[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Booting PC-NFS off ROM?

TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET (Thomas Dwyer III) (07/27/90)

Does anyone know of a method do boot PC-NFS off a ROM?  Suppose we write
our own PROM to download a bootdisk image into memory.  How would we then
get the PC to use this disk image instead of the A: drive?  Or suppose
we steal INT 13 and just feed the BIOS our own bootstrap code when it
tries to read the boot sector.  This code would then download IBMBIO.COM
and run it, but then how do we feed it IBMDOS.COM, etc?

Any comments/suggestions/etc?

Thanks,
Thomas Dwyer III                            TOMIII   @ MTUS5.BITNET
Network Programmer                          DWYERIII @ MTUS5.BITNET
Computing Technology Services
Michigan Technological University

angelini@irisa.fr (Pierre Antoine Angelini) (07/27/90)

In article <90207.161845TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET> TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET (Thomas Dwyer III) writes:
>Does anyone know of a method do boot PC-NFS off a ROM?  Suppose we write
>our own PROM to download a bootdisk image into memory.  How would we then
>get the PC to use this disk image instead of the A: drive?  Or suppose
>we steal INT 13 and just feed the BIOS our own bootstrap code when it
>tries to read the boot sector.  This code would then download IBMBIO.COM
>and run it, but then how do we feed it IBMDOS.COM, etc?
>
>Any comments/suggestions/etc?

This has been made by:

Schasiepen(ratingen)

Address:
Carl Schasiepen Gmbh
Harkorsts 25 Postfach 22 60
4030 Ratingen 1 Tiefenbroich
Germany

Tel 49 2102 49 06 0

They use a 3C503 or WD8003EBT

I didn't order it, so I can't give any other impressions about that product.
It works with Bootp and Tftp, loads an image of the PC system, etc...

Pierre Antoine ANGELINI (PAA)                             ||
E-MAIL : angelini@irisa.fr
IFSIC /IRISA
Atelier Micro
Universite de Rennes I
Campus de beaulieu
35042 RENNES CEDEX - FRANCE

milton@ecn.purdue.edu (Milton D Miller) (07/30/90)

In article <90207.161845TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET> TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET (Thomas Dwyer III) writes:
>Does anyone know of a method do boot PC-NFS off a ROM?  Suppose we write
>our own PROM to download a bootdisk image into memory.  How would we then
>get the PC to use this disk image instead of the A: drive?  Or suppose
>we steal INT 13 and just feed the BIOS our own bootstrap code when it
>tries to read the boot sector.  This code would then download IBMBIO.COM
>and run it, but then how do we feed it IBMDOS.COM, etc?
>
>Any comments/suggestions/etc?

Rather then catching INT13, why not start with INT 19, the boot interrupt?
(The ROM routine for INT19 tries the disk, and is intercepted by the
hard disk controller rom to enable booting from the hard disk).

I haven't looked into this in too much detail, so I can't tell you  how
to load IBMDOS after you give it IBMBIO, mabye you could do
a combined image?

milton