI driver for V7 256 color mode

kevino@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Kevin Owen) (07/27/90)

I am looking for a BGI driver for the 640x480x256 color mode on a Headland (V7)
video card.  If such a driver is available I would also be interested in a
code fragment that indicates how to "install" the driver and access the 256
color pallette.

Any help on this one would be appreciated.

 _   ,                   __                 Kevin Owen @ Hewlett-Packard
' ) /                   / ')                Sunnyvale, California
 /-<   _ , __o  ____   /  / , , , _  ____   Phone :    (408) 720-3845
/   ) </_\/ <__/ / <  (__/ (_(_/_</_/ / <_  UN*X Mail  ...hplabs!hpccc!kevino

readdm@walt.cc.utexas.edu (David M. Read) (07/30/90)

In article <10210005@hpspcoi.HP.COM> kevino@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Kevin Owen) writes:
>I am looking for a BGI driver for the 640x480x256 color mode on a Headland (V7)
>video card.  If such a driver is available I would also be interested in a
>code fragment that indicates how to "install" the driver and access the 256
>color pallette.
>
>Any help on this one would be appreciated.

If you look in SIMTEL20 under the directory pd1:<msdos.borland>, you
will find the entire Borland BGI Toolkit for the creation of new
BGI drivers, including a sample BGI driver called
    BGVGA256.ARC
which allows access to 320x200x256.  I'm sure that changing the code
to allow you to access the higher resolution you want won't be too
difficult!

As for installing it, if you know how to use *any* BGI driver, using this
one won't be any different.  I don't think there's any way to implement
it in already-existing executable code, though.

If you don't have access to SIMTEL, let me know & I'll mail you the
BGI toolkit; I downloaded it a few days ago and am now plodding through
it.

Hope it helps...

-Dave                                 | LAMPF and UT don't believe that
 Dave Read: read@lampf.lanl.gov       | their people have opinions.  Who
            read@physics.utexas.edu   | am I to disillusion them?
            readdm@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu | #include <cutepicture.h>